Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else finding that the USB port is finicky in their Bose systems? I have a 2010 2LT AWD with the 10 speaker Bose sound system.

I find that the USB stick is seldom found/initialized when I first start up regardless of what source was selected (AM, FM, XM, USB) or if the radio is off or on. Typically I have to pull it out and re-insert it several times before I see the LED in the stick start to wink. Of course this is quite dangerous to be playing with while you're driving down the road so I often have to wait a minute or two until I can get the stick engaged before I can drive away.

I've tried two different brands of USB sticks, one a 32G and the other an 8G.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I leave my IPOD in there all the time and have never had a problem.

8) Steve

·
Registered
212 Posts
Make sure your USB stick is formatted in either FAT 16 or FAT 32. :blob:
Large capacity USB sticks are formatted in NTFS which is not supported :eek:hno: on our vehicles.

Here is what I found on our 2010 Manual.

USB Supported File and Folder
Structure
The radio supports:
. Up to 700 folders.
. Up to 8 folders in depth.
. Up to 65,535 files.
. Folder and file names up to
64 bytes.
. Files with an .mp3 or .wma file
extension.
. AAC files stored on an iPod.
. FAT16
. FAT32

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Carl_NDelta said:
Typically I have to pull it out and re-insert it several times before I see the LED in the stick start to wink. Of course this is quite dangerous to be playing with while you're driving down the road
:happy: :happy: :happy:

Okay, after getting over the dirty mind syndrome...

I havn't used our USB port for a memory stick yet, but I did use it whith my iPod last night, and it worked even better than I expected. I didn't expect to be able to skip songs via the steering wheel controls. I thought for sure I would have to use the iPod itself, like I have to on my boat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cruzer said:
Large capacity USB sticks are formatted in NTFS which is not supported :eek:hno: on our vehicles.

Structure
The radio supports:
. Up to 700 folders.
. Up to 65,535 files.
64 bytes.
extension.
. FAT16
. FAT32
I'm using FAT32, 1400 files in 140 folders, no more than 3 folders in depth.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I burned a cd with mp3 files put in the cd player and it plays those with no problem I have sbout 400 songs on that cd.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update... pulled out a 4G SanDisk Cruzer I use for work and copied my music to it, same files as the other two USB sticks. Works like a charm.

All three sticks use FAT32 formatting.

So is it a size issue? The 32G and 8G did not work reliably. I'd bet there is a memory address issue.

Or is a brand issue? Sandisk vs 32G Kingston vs 8G Patriot.

I also tried my 4G Creative MP3 player and it would not recognize it which I'd expected as I'd read of others trying them without success.

So now I'm going to wait a bit and try to find an 8G SanDisk Cruzer on sale to try that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An update... I've acquired an 8G Sandisk Cruzer (on sale locally) and it seems to be working flawlessly with about 5G of music on it. Same FAT32 formatting as the others.

So now I'm puzzled as to why the 8G Patriot Mini did not work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The port is sensitive to the format of the drive. I had 2 16gb thumbdrives with music that worked with a previouse sound system. Both are from different manufactures. One worked perfectly, the other could not be recognized. Back-up your drive and then reformat it in FAT 32 with 8192 sector size. Do a complete format, not the quick...burn your files back to the drive and it should work.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
whittlc said:
Back-up your drive and then reformat it in FAT 32 with 8192 sector size. Do a complete format, not the quick...burn your files back to the drive and it should work.
Done... no joy. :(

Tried it with the Patriot 8GB stick.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old topic, but I am having the same troubles. I couldn't get a 32GB patriot stick to work, but the 16 GB stick worked. Then I reformatted the 32 GB stick to 16KB partitions, and it recognized it, but half the songs would be skipped over due to invalid ID3 tags. I guess I can try other format sizes. Curious what the topic writer ended up doing? I read one person having success with SanDisk Ultra Backup 64 GB. I am going to buy one I think, but I would like more confirmation that it works other than one single person's post... Not sure if anyone has had any success with large size thumbdrives. I would hate to get an ipod just to put in the car - I already have a zune and don't really care for an ipod, especially when there doesn't seem to be any reason that these thumbdrives should have such issues.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To update...

I was down in the USA on vacation last week and picked up an item I could not find locally in Canada - a LEXAR ZX 16GB USB drive. LEXAR is a well respected name in the photography digital memory market so I had high hopes.

http://www.lexar.com/products/lexar-echo-zx-backup-drive-0

Did a quick format to FAT32 default allocation unit size and copied over my music - works great but I have only 20 minutes or so of stepping through the folders and trying various songs so hopefully I will not run into any gitches during my next road trip.

This is a VERY low profile USB stick and works great in the 2010's where the USB port is in the centre console. The "cap" portion of the stick sticks out no more than 5/16" where as my Sandisk units are about 2 and 5/16" in height. No more fear of bumping the USB stick when using the centre console. This would likely also be an issue with the 2011's where the port is in the top dashboard bin.

Lacie and Verbatim also have versions of this form factor. The Verbatim does not have a LED in it.

I found it being cleared out at Office Depot... $29 for the 16GB. Not the cheapest per GB but ideal for my purposes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I too tried an off-brand (Patriot Dash) 32 GB stick, formatted FAT32. It has the same problem with not connecting when restarting the vehicle. I have to pull it out and reinstall it AFTER starting. If I stop briefly and restart, have to perform the same procedure. Other than that, it plays and acts just like my iPod. I was wondering if a name brand stick would work better as I would rather use it than the iPod which I use for my exercising walks and every time I eject and reinstall it, it starts at Track 1.

UPDATE: April 27, 2012
Bought a 16GB Toshiba stick, formatted in FAT32 and dropped @13GB of MP3 tunes on it. Performs flawlessly! Connects within 5 sec of starting the vehicle (or first insertion) and if the vehicle is turned off, returns not only to the last song played, but at the same track time the vehicle was shut off. Even if I electronically eject the stick and reinsert it, begins playing exactly where it left off. Must be the vehicle memory doing all that. So, stick manufacturer DOES matter!

·
Registered
3 Posts

Structure
The radio supports:
. Up to 700 folders.
. Up to 65,535 files.
64 bytes.
extension.
. FAT16
. FAT32

·
Registered
3 Posts
Cruzer,
You seen knowledgeable... the one frustration I have with the system is when you're listening to usb stick and turn off the car: when you start up again, the USB stick starts over at the beginning. It doesn't pick up where you left off. Very frustrating for a book on tape or something. Any remedy?
Thanks, Dan.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Cruzer,
You seen knowledgeable... the one frustration I have with the system is when you're listening to usb stick and turn off the car: when you start up again, the USB stick starts over at the beginning. It doesn't pick up where you left off. Very frustrating for a book on tape or something. Any remedy?
Thanks, Dan.
This might help:

·
Registered
3 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts