Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 390 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would initiate a thread which hopefully will be regularly added to. I know there are UOAs referenced in various threads in this Traverse Forum but I think we need to consolidate. Here are the details of my 4 consecutive UOAs (the most recent sampled last weekend November 14/09):

Since draining the FF, for the next 3 OCIs I have been consistent re the oil used (synthetic QHorsepower 5W30; a GM 4718 rated oil) and filter (PF48). Each run has been for more miles than the previous. I was intending to go much longer on this most recent interval but the good weather last Saturday convinced me to do my oil change now before the messy winter comes. I think I will be able to go with this current fill of Petro Canada 0W30 till the next bit of good dry warm weather in April/May.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Excellent thread...
But whats up with all the little squares--- or are those 0's

·
Registered
272 Posts
Thanks for starting this Copper. You had almost 3700 mi on your last change. I should be doing mine by Jan. with 5k on that oil and we'll see how the longer OC holds up. As you noticed in my last report Blackstone recommended 6k on this change but I'm not going that far yet.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kawazar said:
I should be doing mine by Jan. with 5k on that oil and we'll see how the longer OC holds up.
I am not talking to you until you submit your previous UOA and I hope the next to BITOG! ;)

(Any luck getting registered yet?)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Alright, alright, I'll post it. I haven't tried another email yet. Just lazy I guess, or is it the hockey season? No, can't blame hockey, can't blame hockey!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rbarrios said:
Excellent thread...
But whats up with all the little squares--- or are those 0's
Sorry for the formatting. I have instead uploaded a jpg which should be easier to read.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kawazar said:
Just lazy I guess, or is it the hockey season? No, can't blame hockey, can't blame hockey!
Being busy with hockey is one excuse I can understand.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Here is my most recent analysis. I had 4970 mi on the oil and 9759 mi on the Traverse. The fuel content was a little high because I drove it for a 1/2 hr. then parked it for an hour. Then I started it for about a minute to put it on the ramps and I think the engine was too cold at that point and put extra fuel in the oil. As usual Mobil 1 5w30 and AC Delco PF48 filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
381 Posts
I can't imagine that little bit of time to pull it up on the ramps would put that much fuel dilution in it. I usually stop the vehicle before I pull it on the ramps, but don't let it cool down that long before draining the oil so I don't know from personal experience.

Nice UOA if it weren't for the fuel dilution. I hope that is the cause.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for continuing to post your successive UOAs. Clearly your engine is completing its break in as with almost double the mileage of the previous OCI, silicon and copper dropped noticeably :thumb:. And as we see here DI engines are notorious for fuel dilution. With this fuel we see that the oil sheared significantly...too a 20wt. Maybe that is reflected in less protection as seen by the iron # or it may be the case that our/your engine will always throws out a lot of iron ???.

I assume you refilled with more M1 5W-30 and another PF48?

Maybe you will do a similar OCI ie 5k miles to compare to this almost 5k benchmark?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
kawazar said:
Here is my most recent analysis. I had 4970 mi on the oil and 9759 mi on the Traverse. The fuel content was a little high because I drove it for a 1/2 hr. then parked it for an hour. Then I started it for about a minute to put it on the ramps and I think the engine was too cold at that point and put extra fuel in the oil. As usual Mobil 1 5w30 and AC Delco PF48 filter.
Would you mind saying what this UOA is costing each time?

Bob

·
Registered
381 Posts
Blackstone Labs charges $22.50 for the basic UOA, plus $10 if you want the TBN done. The kits to mail it is free and shipping to them is less than $2.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Im at about 4300 miles on my oil. (about 6100 on my 2010 so far).
I will be changing the when this oil hits 5000 miles and getting a used oil analysis.
Im currently at 57% oil life.
But ill be sure to post my results. Im running PF-48 and regular dino oil (valvoline)

·
Registered
272 Posts
I forgot to add that my OLM was at 60%. Also, I think the engine was cold when I started it to pull on the ramps. As you know, the DI engine when cold gives 2 sprays of fuel to each cycle to bring the converter and other emission items up to temp then it returns to 1 spray per cycle. The "skip" (we talked about in another post) shortly after starting is the change over of the 2 sprays of fuel to 1 spray. The short time I ran it I believe it was in that 2 spray cycle. Just my theory on why there's extra fuel.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
rbarrios said:
I will be changing the when this oil hits 5000 miles and getting a used oil analysis.
But ill be sure to post my results. Im running PF-48 and regular dino oil (valvoline)
barrios, I am looking forward to seeing your UOA for a 5k mile OCI on dino. And then of course we can compare it to kawazar's almost 5k run on synthetic M1.

I am about 2200 miles (75% on the OLM) into my currrent OCI. I will change it out at 5k miles or 50% on the OLM...whatever comes first....likely March if I wait till 50% OLM or April if I go by mileage. What is a bit unique for my current run is that I am using a 0W30.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
kawazar said:
As you know, the DI engine when cold gives 2 sprays of fuel to each cycle to bring the converter and other emission items up to temp then it returns to 1 spray per cycle. The "skip" (we talked about in another post) shortly after starting is the change over of the 2 sprays of fuel to 1 spray. The short time I ran it I believe it was in that 2 spray cycle. Just my theory on why there's extra fuel.
Maybe. But given the significant shearing we see in your UOA leads me to believe that there has been fuel present in the sump on going?

I suspect I have fuel dilution issues as well. I say this for two reasons:
  • I can smell gas on the dipstick :eek:hno:
  • it seems the oil level as indicated on the dipstick has gone up since the last change in November! (although that would imply lots of gas. I am hoping that this is my imagination)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Glad to hear some of you are doing UOA. I'll be doing the same thing for at least the first few oil changes and throw a TBN in there at the third oil change to see if break-in is done. I'll probably switch to Mobil 1 shortly after that and do a TBN after the first synthetic oil change to see how far a synthetic could go in this engine.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I utilized the UOA process when engine failures occured and oil analysis was requested for GM documentation.

That being said, what is to be gained by doing UOA on the Traverses? This isn't meant to be a "sly" question, I'm looking for insight.

Bob

1 - 20 of 390 Posts