Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got three cars I regularly drive so I don't carry the key fob remotes. When I unlock the Traverse with the key, the horn beeps until I insert the key into the ignition. This is appatently an anti-theft setting but it is annoying, especially late at night. Now I've gotten in the habit of not locking the doors to avoid the horn. I've read the manual quite a few times and tried every way I can think of to lock/unlock with just the key, but every way gets the horn. Is there a way to lock the doors without arming the alarm? I asked the dealer about disabling the warning tone or the alarm in general, but they don't know/don't care.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I first discovered this (very annoying!) trait with my wife's G6, even though there's a chip in the key for anti theft. Can't this chip recognize it's car?

·
Registered
381 Posts
My key FOB for my 07 Acadia is not working (wife ran it over...don't ask please). I have no problem unlocking the doors with the key and starting without a problem. Seems as though they might have changed something since.

On my Acadia, if I turn the key in the door a second time, it unlocks all the doors. Maybe give that a try?

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) OK are you locking the doors with the remote then unlocking with the key? If you are you are turning on the alarm with the remote. Try locking the doors with the key then unlocking them with the key and see if that works. I have not tried it on the Traverse but the last couple GM ' s I owned that's how it worked the remote automatically locked all the doors & armed the alarm as a safety feature.

8) Steve

·
Registered
72 Posts
Locking the car with the key should be the working one but if not, have you tried locking it from the inside? By pushing the switch. Do this with the key in the ignition (and your door open obviously) and the 3 chimes shouldnt ring but the doors should lock. If the 3 chimes ring push unlock on the switch to disarm it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the ideas. I have done some testing with my 2009 Traverse. There are only three ways I have found to lock the car without enabling the security system. Enabling the security system is what causes the annoying warning tones (horn) when using the key to unlock.

Method 1: Lock all the doors manually. That is, press down the door lock plunger manually on each door. Throws you back to the 70's, doesn't it? Isn't technology great.

Method 2: After shutting off the ignition but before opening the drivers door, lock all the doors with the drivers power lock button. Then unlock the drivers door manually, exit the car, and lock it manually with the key.

Method 3: With the ignition on, open the drivers door, use the power lock button to lock all the doors (drivers door will automatically unlock). Remove the key from the ignition, exit the car and lock the drivers door manually.

To respond directly to a couple ideas posted above, hitting unlock twice with the key doesn't do anything special. That worked on my '99 Mercury. Holding the key in the unlock position for 2 seconds doesn't do anything special. That works on my '04 Mazda. Yes, no matter what you do, if the security system is armed (with remote, power lock button, etc) you will need the remote to silently unlock the car.

Still a PITA. Does anybody have the full shop manual that gives more detail about the security system? I'm not against disconnecting wires or removing fuses. Moving the horn to switched power with a 30 second power delay would also work at the cost of silencing the alarm and panic button.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I would use method 2 myself. Wonder why there's not a setting in the driver information center to set it to "unlock with key", or something like that. I really think only about 1 in 200,000 (maybe even less than that) people would want to unlock a vehicle with the key, when the vehicle has keyless. I understand your reason, buy why not just carry the Traverse's Fob, keep all the other ones with just keys on your ring?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, you've encounted two of us on this board alone trying to unlock their vehicles with their keys. That indicates your 1 in 200,000 statistic might be off. Thank you for the helpful insight.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:sunny: Still a PITA. Does anybody have the full shop manual that gives more detail about the security system? I'm not against disconnecting wires or removing fuses. Moving the horn to switched power with a 30 second power delay would also work at the cost of silencing the alarm and panic button.
Here is the problem with that the door locks work through a relay this also is the same relay that sets the alarm so if pull the fuse you will disable the power door locks as well as the alarm then you will be back in the 70’s. If they manufactured the alarm so it could simply be with passed with out the owner doing it manually with the key then the insurance company would price you insurance as if the vehicle didn’t come with an alarm at all. This is more than likely why it is designed in that manner. I have an after market alarm on my 2004 Silverado and even with the bybass installed for the after market alarm when the alarm is in Valet / bypass the factory alarm takes over when you use the remote.

8) Steve

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for your persistence, reedbr. I had given up and had been using the fob, but now I've been able to get that lump out of my pocket! A huge improvement!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts