Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any data on the anti-freeze/coolant I've seen in parts stores that says it replaces both the old green Ethylene-glycol and the Orange Dex-cool types. I am nervous to use this, but I wonder if it's really okay. :help:

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I'm nervous to use anything else except Dex-cool. Especially since the owner's manual calls for Dex-cool. It just seems like less of a hassle for warranty if you just use the GM stuff, instead of mixing in universal coolant. That's JMHO.

Mark

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
just go to Wal Mart and buy the Prestone---Premixed Dexcool 50/50 .

GM APRROVED... :thumb:

Since its premixed--- you just pour it in.

Unless you want to buy the concentrated stuff and mix your own water/dexcool.

·
Registered
78 Posts
X2 on the Prestone. It is a good bit cheaper if you mix it yourself. I had heard some bad things about the regular GM Dex-cool... gumming up heater cores and such. On my current GM I had the cooling system flushed and replaced with Prestone to avoid those issues. But, maybe GM has improved their formula over the years.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Dexcool is a problem is theres a leak in the system- where air can get in--- then it tends to gunk up...
But Dexcool is very good.
It will go 150,000 or 5 yrs in a sealed system

Heres my 2003 Trailblazer- I changed out a lazy thermostat at 111,000.
That is one CLEAN cooling system. note the marks from the cast foam engine making process. the little round balls.
I replaced the dexcool at about 135,000 I think.... along with upper and lower hoses--- when I was prepping to make a 3000 mile trip to Mexico.
Now at 157,000.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
just go to Wal Mart and buy the Prestone---Premixed Dexcool 50/50 .

GM APRROVED... :thumb:

Since its premixed--- you just pour it in.
That is exactly what I have on my garage for top up(s).

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Other than pure convenience, I don't get the logic behind buying 50/50 when you compare the cost of it to non-diluted coolant. That half gallon of water is pricey indeed.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
wit the 50/50 stuff-- you grab it-- pour- done.

the concentrated stuff- you have to measure the concentrated stuff- AND BUY distilled water- then premix - then pour.
unless you simply do the ohhh a little of this--- and a little of that.. and eyeball it as you pour in?

If youre using tap water--- then you just introduced minerals into your cooling system.

·
Registered
54 Posts
unforunately, my local walmart doesnt have the premixed prestone dex-cool...but i found on a Canadian Tire webiste,
Peak's version of dex-cool....BUT it doesn't say 'extended-life', though everything seems to be the same.

Is this the same as the Prestone version?

There seems to be alot of horror stories out there about Dex-Cool...is this something to be concerned about? I don't want to mess up my warranttee but does anyone have any experience with the Lambda DI engine NOT on the Dex-cool or the Peak/Prestone versions of it?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I currently have the universal fluid in my Silverado. I had a water pump go bad at 175,000 miles ( not bad actuall, just a slow leak ) so I replaced the pump, and drained as much of the fluid as I could. From there, I decided to use the universal Anti-freeze as I wasn't sure how much of the Dex was still left in the system. As of now, 2 years, and 20,000 miles later, the Silverado is still running strong, and it doesn't get that pink dusty buildup around the overflow reservoir that it use to with the factory Dex. I don't see a problem with the Universal, especiallly in my case, where I was WAAAAY out of warranty.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The only real issue with Dex-cool is if you mix it with "the yellow stuff" it will turn to slug.

Dex-Cool is easier on the gaskets and rubber items then "the yellow stuff".

The only issue I've seen with Dex is if anything gets in with it the slug will start to form.

I know people say it slugs up for no reason but they usually have other issues that cause it IE oil and fuel leaking in some where.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts