Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have been reading various posts around the forum to learn more about care, maintenance, upgrading and repairing my Traverse. I am running into dilemma I am hoping someone might be able to give me some advise on or had faced a similar problem and can let me know how they handled it. Sorry for the long post, I wanted to make sure i put out all the info I could so it would be easier for people to help.

I have a 2012 Traverse LS ~199k kms on it. Bought used Nov 2017 with approx 135k. We've had some maintenance we were frustrated with but otherwise happy with it. we did have to rewire the front washer fluid spray to the rear as the button wasn't working and there was no indication why (relevant later). I've read the posts about people upgrading the stereo, back up camera, etc and I would like to do all that, but, we have a major electrical issue.

We had some hard starts Spring 2019. It would hesitate and not start on first key turn. Second key turn and it would start.....with some disagreement. That's when I started looking to see what I could find. ABS and Stabilitrak lights came on as well as the airbag lights. We replaced a rear right wheel bearing. Lights went out. Confirmed the air bag recall was done, maybe need to touch it up? We had a heavy rain storm and it wouldn't start at all after. The next day, started no problem. We had the windshield replaced after an incident in June 2019 and after we thought we noticed water on the carpet after it was sitting in some rain. Then we had another big rain storm. Drove to work and we noticed as we turned we could see water pouring out each side, right on the outside of each foot well. Most recently, Feb 21 2020, it wouldn't start and when I tested the battery it was reading 9.5V. I replaced the battery and it started up without a problem but I pulled code P062F which is internal control module EEPROM error. The recommended fix by the code reader (Blue Driver) is to replace the underhood Bussed Electrical Center. Where it did start no problem with the new battery I am not sure if the code is related to the UBEC or just the battery being too weak to properly start.

Then I found this, TSB SB-10024244-3287, It's the service bulletin where GM advised of a leak through the firewall and possibly on to the internal fuse panel which can cause electrical issues and no start. I did the best inspection I can without a full dash tear down and I don't see any signs of corrosion they report on the TSB. I am ordering new side extensions for the cowl and the sealant they recommend to properly fix the leak.

I have also found posts about the underhood fuse panel and how that pulls up from the contacts creating a loose connection. I did see the post Half of my electrical systems stopped working which someone recommends putting some form under the base to push the connectors up to the fuse box as the screws start to come loose or get stripped causing the connection to get bad and all the electrical issues/no start can occur. I am going to try to foam trick short term (I don't mind buying a new box as I see they have an updated version which I hope means they fixed it) but I don't want to put the money out yet until I am sure of the issue.

What I am hoping someone can help with is this, would it be more likely to be the underhood fuse box as that appears to be more common an issue and I have no visible signs of corrosion from what I can see, or is the passenger side dash easy enough to take out that I should just try and tackle that first, to be 100% sure on the interior as that is the more likely cause out of the two issues?

Thank you for reading, and again, sorry about the long post, I just wanted to get as much info here as possible to hopefully make it easier for anyone able and willing to help.

Cheers,
Andrew

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had a leak around my windshield that let water into the under glove box fuse box. I had all kinds of idiot lights come on. About the same time the battery went dead. Dealer replaced fuse box and battery and all has been well for the last 3 years and 51K miles.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Just so you're aware, since you have a 2012: They changed the underhood fuse and relay box sometime early in the 2012 builds. Prior to 2012, if you bought a Traverse with the V92 tow package, you got a fuse box that had all the internal connections for the towing fuses and relays. But if you bought a Traverse without the V92 package, the fuse box only had one side of each of the connections for the towing fuses and relays. These are the fuse locations to check for just one prong: F24, F41, F22, F4 (numbers are next to the fuse locations).

Sometime in the early 2012 build, they eliminated the non-V92 fuse block and everybody got the V92 box with all the connections.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just so you're aware, since you have a 2012: They changed the underhood fuse and relay box sometime early in the 2012 builds. Prior to 2012, if you bought a Traverse with the V92 tow package, you got a fuse box that had all the internal connections for the towing fuses and relays. But if you bought a Traverse without the V92 package, the fuse box only had one side of each of the connections for the towing fuses and relays. These are the fuse locations to check for just one prong: F24, F41, F22, F4 (numbers are next to the fuse locations).

Sometime in the early 2012 build, they eliminated the non-V92 fuse block and everybody got the V92 box with all the connections.
Thank you for the info! We do have the trailer package, and from what I can remember based on how the factory installed look, it is factory. I have been looking for the V92, well the replacement to the V92 fuse block since they discontinued both when they made the switch. Thanks for the heads up.

And thank you revpeach, that's what I've been seeing, I am just hoping I can avoid either the bill involved with someone replacing it, or doing the work myself so, hopefully it's the underhood box.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts