Traverse Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a GPS and was taking a trip out of town but decide to give Onstar's turn by turn navigation a chance, being that it came free for the first year on the wife's Traverse... We went to Orlando and it got us to the hotel we were staying at just fine. So we went downtown to grab a bite to eat, decided to try onstar to get us back to the hotel... Guess not... we try to connect to virtual advisor... get System is having trouble, we figure it's because we were moving.... We stop and try it again... Same thing, this time it says the Nav system is down try again later. Thank God we were only a few miles from the Hotel... Next time it's the GPS... plus with my GPS, I can see what is in the surrounding area for shopping....Guess I won't be renewing the Onstar Turn by turn when it comes due.... Just thought I would share...

·
Registered
865 Posts
You know, we had trouble with the NAV while in low-lying areas on our trip. I know you're talking about the OnStar system, but I suspect these systems work about the same.

It seemed like the satellites would lose track and then be behind on updating our position when the system started tracking us again. I blew right by one turn after being down in a gulley about 1/4 mile before the intersection. The system told me to turn in a 1/4 mile as I passed through the intersection. Not a huge deal, but I can see how people are getting lost when having GPS or NAV in their cars.

·
Registered
407 Posts
molina67 said:
Okay so I have a GPS and was taking a trip out of town but decide to give Onstar's turn by turn navigation a chance, being that it came free for the first year on the wife's Traverse... We went to Orlando and it got us to the hotel we were staying at just fine. So we went downtown to grab a bite to eat, decided to try onstar to get us back to the hotel... Guess not... we try to connect to virtual advisor... get System is having trouble, we figure it's because we were moving.... We stop and try it again... Same thing, this time it says the Nav system is down try again later. Thank God we were only a few miles from the Hotel... Next time it's the GPS... plus with my GPS, I can see what is in the surrounding area for shopping....Guess I won't be renewing the Onstar Turn by turn when it comes due.... Just thought I would share...
Yeah, I give Onstar a B-...it's worked for us sometimes, but gave us error messages like you got before as well. I would call Onstar and explain your dissatisfaction, and maybe they will offer you an extension of the free trial period...never know, doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
551 Posts
We have the nav so I have never tried it in our traverse. However, we did drive the mother in law's Cadillac SRX to Florida and we got lost because the nav kept freezing. Called on star and they sent directions right to the car, worked very well. Only issue, it would lose or drop the signal often, maybe 1 or 2 an hour! We had to call back and they apologized and sent the signal again. We never had to give them the destination address again, they had that, but it was a bit of a pain.

It is good if you need it everyone once and a while, however I would not rely on it if you had to use it often.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I thought once the directions were in the car, you are all set....and just the call to Onstar could get dropped....but maybe the actual directions can drop...didn't know that. I also use the mapquest directions sent to the car via onstar, and that works good too, don't have to talk to anyone, just enter it in on your home computer (or other device) and send them to vehicle. Then say "virtual advisor" and you will be able to select which destination you want. All via the voice commands, which I don't like....sometimes they don't understand me, and I have to scream the commands....but if you allow enough time, and be patient...it usually works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is exactly what I did.... sent the info via mapquest, the problem came in when I was trying to connect to the virtual advisor, I couldn't the system was down.

I'm with you Tiestosteele, I still write down directions from either google or mapquest, just in case.... and having it for an emergency is fine, but I don't think I'll be renewing the turn by turn, I'll just stick with my GPS...

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I ran into the unable to connect 1 time. But we waited a few min- then came thru.
But we use Onstar/Enav quite a bit. Personnal- and for work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts