Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving my Traverse to work today, which is rare, because I have a company vehicle, but I got onto the highway and set my cruise control to 105km/h. I started down a hill, which never causes the transmission to down shift to maintain the speed. I can always go down without gaining speed.

Anyways, I was about 1/3 of the way down the hill, when I decided to lightly press on the accelerater to pass someone in the right lane. The Traverse stayed in 6th gear. I started speeding up, 110km/h......115km/h, then my transmission down shifted to 5th. I thought that was really strange because I was no longer speeding up at this point, but I was still on the gas pedal "maintaining" my speed of 115km/h. Then the transmission down shifted to 4th gear, still I kept my foot on the accelerater, still doing 115km/h.

I then signalled over back to the right lane, let off the gas pedal, the Traverse stayed in 4th until I got to 105km/h, then it upshifted back to 6th.

I have never had this happen before. I always drive with my cruise on, and have passed people on flat stetches of highway before, without the down shift.

This didn't really bother me, but I don't know if it is right. I wonder if it would have downshifted to 3rd or not, but I ran out of hill to find out.

Comments?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Quantum said:
So I was driving my Traverse to work today, which is rare, because I have a company vehicle, but I got onto the highway and set my cruise control to 105km/h. I started down a hill, which never causes the transmission to down shift to maintain the speed. I can always go down without gaining speed.

Anyways, I was about 1/3 of the way down the hill, when I decided to lightly press on the accelerater to pass someone in the right lane. The Traverse stayed in 6th gear. I started speeding up, 110km/h......115km/h, then my transmission down shifted to 5th. I thought that was really strange because I was no longer speeding up at this point, but I was still on the gas pedal "maintaining" my speed of 115km/h. Then the transmission down shifted to 4th gear, still I kept my foot on the accelerater, still doing 115km/h.

I then signalled over back to the right lane, let off the gas pedal, the Traverse stayed in 4th until I got to 105km/h, then it upshifted back to 6th.

I have never had this happen before. I always drive with my cruise on, and have passed people on flat stetches of highway before, without the down shift.

This didn't really bother me, but I don't know if it is right. I wonder if it would have downshifted to 3rd or not, but I ran out of hill to find out.

Comments?
If down hill assist kicks in, just tap the accelerator and it will turn off and shift back up again. I only see it (at least right now) kick in around 40-48 mph. I have not tried on bigger/longer hills.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
To me, this is a bit of a stupid option on the Traverse, the way it is currently set up. I can understand having a downhill assist on a vehicle that will assist in slowing you down, if/when you are going below 50mph. and it is obvious that you are on the brakes. If you are just coasting, or even on the accelerator, why in the heck would the vehicle's computer try to couteract what you are doing, in trying to slow you down??? This makes now sense, and in fact, I would say it is dumb to have the down hill assist set up this way. I personally like to coast when going down hills. If my cruise is set at 65mph, and I am going down a large enough hill that my vehicle will actually gain speed by coasting, let it be already. Don't try and slow me down, only to have to downshift when going back up the other side of the hill, because the stupid car didn't let me carry my momentum. In this case, I'd say I prefer a not so "smart" car. This will actually hurt your fuel mileage as well. ::)

Wish there was a way to program your own "down hill assist" to your liking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The only way to avoid the downhill assist to keep the car in manual (but its really auto still). I think it then bypasses the system, but I cant recall.. on vacation this week. I really do not like it because it kicks in all the time it seems like. I can be on a flat street and feel the car downshifting faster than the car is slowing down. Feels like when I let off the gas at around 35 and coast to a stop sign, the car is thrown anchors out the back.

·
Registered
80 Posts
tomme12 said:
The only way to avoid the downhill assist to keep the car in manual (but its really auto still). I think it then bypasses the system, but I cant recall.. on vacation this week. I really do not like it because it kicks in all the time it seems like. I can be on a flat street and feel the car downshifting faster than the car is slowing down. Feels like when I let off the gas at around 35 and coast to a stop sign, the car is thrown anchors out the back.
It sure does...

·
Registered
718 Posts
Although the hill descent feature can be annoying at times, last night it did exactly what it was designed to do. I'm in MN and there was a very nasty bout of freezing rain last night, so bad that it took us over 3 hrs to get home from the comedy show we went to in MPLS (about 25 miles). There was a 30+ car pileup on the freeway and it was literally a skating rink. Anyway, we had to get off of the highway and on some of the sidestreets there were some nasty hills to go down. I was able to get down them and maintain control by not using my brakes and letting the hill descent feature keep my speed at a perfect level. The AWD/StabiliTrak feature going up the hills was as good as gold as well. Every penny we spent to get AWD was worth it in the conditions last night. I was actually glad to be driving the Traverse instead of my truck. Worst conditions (and I drove through our 1991 Halloween blizzard) that I've ever driven in in the 21 yrs I've been driving in MN.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts