Traverse Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

Many of you may be familiar with newer cars and GM tranny's in particular, so don't be too bored. Following are some things I found interesting about the tranny on the Traverse:

Obviously the 6-speeds make for smooth shifts and within the engine's power band. Some on this site had proposed a 4-speed tranny was better in both respects - but I really don't see how that would be possible.

It seems there is a lot of power at take off, considering a number of accidently-spun tires with the FWD. Even, so the traction control didn't go nuts trying to clamp down too quickly. The snow-traction scenarios will be the test of how well it engages and disengages.

Considering the take-off power and good economy at speed, I was wondering if GM perfected some sort of variable-stall-speed torque converter that also locks up perfectly? This combination has been a real "technological quest" to deliver both performance and economy - depending on driving requirements. This technology has some real difficult powertrain issues to ovecome, but the breakthrough would be equal to the direct-injection power/economy win/win.

I was bothered a bit at first by the tranny's tendancy to downshift in cruise to hold speeds within 3-5 mph of the setpoint. I figured out that that may have been why my 99' Caddy alwyas caught up to newer cars on the down hill in cruise, when I had been pacing with them beforehand. It seems that the tranny' electronics are smart enough to not attempt to slow down if you have your foot on the go pedal as well in cruise.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts