Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I’m trying to get up to speed on the highway our 2012 Traverse won’t go over 60. If I turn the car off and on it fixes the issue. We had a new transmission put in a year ago and had them check it recently since this started and they said the transmission was fine that the car is giving engine codes. We took it to our mechanic and he couldn’t figure it out. We’re going to take it to another mechanic. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what is making the car do this. Thanks!

·
Registered
585 Posts
It amazes me how often we see this on forums... cars have had OBD2 since what, 1995? How could any mechanic say he couldn't pull the codes?

The first step for us to help you is to see the codes, any number of codes could cause a "limp home mode" that pulls power to protect the engine from catastrophic failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess he pulled the codes but he just told me engine codes. Thats helpful to me though that what it’s going is called Limp Home Mode. I can better articulate to the new mechanic what it’s doing. Hopefully he’s more competent. Thanks

·
Registered
585 Posts
I guess he pulled the codes but he just told me engine codes. Thats helpful to me though that what it’s going is called Limp Home Mode. I can better articulate to the new mechanic what it’s doing. Hopefully he’s more competent. Thanks
Yea you need the specific codes. Often there will be a combination of codes but that unique combination points to a specific part or issue. There are a lot of Traverse's on the road and tons of Chevy 3.6/6 speed combinations from Malibu, Impala, Traverse, Equinox and the corporate cousins. These should not be mysterious to any mechanic who does work on GM vehicles.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
333 Posts
Drive over to ANY Autozone or O'Riley's.They will pull the codes, and give you a printout of what they mean .....for free

·
Registered
42 Posts
It amazes me how often we see this on forums... cars have had OBD2 since what, 1995? How could any mechanic say he couldn't pull the codes?

The first step for us to help you is to see the codes, any number of codes could cause a "limp home mode" that pulls power to protect the engine from catastrophic failure.
Not all code readers are created equal. When my 2012 first threw a code a couple of years ago, I had to get a different scanner because the protocols were different to be able to get into the system to do a deep scan. A mechanic who regularly works on GM cars and takes the annual continuing classes would know this, according to my regular mechanic.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
92 Posts
4 code families in GM vehicles. All 4 need to be read, not just P codes. U , C and B are there also.
U codes are the toughest.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts