Traverse Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
chrisc5 said:
Intermittent Battery Draw

Some customers may comment on an intermittent battery draw concern. This applies only to vehicles with a navigation radio and rear park assist. The radio may stay powered up if the rear park assist alarm is going off when very close to an object (continuous chime) and the ignition key is turned off before the chime cycle completes. This happens due to a software anomaly in handling the chime. Even when the conditions are right, this is an intermittent concern, and is hard to duplicate.

Two different bulletins have been released to address this condition, depending on model and year.

PIT4770 applies to 2007-08 Acadia and Outlook U3R UZR and 2008 Enclave U3R UZR with navigation radio and rear park assist.

For these vehicles, engineering is aware of this concern and is working on a software fix. Information will be updated when a fix becomes available.

PIT4771A applies to 2009 Enclave, Lucerne, Traverse, Acadia and Outlook with navigation radio and rear park assist.

For these vehicles, reprogram the navigation radio with the latest calibrations in TIS. Under the operating system there is a calibration titled "New software to correct continuous chime and potential battery run-down condition".

I have a 09 Traverse with these exact symptoms. The first time it happened I replaced the battery. Been to the dealer for them to tell me nothing is wrong with the car. Today I copied this thread and took it to the dealer to have this update done and was told no such bulletin exists. Spoke with Chevrolet and they were no help either. Does anyone know where I can find more info about this software update? Car is great as long as you don't mind not knowing if the battery will be dead when you come outside to get in car. When it happens it can kill itself in as few as 8 hrs. Very frustrating
With all your info available ...... V.I.N., Mileage, Update number, contact the Chevrolet Infotainment Team at 855 478 7767. See if their engineers can assist you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wonder if there are other significant parasitic draws on the battery than for those with NAV radios and rear park assist. I have a 2009 traverse with standard radio (but with rear park assist), recently left it for two weeks parked, came back to a battery that was DEAD DEAD DEAD. Could not be jumped with my mobile battery pack. Called AAA, the tech hooked up two battery packs to get it going. It has been fine since, but I do drive it daily. This on a new AC Delco battery, replaced at the dealer earlier this year. In contrast, my wife recently left her 2013 BMW 328i parked for over 3 weeks, started up like a charm on her return.

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
Maxx--

anything extra in your vehicle? DVD players(aftermarker)-
or something plugged into your OBD port?

·
Registered
25 Posts
No extras. Tried to make sure everything was shut down before leaving ... but, if there is some sort of glitch tied to the parking cams, as I parked I do remember backing up a bit to optimize the spacing, then quickly turned everything off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Nope. The only other thought I had was that we are in a poor cell signal area, and I wonder how much effort Onstar expends to make contact and upload the monthly diagnostics. Does it even attempt if the engine is not on? I've noticed I often get low reported tire pressure, which I assumed was due to sending on a cold morning startup.

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
Onstars cell phone transmitter is a few times more powerful than a handheld cell.
It will be able to reach a cell tower- that a handheld cant.

Onstar only sends the diagnostics on engine startup.
Usually the 1st engine start of the day.... thus the low tire pressure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery drains on 2012 Traverse LTZ

This message board makes me feel like I'm not crazy, but makes me fear I'm going to keep having this issue. I have a 2012 Traverse LTZ AWD with roughly 56K miles on it. Every scheduled maintenance has been performed and we've taken impeccable care of it. A few months ago we started having issues with it starting. Wouldn't start on the first try, would start on the second. Now it will be completely dead in the morning when I go to start it. Have had it towed to the dealer, they recharge it, and then the same problem happens to them. Battery is completely dead in the morning. Battery was replaced one year ago, so it can't be a battery issue. They are now shutting power to the components one by one to see which one is draining the battery.

This is now the 4th time in 6 months this has happened, and no resolution has been found. I've been stranded with my kids 3 times. Seeing that this is a big issue with these cars as I'm researching, GM needs to correct this.

We've been a Chevy family since the 60s, and I'm about to walk away from GM forever. Service can't find the issue, and this car has become unreliable. I've contacted GM and have opened a case number - but at this point I think I'd be better off selling the car back to them. So frustrated, and SO disappointed.

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
an LTZ, so it has all the bells and whistles.
Now to figure out what circuit is not shutting off.
If they do the tests where they go circuit by circuit-- they should find the one.
Though it can be tricky if its intermittent....

Have you experienced ANY--- odd behavior.

I mean--- a window that wont close. door locks that do funny things... anything?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had this problem on my 2003 GMC Envoy. Turned out that the switch on the drivers power seat had jammed, so it was constantly asking for power. Try focusing on the functions that are active with the vehicle off and key out (like the power seats). Check to see if they are all moving freely in all directions when the vehicle is shut off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've been having problems with my battery in a Traverse LT 2010. It does not start after a few days of not being used. Based on previous posts, I believe the battery is being drained. I have a navigation system, onstar buttons on the rear view mirror, keyless starter (came with the car), no heated seats, and it was not a rental. Oh and 2 DVDs are stuck in the DVD player... totally not my doing.

The days the car does not start, the power door locks are functional, the display illuminates when I get in the Traverse, and the radio display turns on. However when I turn the ignition I get a clicking noise. This happens if I do not drive the car every 3-4 days. The battery has been replaced twice this year, the most recent about 2 months ago. The second time AAA tested the battery and it was fine.

Not sure if there is a problem with the alternator. Alternator tests come out as functional with no issues, however I have been told by foreman/mechanic with 35+ years of automobile experience (my dad) that alternator tests are not full proof. After the Traverse is jumped, the battery voltage is a little below 14 and then when I am driving the voltage charges above 14. On days that I have no problem starting the car, the display lights are dim when I first turn on the car and it takes me about 1/4 of a mile for the car's display lights to illuminate to full brightness. I do not know what this means because I would think that if the alternator was messed up the lights would be dim all the time.

I usually call AAA to help start my Traverse, but I might just get a jump box because this is extremely frustrating and happens often. I had AAA come and jump start my car, the AAA dude said there are a lot of electrical problems with Traverses. Attached is the test AAA did today. I'm concerned because winter is picking up where I am located and it is cold.

I really hate this is happening, I am a medical student and need something reliable. If this keeps happening for the next few years I'm just going to have to get a new car all together because I cannot have this happening when I am a resident with patients depending on me.

I am taking into the shop on Monday, any recommendations on what tests I should ask for first to try to reduce costs? I'm going to come up with a game plan with my dad, too bad he lives like 6 states away, but I was hoping to get any additional ideas/insights. Pretty broke right now so I'm looking to save as much money as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
You said you have the navigation radio.

There was an issue with some early models WITH a factory Navigation radio.

If you parked the vehicle- say- in your garage--- the Ultrasonic Park Assist- remained on- (imagine them sensing your garage door-- or the back wall if you backed in).
The sensors remained ON-- and drained battery.

The fix was a software patch that made sure to turn off the sensors.

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
the issue I described below- is for 2009's.... sorry. yours is 2010....

2009-2010 GM Service Bulletins:
Acadia, Enclave,
OUTLOOK,
Traverse -
EI09060 - Engine no crank/no start due to discharged battery/parasitic current draw
Do this----Reprogram the IPC or heated seat module
Dont do this----Do not replace the battery ref # 09-06-03-002F

Intermittent Battery Draw
Some customers may comment on an intermittent battery draw concern. This applies only to vehicles with a navigation radio and rear park assist. The radio may stay powered up if the rear park assist alarm is going off when very close to an object (continuous chime) and the ignition key is turned off before the chime cycle completes. This happens due to a software anomaly in handling the chime. Even when the conditions are right, this is an intermittent concern, and is hard to duplicate. Two different bulletins have been released to address this condition, depending on model and year. PIT4770 applies to 2007-08 Acadia and Outlook U3R UZR and 2008 Enclave U3R UZR with navigation radio and rear park assist.
For these vehicles, engineering is aware of this concern and is working on a software fix. Information will be updated when a fix becomes available.
PIT4771A applies to 2009 Enclave, Lucerne, Traverse, Acadia and Outlook with navigation radio and rear park assist. For these vehicles, reprogram the navigation radio with the latest calibrations in TIS. Under the operating system there is a calibration titled "New software to correct continuous chime and potential battery run-down condition".

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
Just thought about something---- do you have anything plugged into your OBD Port?
Like an insurance related monitor, or some aftermarket device?

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
ok, good- on nothing being plugged into the OBD port.

though this may apply.

2009-2010 GM Service Bulletins:
Acadia, Enclave,
OUTLOOK,
Traverse -
EI09060 - Engine no crank/no start due to discharged battery/parasitic current draw
Do this----Reprogram the IPC or heated seat module
Dont do this----Do not replace the battery ref # 09-06-03-002F

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds good. I'll make sure not to have anything in the power outlets.

I think I'm just going to take out the fuse for the radio/navigation system to see if it's the culprit. I'm buying a jump box on Amazon too so I can stop calling AAA.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I bought a Noco 3500 charger that I use when I dont use my 2017 for a period of 3 days+. My battery goes down to 12.15 volts and it is a 2017 model. The Noco bring back the battery back to close 13 volts within 4 hours. Too much stuff that drains the battery slowly but surely. It takes just a few minutes to hook it up on the 2 posts inside the hood. It is fuming but we cannot return to the age when only a clock in the dashboard was consuming a touch of juice.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts