Traverse Forum banner

Traverse vs Pilot

9K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Nanookvd 
Curious if anyone looked at VW Atlas
I did and wanted one for the wife back in 2018, since I'm a VW fanboy, but the lease was worse on it versus the Traverse and the VR6 engine was lethargic in comparison (and worse gas mileage too).
I wanted to love it, but couldn't.

The facelift version of it does look a little better, but it's still the same power train unfortunately.

Thanks. We'll take one for a test drive and pay attention to the power train a little more closely. I know our 12' Acadia always had good power when needed. We have our 19' Passat we love but I like a little variety in my garage. Did you pre-order your 2022 Traverse or purchase off the lot? I'm curious how the "build-a-bear" process works, typically lead-time from order to delivery, & things to watch out for in the transaction, deposit, etc.
I had a few different NMS Passats as well, btw....specifically 3 of them with the same 3.6 (VR6) that's in the Atlas. The Passat had a (awesome) DSG trans and was lighter, and was a great driving experience.
The slush box in the Atlas & the extra weight didn't give that same enjoyment though...I had to wring out that V6 to get it to move which = worse MPG's & slow.
The 2.0T is an option in the Atlas, but harder to find & I never got to drive one but has the low end torque and should get better mileage as well.

The 3.6 in the Traverse has plenty of power though, for what it is. The 9 speed automatic isn't terrible, but isn't the best either....it just does the job.

Our 2022 wasn't on the lot. I had to go to a couple of different dealers trying to find one that was available that had been ordered by the dealer(s) already & was coming in soon (aka built & in transit to the dealer).
We found it at the end February last year and it was just waiting for shipment, but then it got delayed due to an issue & the sales guy said he had no clue when it was going to show up. We had a deposit to hold it for us though.
Then, out of the blue, it showed up a couple days later & we took it.

I think most of the kinks/issues have been worked out now though and you should be able to order one and get it in a decent time frame (2-3 months?). Your dealer should be able to tell you though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.