Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From Carsdirect: Target Price: $34,731 Traverse 2lt w/leather FWD
From Carsdirect: Target Price: $36,711 Acura MDX w/leather AWD

well.....2k more for that huh ? BIG POINT IS THE AWD... I don't see where the Traverse Competes, maybe the 3rd row ? other than that the MDX has better everything. Incld. RESALE cause we all know how GM does on resale.

I used to love GM cars and have owned like 6 includ. 2 tbs, 1 z28, 1 ss, 1 avy, and 1 firebird. Please tell me what is to LOVE about the Traverse.

Sell Me the car, why do you guys love them./

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just had a trans for our MGB rebuilt, while they rebuilt that the shop also was doing a trans repair for an MDX, $ 4500.00 (Note Repair) Nightmare to work on.
This is a shop I have dealt with in the past very knowledgeable reliable and fair shop so I think the cost of the repair was legit. So I think the 100,000 mile warranty would also be part of the decision I don't believe Acura offers that? Plus I think the Traverse is quicker, and that is after driving an FX35 for four years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
For me it boils down to comfort, sytle and general feeling I get while driving the traverse. I had an 2001 MDX which i definitely thought at the time was the best car I had ever owned (had 4 prior cars to the MDX). After 4 years of driving the MDX, picking up a BMW and driving that for 3 years I can truthfully say that I like the Traverse the best.

Reasons I didn't go for a MDX again:
1. I really dislike the new cockpit design. Just too bubbly/hightech looking for my taste. The 2001 version was subtle, easy to use and I really enjoyed the simple styling.
2. Felt like a girl / soccer mom's car. Totally self conscious on that one I'll admit, but it definitely hit's the manhood a bit after a while. The new 2009 MDX is even worse IMHO.
3. Air conditioning system was finicky
4. Wasn't an American Car. Yeah call me silly, but honestly GM / Ford / Crystler are all american icon's and dammit it just makes me mad to see what they are going through. Don't want to go into any politics on it... I just felt good buying GM this time.
5. More expensive to maintain.
6. Had some battery issues, but that can happen to any car. Just left a bad taste in my mouth.
7. Too small for my family of 5 to feel comfortable.

Reasons I bought Traverse over other cars:
1. I personally like the 2009 Traverse styling more than other SUVs. Seems manly and pretty hip for a SUV hybrid. The grill is pretty sweet looking. I do no like the GMC & Saturn versions... but that's just my opinion
2. Drives so darn nice. Nice acceleration, smooth driving, handles turns great and brakes very well. My old MDX was very nice too
3. Super comfortable. Probably the most comfortable cockpit and chairs I've had. Air conditioned seating... very nice on longer drives I might add. Again my old MDX was very comfortable as well.
4. Fits my family to a T. Me, Wife + 3 kids & Dog. Everyone fits in, can get in and out easy and they really like the extra leg room. My MDX was way too small to travel any distance with the full family, especially with luggage.
5. Feels very solid on the road. Great airbag protection
6. 110 AC in the second seat area... great for kids & gaming for long trips.
7. Decent luggage space with all seats up... especially when you consider the amount of leg room and spaciousness inside.
8. Navigation system is easy to use and has a clean interface.
9. Bigger SUVthat feels like a midsize SUV. My wifes Chevy Tahoe feels much bigger even though it's not.
10. It just fits the bill for both commuter and long distance functionality for me. Very pleased.
11. About 17mpg city and was up to 24mpg on a 4 hour road trip the past weekend. I reset the meter when I got on the freeway to see what it came in at.
12. Takes regular unleaded gas... no need for mid/super grade. Waste of money.

What I don't care for when I first got the car:
1. Turn radius is a bit wide. It's not horrible, but the MDX has it beat there for sure.
2. Road noise can be noticable when it's windy. I can't remember how it was on my MDX, but the BMW was pretty quiet. I think I'm just noticing the difference from a sedan, but it's definitely louder.
3. Felt it was a bit plastic on some of the internal trim initially. After checking out a lot of peoples cars since I've had my traverse for about a month, I realize that most cars are like this and it actually holds up a bit better and can be wiped down. My father owns a Toyota Highlander and his is almost trimmed out the same. Back in 2001 the MDX had pretty nice trim... mainly leather all over. I don't know if it's changed or not. It seems like a lot of car models have switched to the plastic for durability.
4. Didn't like that I could not program a destination on the navigation while driving (disabled on most cars now due to laws). "GM Lockpick Gen 5" will solve this though. Can google that if you don't knwo what it is.
5. That my dealership snuck in a 200 deductable on the extra warranty I got for 7 years. I went back and complained (and complained a bit more to the GM) and they changed it to 0 deductable. Yeah the finance guy tried to pull a fast one on me and it was my fault for not catching it at the time of signing, but in the end it worked out. Word of advice... make a deal on a new car at the end of the day to get the best deal, but have them prep it and actually finalize the paperwork in the morning. I was tired and just wanted to go home and eat dinner, so I went too fast and didn't read the fine print in as much detail as I should have.

Hope that gives you some info to help decide.

Cheers!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I agree with Ferne on the points he made about the Traverse. After three Infiniti's (2 FX35s &1 QX56) The comfort and design and quality of the Traverse were very appealing. And since it is to early to tell, because of the break in period. The performance in accelleration is not that different than the FX,( it just does'nt sound as good as the distinctive FX exhaust,wish Chevy had made it sound a bit sportier) As far as the turning radius,in comparison it was suprising how tight the Chevy was . Also the wind noise was very quiet if you , close the sunroof and open all four windows , with the sunroof open it does get noisy, guess the deflector is needed.

Hope this helps in your decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you reviews that are helpful! I see you both hav ethe LTZ, Are there any suspension differences between the ls,lt and LTZ ?

·
Registered
201 Posts
The tires and rims are different. The steering on the LT and LTZ are Variable-effort power steering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shinzon: There isn't a suspension package or difference that I am aware of. I do have the towing package, but I don't think that affects much beyond some shift points and a slight hit to the MPG.

I upgraded to the LTZ mainly for the navigation, dvd & rear video screen, captains chairs, leather seating and in California at least it came with 20' wheels, which looks great. I also have the side steps, since I have small kids, and it helps them get in the car. If you don't have small kids, it's not needed because the Traverse isn't that far off the ground.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Fern,

Great comparison post. I too was looking at the Honda Pilot (almost identical to the MDX just cheaper) and saw very similar things to what you did. The technology really seemed to turn me on at first, then it hit me: TOO MUCH! The Honda is overkill on tech, so much so I think that took away from the driving. Maybe to a point of danger. But, that's just me. I did like some of the ideas such as dash storage places, and some of the other features in the Honda, but just didn't see the need for them. Plus, I did end up spending considerably less on my Trav than I would have on a Honda. Got 100% of what I needed and nothing more. The Trav to me seemed to have a LOT more power too, even though the engines were rated very similar.

I also fell back on the idea that, hey, I'm an American and American cars after all are really quite nice and just as good as anything built anywhere in the World today. You are definately not silly. Sad that today we find that we have to explain why we love our country isn't it? Why in car buying are people buying smart and for the right reasons being questioned? There's something very wrong with that. There is no difference in quality from any car maker today. So I buy considering my own countrymen, and the good work they do. Not on some car commercial that lies about the reality.

One note on the "plasticy interior" though. My Sister drives a Toyota purchased at the same time I bought a Chevy pickup about 10 years ago. Her Toyota looked better visually at the time of purchase, but the interior of her Toyota now looks like crap due to only age, as she did keep it clean and well protected. I traded in my pickup, but the interior was as good as new. Her Toyota was garage kept, my pickup lived 100% outside of any protected parking. The plastic may not seem that nice, but after a few years it will still look fantastic compared to some of the flashy materials used in Japanese designed vehicles. I'd rather it stand the test of time, rather than look good now, but tear up later.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ferne --

Just now read your outstanding comparison post. Totally agree with Narg -- that was absolutely great stuff! Thanks for taking the time to lay it all out there from your perspective.

It was great fun to read because I remember being in love with the MDX the first few years they came out. Never bought one (too expensive, hated the idea of having to use premium gas), and now the value of CUV's like the Traverse has passed the MDX by.

Appreciate your thoughtful analysis and opinions. Keep 'em coming, even if I may mildly disagree with a few of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the compliments guys. I found it a good exercise to reafirm why I purchased what I did and good to reflect and put into words what my subconscious was telling me.

DuayneD you can disagree all you want and I hope you do :) That is the beauty of forums like this. It's just entertaining, interesting and enlightening to hear everyone's story and opinion.

Cheers!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ferne said:
DuayneD you can disagree all you want and I hope you do :) That is the beauty of forums like this. It's just entertaining, interesting and enlightening to hear everyone's story and opinion.

Cheers!
Well, I certainly have no disagreement with that!

FYI -- I also watch a Mazda CX-9 board and lo and behold if they aren't having this same exact conversation, on MDX vs that car!
And surprise, surprise, many over there have similar opinions to yours, thus making the CX-9 the "winner." lol
http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123741424

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey there Ferne.

I've been considering purchasing side steps or chrome steps but I'm not certain as to how they would look. Would you be able to take a pic of your Traverse to share?

Should anyone else out there have the side steps or chrome steps, I would greatly appreciate any pics you might be able to share. Thanks to all!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Please post any side/chrome step strips under the Photos section - in the existing accessories photos thread if you have any. This way we can keep all of our accessory pics in one place for the newbies to look at if that makes sense...

·
Registered
55 Posts
In the pictures section under Black click on my photo to see the steps. The stainless steel outer edge did not show up to well.
Rick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks Rick. Can't wait to check them out! Did you purchase your Traverse with or without the steps? Do you like the look of your vehicle better with or without?

·
Registered
55 Posts
It came with them already installed but I would have ordered them any way. A couple of reasons for them even if you do not need the step, the anti-a--h-le protection for the people that get out of their car and just wing the door open into yours :angryfire:, they catch some of the tar and junk coming up from your tires and keep it off your doors, and finally, no need to open the doors and get wet footprints in the car when you are reaching out washing the roof.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey there Rick. You are ABSOLUTELY right, already had damage done to my front passenger door due to someone hitting my door with theirs. Never thought about the steps helping to prevent that. All the more reason for me to make the investment a.s.a.p. Thanks so much!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I NEVER considered an MDX for even a second. Price is one of the biggest factors for me. Base AWD Traverse starts at $31,990 according to Chevrolet.com and MDX starts at $40,990. $9,000 is a lot of money in my house. Also, MDX is only 7 passenger. My wife insisted on 8. Just my $0.02.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts