Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While the Traverse is in getting the bumper fixed, my insurance set me up with a rental van. A 2010 Town and Country. I thought I'd share some of my observations:

1. T&C has more room behind the 3 row. This is due to the fact that the seats fold flat into the floor. When the 3rd row is up, it leaves a big void in the floor that you can pack with things.

2. My wife thinks its easier to load the stroller in and out of the T&C.

3. It is easier to load the kids in the Traverse. The door openings are higher, so there is better access to the car seats.

4. The T&C has A LOT of rattles and noises from loose fitting interior panels. Very annoying.

5. The seats in the Traverse are much more comfortable. The T&C has flat seat backs, no lumbar. Also I like how my right leg can lean against the flow through console in the Traverse. The T&C doesn't have a flow through console, but rather a chinsy cup holder thingy on the floor. Very useless.

6. I can't sit in the 2nd row of the T&C. I don't have enough head room and the chairs feel very narrow. One big feature we wanted was to be able to have 4 full size adults site comfortably in our car. The Traverse offers lots of room to 1st and 2nd row occupants.

7. Sound dampening is much better in the Traverse. You really listen to the engine in the T&C. I would rather not hear it.

8. T&C has 2 rows of DVD players. Useless to me as the driver, but I'm sure the little ones will like it!

9. T&C sunroof cover kept sliding open and closed as I accelerated or braked. Annoying.

10. Dash on the T&C is VERY 1990's. The Traverse has a very sleek design.

11. I really really missed my steering wheel controls on my Traverse!

12. T&C is lower than the Traverse. It will fit in my garage.

13. I feel embarassed to be driving a minivan. I don't know why, but my Traverse has some serious COOL factor!

14. Definite power difference. The T&C is 4.0L. Can also feel that Travese is a lot more stable feeling. That's probably attributed to the 5200lbs tow rating of the Traverse!

That's all for now. I don't have my Traverse back yet, so I am sure to find more differences.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
A good comparison & report. I'm thinking there is no T&C in your future. :happy:

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quantum - yes, very excellent and salient points all around.

I actually considered the new Dodge Caravan during my explorations for a new car and ruled it out for some of the same reasons you cite: i.e. loose feeling handling and squeaks even in a brand new model.

I also drove Toyota's Family Truckster (Venza) just to cover the bases and it, like the Caravan, had too much wind, road, and engine noise for my taste or money. I was shocked by the contrast I felt in the Toyota; the interior was beautifully appointed and had a refined feeling that disappeared once the engine was started and the vehicle rolled away from the curb.

Honda's also got their own model ready to take the Griswold Family to Wally World: the Crosstour. Yikes, that's a strange looking vehicle.

I actually like the looks of the Caravan/T&C, but I don't think it will age gracefully (or solidly) as I feel sure the Traverse and other Lambdas will.

Besides, you're right, the minivan is past tense, the unit-body crossover is the future. :thumb:

·
Registered
277 Posts
We were considering a Caravan/T&C too, but we liked the Traverse better being a crossover aside from having worry-free on snow AWD! If only Traverse had the option of having a center table inside with sliding doors, it would have been more cool!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sliding doors would take it a step closer to a mini van, something GM wants to avoid. Besides the cost savings, I imagine that's why the 3rd row windows don't tip out. SUV side windows don't tip out.

·
Registered
277 Posts
odypilots said:
Sliding doors would take it a step closer to a mini van, something GM wants to avoid. Besides the cost savings, I imagine that's why the 3rd row windows don't tip out. SUV side windows don't tip out.
Step closer to a van, but not a van... that's the idea of crossovers, right? But I understand the factor of cost savings. I still think having a table inside would be cool so the kids and other passenger can have fun playing things on it or have face-to-face chats during long trips.

·
Registered
312 Posts
A crossover isn't a cross between a car and a minivan or a minivan and an SUV, it's a cross between a car and an SUV, creating a vehicle with car-like ride and handling and SUV practicality. (See the following article: http://www.intellichoice.com/carBuying101/what-is-a-crossover) True, Traverse has some features similar to those found in a minivan, but most crossovers do not have second row seats that slide and fold, for example.

I think it's time we had not just a class called crossover, but classes of crossovers like they do with SUVs. Traverse and RAV4 aren't competing for the same customers; why should they compete for the same industry recognitions?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Honestly you simply can not put the two in the same class. If you want affordable and room then you buy a mini van. They are cheap and they are built that way to.

The Traverse is upscale, very well built and insulated. I will also put the safety of the Traverse above any mini van.

The towing is better.

The power is better.

So if you shopping for mini vans shop for mini vans.

It's not a fair comparison as stated Traverses are downsized versions of large SUV's providing features of large SUV's but with better gas millage.

As a side note I drive the Traverse to and from work and my colleague drives a T&C the same distance as me and it's costing her $30 more a week then me at Canadian gas prices... ugggg....

G

·
Quantum said:
13. I feel embarassed to be driving a minivan. I don't know why, but my Traverse has some serious COOL factor!
Yep :thumb:.....same for me just put Acadia in where it says Traverse

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree with BigBlue - comparing Traverse and a minivan is not apples to apples.

I admit I test drove a Caravan when shopping for Traverse, but I decided I didn't need that type of vehicle. Of course, I also didn't need the wind noise, road noise, engine noise, screaming children noise.... uh, actually, I do have grandchildren but they're past the screaming age. There is no comparison in the feeling of solidness and "substantialness" between a Traverse and a Caravan.

The point is, if you need a minivan, buy one -- there's no shame -- but a Traverse and similar vehicles offer much more style and favorable driving characteristics and make them for desirable - in my most humble opinion. 8)

·
Registered
417 Posts
The think I like about the Traverse (also applies to the Equinox) is that these are a very solid hit between a minivan and a full body on frame SUV. The Traverse actually has a partial frame both front and back. This makes the vehicle much more stronger and able to do things no minivan ever could. Yet still with the main compartment being uni-body like in design the interior space is fantastic.

I rode in the 3rd seat of a Nissan Armada last week. WOW, was I amazed at how little space there was. I had to keep my head tilted as I was pressed against the roof. Don't have that problem in a Tahoe though. But the Traverse does have more room inside than a Tahoe, which has zero space behind the 3rd row.

The Traverse is a perfect best of both worlds vehicle.

"9. T&C sunroof cover kept sliding open and closed as I accelerated or braked. Annoying." Interestingly, this occurs to the cover on the center console in my Traverse. Annoying there too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well, This ain't gonna make me any friends.

First, I love my Traverse. I spent 30,000 dollars on one, and I'm not sorry, but...

The Traverse has Way more in common with a mini van than an SUV!

Drivetrain- AWD is FWD based, no locking differentials, no V8

Chassis construction has nothing in common with an SUV.

The Acadia and Outlook guys have an argument with body style, but the Traverse and Enclave scream minivan. Stylish, rugged, yes. SUV like, not to me.

Undercarraige. Nothing tucked up, no skids. So so ground clearance.

About the only thing it shares with an SUV is the rear doors, and a high hip point.

To me, the Traverse is a minivan on steroids, and you know what? It's just what I was looking for! Well, I could use a diesel engine and more ground clearance.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My wife thought for the longest time that she wanted a T&C...then we went on vacation, and rented a T&C for the week.

We now own an '09 1LT AWD Traverse! :)

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Also noticed that there is NO way an adult will be able to sit in the 3rd row. Not a chance.

·
Registered
312 Posts
ody - there's no argument that crossovers are made on unit body platforms instead of body on frame, but that's not a bad thing (not that you're saying it is). It saves weight and creates a vehicle with fewer squeaks and rattles long-term. In the Traverse you've got a vehicle with loads or room, good gas mileage, excellent towing capacity (if so equipped), and tons of flexible seating all packaged in a comely shape with above average performance and handling characteristics. To compare that to a minivan is understandable, but full-size crossovers -- like Traverse -- deserve their own classification in automotive hierarchy just like minivans got when they arrived on the scene.

I wish Traverse was RWD, too, but I won't kick it to the curb for that single shortcoming. 8)

·
Registered
277 Posts
odypilots said:
To me, the Traverse is a minivan on steroids, and you know what? It's just what I was looking for! Well, I could use a diesel engine and more ground clearance.
I totally agree!

We have to also remember that "crossover" began as a marketing term and not as a vehicle classification. It's one of those words that has evolved, eventually gaining mainstream acceptance. I don't think it particularly meant car-suv crosses but rather, the question is what did it "cross over" from? In the case of the Traverse, I think it's a cross between an SUV and a mini-van. It looks like an suv but has the interior amenities of a van like the 3rd row. But... that is my own opinion.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Park any of the 4 Lambdas next to a mini-van and you will quickly see they are NO mini-van, totally different proportions. Hood sits up higher, and doesn't have the slope of mini-vans.

Some differences: Doors are different. Front wipers work like SUV's, not center mounted swing out like mini-vans, no console in mini-vans..usually column shift, or dash mounted shifter, higher step-in height for the Lambdas-more SUV'ish, larger wheel sizes, and most mini-vans are only 7-passenger, where you can get 8 in the Lambdas, due to their sliding seat design.

Crossover is a term that means cross between a car and an SUV, I believe, since it's on a uni-body platform (the car part), but has a body (shape and size) and interior most like an SUV. I agree that having 3 rows of seats is similar to mini-vans, but after that there's almost no other similarities.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with most everything in the original review. We had a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT for a rental while our Traverse was getting fixed from our accident.

I liked certain things about the minivan:
Pros were:
- Lots of nooks and crannies to put things
- Lots of room behind the back seat
- The interior lighting was very nice. Almost all LED with a colored green LED accent above the DVD rail.
- Very roomy
- I could get used to having remote open sliding doors.
- Stow and go seating (also a con)

Cons were:
- Much more wind/road noise
- Horrible exhaust note from the engine.
- Weak AC compared to the Traverse
- Lots of rattles with about 12,000 miles on the clock
- Mushier handling
- No automatic headlights (seriously - I thought this was standard fair in most cars now)
- Stow and go seats are tiny. OK for children, but not OK for adults. I feel like a giant.
- It's a minivan ;)
- No back-up sensors

All in all, I like the Caravan better than I thought I would, but I'm glad to have our Traverse back.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quantum said:
Also noticed that there is NO way an adult will be able to sit in the 3rd row. Not a chance.
I've sat in the 3rd row. It's quite nice compared to a full body on frame SUV IMHO. I'm 5' 10" and 240 lbs.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Reconsider the "minivan" comparison. Try more like a 4 door sedan rather than a minivan. But with a lot more added.

When GM went to create the Lamda platform, they took everything they knew from good ALL unibody platforms and expanded it out to do the work of a good SUV. It's pure cross-over inside and out. All created from scratch.

Besides, what Minivan can tow 5200 pounds??? This Crossover does actually have partial frames in the front and rear, giving it the strength to tow so much, and added rigidity to the body making it ride so nicely.

The front wheel drive configuration is much better than rear wheel priority for this platform. Especially for the AWD variant. You have much greater fuel economy with more power going to the front, much better stabilization in bad weather. And a better ride overall. Having driven our AWD in near blizzard type weather, I'm in love with the drive train of this Crossover. The transfer system is made in conjunction with Haldex. It's quite impressive and can send up to 90% of the engine power to the rear wheels.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f12/gmi-goes-inside-gm-s-haldex-awd-system-88790/
http://www.haldex.com/en/north-america/
http://www.haldex.com/en/North-America/Applications-Products/Product-categories/AWD/Previous-Generations--Development/

If you are well educated in 4WD systems, this AWD system might be outdone. But for ease of use and simplicity, it's hard to beat.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts