Traverse Forum banner

Traverse ran very low on oil after supposed oil change!

22K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  C 4 
#1 ·
So this is how yesterday went. This is long so bear with me. My wife took the '10 Traverse LT in to the dealer for the free oil change we get since we bought it from this dealer. All said and done and my wife drives about 24 miles back to work (had it done around lunch time) End of day, she drives home another 8 miles in Phoenix rush hour traffic, walks in and tells me the check engine light is on and it sounds "funny". She didn't notice the light until closer to the house. I start it and a very noticeable tick is a new sound so I shut it down right away and pop the hood. Pull dipstick and wipe it, re-insert and wait a few seconds and check again, NOTHING ON IT!! I wait a couple minutes and check again, NOTHING. I check oil filter, it's tight, drain plug is tight so it just wasn't filled with oil. I do see some oil on the undercarriage but not a crankcase full. Just drippage from the crappy design where the oil drains down. I call the dealer pretty pissed and end up talking to guy in charge. I tell them I want a flatbed to come and get it. They give me the 24 hr Chevy road service # but they will only take it to nearest dealer and I would have to pay $60.00 difference. I say no thanks and call dealer back and get # for tow company they deal with directly and get them to come get it. So this morning dealer calls and says all is ok and that they gave another oil change and checked it all out. It was 2 to 2 1/2 quarts low thats why it didn't seize within blocks of the dealer. I tell him I am very concerned about long term damage that was caused but he says it has a safety in which it will not run if there is not enough oil or oil pressure to prevent catastrophic failure. With all the new technology, I don't know what to think. We pick it up, (all detailed for our trouble), sounds good, no more tick. They used synthetic Mobil 1. I double checked the dipstick for oil to ease my mind. I made sure they put their mistake on the write up. Do you all think it will be ok?

See less See more
#2 ·
This is the classic example which points out the significant benefit(s) of either doing one's own oil change or simply taking it to a small shop where one can see it being done. It is only in these circumstances that you know it will be done right.

#3 ·
C 4 said:
So this morning dealer calls and says all is ok and that they gave another oil change and checked it all out. It was 2 to 2 1/2 quarts low
For all you know this isnt true (i.e. maybe it was more than 2.5 quarts :eek:) but you will never be able to confirm or deny.

C 4 said:
I tell him I am very concerned about long term damage that was caused but he says it has a safety in which it will not run if there is not enough oil or oil pressure to prevent catastrophic failure.
::) Ask him to verify the existence of such a safe guard. There has already been posted, I think in the Acadia forum, of a catastrophic engine failure due to insufficient oil in the sump.

By the time the oil pressure light comes on it is too late.

C 4 said:
Do you all think it will be ok?
I don't know but it would sure bother me and continue to bother me.

Just a thought but I would consider getting UOA (Used Oil Analyses) for the next several oil changes just to see that is all ok inside that mistreated engine of yours.

#6 ·
My guess would be that if they admitted to it being two quarts low, it was really much worse than that. They are trying to cover up their mistake. I think I'd go up the chain for complaints - look in the owners manual to see how to do it.
Just out of curiosity, which dealer was this? I live in Surprise and will soon go to Sands for my first free oil change... Need I be worried?

#9 ·
Re: Re: Traverse ran very low on oil after supposed oil change!

Get it in writing from the dealership that messed up the fill procedure... that way if you have issues with the engine down the road, you can refer to this incident in black and white (which is sorta an admission of guilt by the dealership)

Sent from my EVO 4g via Tapatalk

#11 ·
Quick update. So far engine runs just as good as before. I am still quite upset with Courtesy Chevrolet in Phoenix. I name the dealer only because I have yet to receive a call from anyone of authority to explain, apologize, tell me to pound sand, anything. I did receive the obligatory e-mail to see if I was happy. Did fill in the comment section with a lengthy description of events and have yet to hear from them either. I have no intention of ever buying another product from this dealer and if there is no response from Chevy anytime soon, from GM either. Which is a shame because I am really liking the offerings these days but with customer service like this they won't have to "not" worry about me anymore.

#12 ·
You bring up a valid point. GM can come up with the greatest line of vehicles ever, but if customer service isn't there to back up the product and support the consumer, a great vehicle on its own doesn't mean much.

Now, hopefully your incident is more isolated rather than the norm...which I think happens to be the case. I have read many stories on here of people who are completely satisfied with their dealerships....and an equal amount of people unsatisfied.

I hope for your sake you will hear a response. Not just to get you to buy GM again, but for recognizing that you spend $30k on a vehicle, and for most of us that isn't a small amount. Keep us updated.

#16 ·
Doesn't make sense to be 2 - 2.5 qts low.
Smells like bull poopoo to me.
To me you either put in the full amount or none at all.

Looks more like thet didn't put any oil in, probably residual left from
an incomplete drain. Plus, why didn't they check the level after the fill up?

If you have it documented, I would insist they pay for some basic engine function tests
UOA, and compression test.

#18 ·
Another update: Engine runs good but I noticed a slight tick for 1 or 2 seconds right at start up that wasn't there before. I have been talking with Chevy Customer Service over the past couple weeks going over this. Supposedly the tech was fired, my "file" has been updated to show this problem happened so that any Chevy service center will see it in history, got a free 2 year extension on the Onstar, but most importantly, NOT A WORD FROM COURTESY CHEVROLET! I will not buy anything from this dealer again and recommend no one else does either. Chevy corporate has been great, but would a phone call from the dealer that almost caused my engine to seize be that hard?

#26 ·
C 4,

I am glad that you are being taken care of on the Custer Assistance end of the spectrum here. However, I completely agree with you that it shouldn't be that hard to have the dealership contact you. Has your case been closed or is it still open? If you case is still open you can request that the dealership contact you. You can put this request through your agent that is working on your case.

Michelle P., Chevrolet Customer Service

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.