Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard people pronounce the name of this vehicle "truh-VURS" (as in "to move through") but as a Michigander, I'm naturally inclined to pronounce it "TRA-verse" as in Traverse City. What's Chevrolet going to call it?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I assume we'll see some footage from the unveiling tomorrow and they will pronounce it the official way. Having never lived in or near Michigan, I've never even heard of the latter version, only "truh-VURS", which is how I've been saying it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
As predicted, we have an official answer to the pronunciation question.

According to GM General Manager Ed Peper on Fastlane blog:

"Now we’ve got the perfect vehicle to “traverse” our portfolio – the all-new 2009 Chevrolet Traverse. (And for those of you Michiganders reading this, it’s pronounced “Tra-VERSE” – not like Traverse City, Mich.)"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ah, good to know ;)

I've been saying Trah-verse, but was never 100% sure.

One of the local dealers still says Aveo strangely on commericals and such...so interested to see which pronunciation they use for this.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, nice to know the official line.

But dadgummit, as a Michigander, I reserve the right to pronounce it the right way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pronounce it right, GM asks
The proper pronunciation of the Traverse, the Chevrolet version of the Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia is tra-VERSE, General Motors said in a posting on its blog. GM figures people in Michigan maybe tempted to call it TRAV-erse like the city in northern Michigan.

All of which reminds us that the Mercury Milan is pronounced like the city in Italy -- muh-LON -- as opposed to the city in Michigan, called MY-lan.
[/color]

In a related note, and another blow to northern LP Michigan'ers, GM reminds everone that Cadillac is pronounces "kaa-DILL-LOK".

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080217/BUSINESS01/802170557/1014

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to see I'm not the only one that was mispronouncing it. Then again, I still hear people calling the Acadia "ARcadia"!

·
Registered
73 Posts
ramjet said:
Ah, nice to know the official line.

But dadgummit, as a Michigander, I reserve the right to pronounce it the right way.
And you guys above the Mason-Dixon make fun of the way us suthnrs tawlk? I have been to Traverse City, played golf there and loved the area.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts