Traverse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Traverse on a 2400 mile trip. Averaged 24 mpg the whole way loaded down and pulling the camper.

Plus the roof box. The Traverse hits it's millage sweet spot at 70 to 75 mph for sure.

We were happy with it. Not counting all the running around and just the highway travel which was 1900 miles only used $480US in gas.

Way cheaper than 4 airline tickets ha ha.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Looks like a nice setup you have there. I'm surprised, and pleased to hear your mileage numbers. When I went down to Lansing, MI for the meet, I was doing around 70-75MPH and I averaged 22MPG and that was with only 3 adults in the vehicle! I'm sure as I get more kilometers on it, the mileage will continue to increase. I only have 8500km on it so far, but I'm pleased. I can easily acheive over 25MPG if I set my cruise at 100km/h and go with the flow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great to hear that you had good gas mileage. I'm planning my road trip this fall... cross country twice... so hopefully we get 20+ the whole time.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only time the millage dropped off was going through the mountains in North Carolina. But that had to do more with the fact that I could only see 10 ft in front of me through the rain. Bad bad . We stopped for two hours to let it blow past some..

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
dak235 said:
Great to hear that you had good gas mileage. I'm planning my road trip this fall... cross country twice... so hopefully we get 20+ the whole time.
We recently returned from 2 trips .... one was 5,500 miles touring the south and west portions of our USA .... then the 2nd trip was 5 days after our return from the west ......1,500 miles to Ohio and back, a total of 7,000 mileson both trips.

Mileage averaged from 21+ MPG to 27.4 MPG. The 21+ MPG was a combo of city/highway, while the upper limits (27.4 MPG) were obtained out west with cruise on and set at 65 MPH. 70 MPH netted us mileage around 25 MPG. There were 2 adults plus luggage ( my Wal Mart bag of underwear plus her 6 bags of luggage).

I'm giving figures here, based on full tanks of full, not a brief snapshot of MPG for a short period of time.

We were very pleased with mileage. :banana:
Bob

A

·
0 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
There were 2 adults plus luggage ( my Wal Mart bag of underwear plus her 6 bags of luggage).
Isn't that the truth :happy:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had two teen girls that roof box was half full of shoes...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Used the tow button the whole way. The only thing I hate is you have to hit it every time you restart the Traverse. It should stay on till I turn it off.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
im wondering if this is done--- so that some people dont leave it on ALL the time..

You know---
owner- you know- my car gives me real bad gas mileage....
dealer- when was the last time you turned off your tow/haul button? I see your tow/haul indicator is on-
owner- thats been on since I bought the car... I didnt know what it was...
dealer- how long have you owned your car?
owner-x years.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I think that rbarrios hit the nail on the head. I too believe that is the reason why it is designed the way it is. For me, its just a matter of

1. Start engine
2. Push tow/haul
3. Move gear lever into D or L depending on what mood I'm in. :)

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So in a nutshell gm is saying we are to stupid to turn it of and on our selves...

Plus you may think it's simple but on a 2000 mile trip with Kids and rain and blown trailer tires it becomes a pain turning the thing on every time.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
not saying all are stupid---
But I think GM knows by now-- that the majority of owners- will NEVER read the manual front to back.
Heck- I know the missus at home- has NOT read the manual on her Impala- and we bought it in 2007....
I know she hasnt- because sometimes something will come up- and she doesnt know the answer-- and Ill say--- You didnt read the manual did you?
(if shed read the manual- shed know the answer)....(like the tap-flash 3x feature)

so- they just default it to off.... since the majority of the time- most people will not be towing.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
So in a nutshell gm is saying we are to stupid to turn it of and on our selves...

Plus you may think it's simple but on a 2000 mile trip with Kids and rain and blown trailer tires it becomes a pain turning the thing on every time.
I can understand your thoughts on this .... you would certainly do the correct thing every time.

BUT ....... watch the TV program America's Funniest Videos ...... those are some of the people GM has to consider when they need to make these cars and trucks "fool proof".

Bob

·
Registered
283 Posts
Too bad those who've been complaining about gas mileage probably won't read this thread. Proof that the fuel mileage numbers advertised are dead on. The numbers they advertise don't include luggage, towing, roof rack, etc.

·
Registered
29 Posts
BigBlackTraverse said:

I think just about every manufacturer designs it that way. They're assuming it would be better to make the driver spend a second or two to turn it on than have a driver accidentally drive in tow mode for no reason.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts