Traverse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Chevrolet Traverse

When I drive the traverse and get to about 15-30mph speed, it tends to shake as if it was running out of fuel and is losing power. I have to gas it to pump more fuel which tends to help it. It never actually turns off or stops, just shakes. This also happens at higher speeds when driving, doesn't necessarily happen when shifting, so I do not think that it is the transmission. Also, the traverse is now randomly not starting when turning the ignition, just clicks when turning the key to on. When this happens, I pump the gas pedal to help it get started. Most of the time it starts right away, but sometimes it sounds like it is struggling to get fuel before it starts.

Seems to me it is a fuel system problem, fuel injector, ignition switch, fuel pump, but not sure. Any advise on how to troubleshoot or pin-point the problem?

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
2x battery load test and if it tests good a full all 4 code families is the next step. Code scan is the first step any shop does when a modern vehicle comes in. Without a full spectrum code scan everything is just a guess.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the battery load tested and it all checked out good, battery is fully charged. Had this done while the battery was installed using the terminals located in the hood and also directly on the battery. No codes were found and also unplugged the MAF, but unfortunately, the issue still persisted. The stalling and shaking when driving still occurs at about 25-30 mph.

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Shop scan or parts store scan? Parts store scan is not a full comprehensive scan.

Reactions: RandyMan
1 Posts
2014 Chevrolet Traverse

When I drive the traverse and get to about 15-30mph speed, it tends to shake as if it was running out of fuel and is losing power. I have to gas it to pump more fuel which tends to help it. It never actually turns off or stops, just shakes. This also happens at higher speeds when driving, doesn't necessarily happen when shifting, so I do not think that it is the transmission. Also, the traverse is now randomly not starting when turning the ignition, just clicks when turning the key to on. When this happens, I pump the gas pedal to help it get started. Most of the time it starts right away, but sometimes it sounds like it is struggling to get fuel before it starts.

Seems to me it is a fuel system problem, fuel injector, ignition switch, fuel pump, but not sure. Any advise on how to troubleshoot or pin-point the problem?
Check fuel pumps there are two of them on there

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Just anther thought, make sure that your throttle body is clean and free. Use dedicated throttle body spray cleaner with ignition off. While you are at it, use dedicated MAF sensor cleaner for that as well. How long since your last air filter change?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just anther thought, make sure that your throttle body is clean and free. Use dedicated throttle body spray cleaner with ignition off. While you are at it, use dedicated MAF sensor cleaner for that as well. How long since your last air filter change?
Check engine light is on? What's the codes?

What's the mileage on it? Did this issue start all the sudden or get worse over time?
Thank you all for your responses, I haven't been able to circle back here until now.

electbc.... I had removed the air intake components and manifold to make sure there were no obstructions. While I had them off, I did check the throttle body and looked clean, but did clean it with a cleaner anyway. I also cleaned the MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. It has been a while (years) since the air filter was changed, but I did inspect it and didn't appear to be clogged, but I can change it.

ipb.... Check engine light is not on. Mileage is 178000. The issue started small (shook a little) but progress and got worse over time. To add to these issues, it sometimes pops when it I slow down and then give it gas, but that is not very often.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have the same problem with my 2015 Traverse. I was told it was the torque converter.
amycrabtree7.... thanks for sharing, did you get the torque converter replaced and did it resolve the issues on your traverse? I just read on symptoms related to torque converters and they are similar to what my traverse experiences.

· Registered
2 Posts
amycrabtree7.... thanks for sharing, did you get the torque converter replaced and did it resolve the issues on your traverse? I just read on symptoms related to torque converters and they are similar to what my traverse experiences.
I haven't had it replaced. The mechanic I want to fix it is always backed up and I don't have an alternative form of transportation to leave it.I have been driving it like this for about a year now 🤷‍♀️

1 - 18 of 18 Posts