Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Gold Mist AWD 2LT Traverse...first occurred at semi-automated carwash...wouldn't turn over when coming out of the wash facility--had to jump it. Drove straight to the dealer and no issue found--stated cold cranking amps well within normal for the battery. No issues for a couple of weeks, then had to ship the vehicle overseas (military move). Picked up the vehicle in Germany, had to be jumped to start...sort of normal after being idle for four weeks while in transit. Drove well over an hour from pick-up point to residence, and blammo...this morning, no turn over, only clicking when key turned to start. Very, very, very frustrating...and now in Germany w/out a dealer who knows this car. Traded in a Suburban for the Traverse, believing in the Chevy brand name and quality...now I feel as though I picked a lemon and am now hung to dry.

Anyone else have these symptoms? I've read the posts about rear warning systems and all that...this does not seem to be the case with my Traverse...tho I do have the rear camera and warning system. Is it possible the Powertrain Control System is sapping electricity or what? Bad battery? Poor charging system? Help! Help! Help!

CougarFamily
[email protected]

A

·
0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues.........this issue could be almost anything and a tough one to diagnose. We have a Chevy Customer Service member here; I would recommend contacting them to see what can be done. Good luck and keep us posted

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
when this happens-- you should measure the voltage at the battery.
If the dealer says the batt had the correct CCA--
then this sounds more like a communication problem...

Todays cars-- the key is not really connected to the starter..
Old cars when you cranked the engine-- you held the key to make the connection to keep the starter spinning--

todays cars-- you turn the key- and let go--- this sends a signal to one of the onboard computers-- to send a signal to the starter to turn over---
it will crank for X seconds- or until the car starts-- at which point the starter disengages...

So- its possible something is not getting the signal--- from a bad connection at the starter switch- to one of the control modules.
Hope the issue is corrected.

·
Registered
551 Posts
My traverse has failed to start 3-4 times in the past. Out of the blue, didn't sit for a long period, just bam wont start! The lights, radio, everything still works, just wont turn over. I found this works for me.

Behind the passenger seat on the floor is where the battery is located. If I take the floor cover off exposing the battery and disconnect the neg (just pull up) and then wait for a couple of seconds and push it back down.... the car will start right up and! :confused:

Only thing is you need to keep the hex tool to get the battery cover off in your car, I keep mine in the glove box of my $40K suv, because sometimes it wont start! :angel:

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
thats worth a try....
It sure sounds like gremlin that appears every now and then.

anyone remember the Gremlin on The Simpsons-- the one Bart kept seeing in the plane...
I think its this guy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Tiestosteel, I will give your suggestion a try...thanks to all the suggestions. I'm also working on contacting the GM folks here in Germany...better known here as Opel. :thumb:

Now...to find a star bolt drver.... ::) :confused:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Does your Traverse have the Navigation? There is a known problem with I a fix from GM regarding this. For some reason, some of the trucks that have the Navigation will keep the power after shutting off the car, which of course drains the battery. I believe a simple reprogram takes care of the problem.

·
Registered
417 Posts
CGIM5804 has it right. You need a reflash of the computer in the vehicle. Ask your local GM/Opel dealer to do it.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
Behind the passenger seat on the floor is where the battery is located. If I take the floor cover off exposing the battery and disconnect the neg (just pull up) and then wait for a couple of seconds and push it back down.... the car will start right up and! :confused:
This is what I was thinking immediately after reading his first post. Ground issue. I would take the cables off, clean them up really well, then put back on nice and tight. Also, check the connections under the hood (where the battery normally is) there is a jumper station there, where you can jump start your car or jump someone else's car. Check all of those connections too. May be some mild corrosion causing a bad ground at times. Other than that, I'd do like others suggested, and try the re-flash if you have Nav, or replace the battery (which should be under warranty).

Good Luck.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Cougar - The part where you said it clicked when you tried to start it the first morning in Germany makes me think this isn't a high-tech computer issue --- it's a low-tech, old fashioned matter of poor connectivity or low charge - or maybe the two are related.

In other words, the problem, in my opinion, may be electrical, not electronic. If such is the case, a bad ground could easily explain it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just had the same issue with my 2010 Traverse, took it to dealer, there is a TSB on wiring harness cover that gets chaffed, they say it is now fixed, time will tell.

The TSB is, I believe, PI-0220-- Doc ID-2527073, Properly route and cover harness at corner head, at least that is what it says on my invoice.

Hope this helps, btw where in Germany are you? I spent 9 years there, retired from USA in 92, have son in Spangdahlem.

If I can help in any way please let me know.

MSG (retired)

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
i know theres been another issue where the wire that gets chaffed is right in the area where the front passenger places their feet
over time a wire gets chaffed by a metal stud.
I think a member on the Enclave forum had this issue and took pics of the location and the wire...

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
your other post references P0300.

this is the code that was set. This code is for random misfires.

A P0300 diagnostic code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder

·
Registered
21 Posts
The random misfires was added to the invoice by the dealer, I did not claim that as an issue when I dropped the vehicle off, so, the code must have been stored and was found when the dealer ran the diagnostics. However, when my Traverse did finally start it did so reluctantly, perhaps that threw the code since it did seem to cough a couple of times before catching.

Ufda

1 - 14 of 14 Posts