Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into trading in my minivan for a 2010 Traverse. I love my minivan for all of it's interior space - it's perfect for my two dogs and the agility trials that we do. But I have gotten stuck twice in the snow (just one turn from home) and want to get back to a vehicle that's better in the snow. (I had a 4x4 Tahoe before the minivan). I also want to use it as an alternative tow vehicle for our 21' travel trailer (dry wt: 3400 Lbs). We're currently towing it with my husband's Silverado, which does a wonderful job, but he's not excited about loaning me his truck for the weekend to take the trailer to agility trials.

I know the Traverse is rated to tow 5200 lbs with the towing package which means I can technically tow our trailer. However, I'd love to hear personal experiences from anyone who is towing a travel trailer with their Traverse. I don't expect it to be as good as the Silverado, but just want to know that it's up to the job at least for "short" trips (less than 2 hours). Anything longer would be done with the Silverado.

Thanks!

Cindy

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I currently can only give you what I've heard on these boards:

For a trailer of that weight, the Traverse makes a great tow vehicle. It loves its fuel, but that may have to do to with the Tow/Haul function. It doesn't allow the transmission to shift into 6th until you hit 60MPH. If you turn off tow/haul, it will shift sooner.

Are you in a mountainous area? That will challenge the Traverse a bit more.

As long as you don't expect it to tow like the Silverado, which I'm assuming is a V8, I'm sure you will be very happy with the Traverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, the Silverado is a V8. I'm in MA and the places I'd use the Traverse to tow to aren't along overly hilly routes. Anything further or mountainous, we'll use the Silverado.

Cindy

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cindy, we just bought a 2010 Traverse with towing option with the intention to tow our 3300 lb.(loaded) TT from PA to AZ and back next fall. I'll do a couple of trial runs this summer but I'm expecting it to haul the trailer alright. We have a Silverado 2500 too but with it's gas mileage and cramped cabin I'd rather use the Traverse. In fact, I plan to let my wife and our Chihuahua sleep in the camper most of the time while I lay a portable memory foam mattress out in the back of the Traverse and bunk there. They'll not miss my snoring I'm sure.

Maybe someone with more towing experience will come along and give us some more info. ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I first noticed the Acadia and Traverse's at the campground. I've seen them pulling 24 ft travel trailers and spoke with the owners and they said they have no issues.

We currently have a small hard top but are going to go bigger now that we have the Traverse.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts