Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. I have Traverse 2010 LS. I replaced acdelco battery of OEM spec in July 2020. Previously the battery indicator needle used to be one point below 14 no in day (mostly) and in night stays at or just at 14 (mostly). The needle fluctuates according to weather condition or items being used during driving.

2. Nowadays, I have noticed that in day it goes well above 14 (not touching next point to 14). Is it ok? It fluctuates also around 14 and above 14. Is it ok?. Somewhere or in the manual I have read that normal battery range is 11.5 - 15.5 volts.
20201119_144912.jpg

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
yes its normal to see the needle move.
The computer controls the alternator output based on battery charge level and electrical load.
If your battery is fully charged and your electrical load is low- you may see the needle drop close to the hash mark below the 14.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Given Chevy's screwy range markings, each tic mark is 1.25 volts. So in your pic, it's reading about 14.5 volts. The next tic mark would be 15.25V. Why they couldn't put 4 tic marks instead of 3 between 14 and 19 is beyond my comprehension.

I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes ....thx...I was having an opinion that alternator is over charging may be

·
Registered
2020 High Country
291 Posts
Keep in mind the battery discharges faster than it recharges. It takes at least 15 min or more of run time just to put back the power used for just one startup. It adds up over many short trips. My GM fleet will drop down below 14 after driving for an hour or two. Even lower after a 3-4 hr. drive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts