Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were driving on the highway when the transmission just went out of gear. We had to change lanes, go into neutral, then back into gear. Has this happened to anyone? What has the dealer said? We're going to the dealer first thing tomorrow.
Thanks!

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
sounds like it slipped and then you were able to get back into gear?
Did you check the fluid level?
Miles on your vehicle?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. 15,000 miles; fluids were checked 4,000 miles ago. Any idea what happened? Tks

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
since it was able to get back into gear....
Im wondering if some small particle clogged something that caused the slippage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
cjs said:
We were driving on the highway when the transmission just went out of gear. We had to change lanes, go into neutral, then back into gear. Has this happened to anyone? What has the dealer said? We're going to the dealer first thing tomorrow.
Thanks!

Did you get the recall done on the trans cable?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Yes -we had the recalls taken care of at the dealer. We're going to see if it happens again, then take it back in.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
cjs said:
Thanks!
I have only had my Traverse for a few weeks ...early on, I was decending a hill, when I thought the tranny had popped out of gear. I looked at the tach, it read 3400, I thought it had kicked into neutral.

I later discovered, because of the 6 speed, the tranny downshifts on its own when decending a hill, just like manually downshifting ..... to avoid using the brakes.

So, in my case, the tranny did not go into neutral, it downshifted to a lower gear as I was decending the hill.

Bob

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
now that you mention this...
Didnt I read somewhere that the Traverse comes with Descent control????

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
yup- just looked it up.
Edmunds.com shows the Traverse with Descent control.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
yup- just looked it up.
Edmunds.com shows the Traverse with Descent control.
I had no idea about the "descent conttol" but certainly understand what they're talking about .... as I said, the first couple of times, I DID think the tranny went into neutral!

Bob

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
so it does sound like what I do on some hills in my trailblazer...
instead of being in overdrive going down hill-- I slip it into 3rd-- of course the RPM's rise- but now youre letting the engine do the braking-- and not riding your brakes- potentially causing brake fade- and boiling the brake fluid

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
so it does sound like what I do on some hills in my trailblazer...
instead of being in overdrive going down hill-- I slip it into 3rd-- of course the RPM's rise- but now youre letting the engine do the braking-- and not riding your brakes- potentially causing brake fade- and boiling the brake fluid
Exactly the same thing BUT while driving the Traverse, it's doing this for you, a strange feeling in my opinion. I think once you become accustomed to the ways of the Traverse, you'll go with the flow.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts