Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 2018 Traverse, V6 3.6 2WD.

I am looking to change the transmission fluid per the owner's manual under the severe maintenance section. I really just have two simple questions.

1. I am going to use ACDelco DEXRON-VI but found both a synthetic and non-synthetic formula. Which is best? I assume synthetic but want to make sure before I proceed. I called the dealer and they use non-synthetic for this model.

Part number: 10-9394 Non-Synthetic and 10-9243 Synthetic.

2. I cannot find anywhere the correct capacity for the transmission fluid in the manual. The only thing I found was a reference on AMSOil's site of 5.3 Quarts initial fill capacity. What is the correct capacity for this transmission?

Thanks all for your help!

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
Similar to the previous gen transmission. where it held something like 11 qts, but doing a drain, only 5.x qts came out- the rest was in the lines and tq converter.

this is what I found for the 9T65.
9T65 9-speed automatic transmissionTotal Fill 10 quarts (9.5 liters)
Initial Fill 5.3 quarts (5 liters)
AF6

So if youre doing a DRAIN and refill, I would refill with the amount you drained.
drive for a week or whatever- and then drain again.
and repeat a 3rd time if you like.

From,

As for Fluid-
I use NAPA or Valvoline Dexron VI. Full Synthetic.
The NAPA fluid is made by Valvoline.

THey are GM approved.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I've been using the Valvoline synthetic DexVI in my Traverse's (2014, 1st gen with the 6 speed) transmission and power steering (yours is electric, no fluid). My transmission still has some poor behavior after 4 drain and fills but that's either inherent to the transmission or the damage was done and the fluid can't mask it.

I do plan on trying the HP LV fluid some with 2nd gen have liked once I work through my DexVI stores.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Might want to do a thorough review of the following thread before you head down the fluid change road. A lot of good info revealed over time as the discussion went on.

·
Registered
645 Posts

I decided to go with the Mobil 1 LV HP Blue Lable ATF right off the bat, and have never looked back. Transmission has shifted perfectly over the last 30k miles. I dont see why that wouldn't continue.

Note! This is not a warranty compliant fluid for the Traverse, even though it's the fluid GM has autorized dealers to use to combat transmission shudder issues in Silverado's, Camaro's, and Vette's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Another approach for getting at the transmission fill cap that worked well on my 2018. I did not remove the engine cover. Instead I removed the bolt that holds on the ECM bracket and moved it out of the way (see photo). This gave enough room to remove the cap and put the funnel in for filling.
Motor vehicle Black Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

·
Registered
4 Posts
IMO, if the fluid has the required license, in this case Dexron VI, that's all you need to know. I'm sure that GM gets a royalty, but it's still NOT an easy license to earn. Brand names and descriptors (e.g., synthetic) assume that the manufacturer has somehow put something above and beyond into the product, which is highly unlikely. The DexVI spec is rigorous.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The wrong ATF can damage the seals and lead to an expensive transmission repair. Safest to use the ACDelco DEXRON-VI Automatic Transmission Fluid. It is a synthetic blend by the way.

There is no reason to by lubricants of any type from Amsoil and similar companies that spend a great deal on marketing to make people believe that their products are better. At least with diesel engines Amsoil has the worst performing engine motor oil despite it costing twice as much.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
746 Posts
A full synth. Dex VI fluid is better than GM's semi. synth. fluid.'s
In the 2 '16 3.6 Equinox's I maintain both had factory fill fluid at 40k miles that was black. Changed with Amalie full synth. and 35k miles later changed again and fluid was still nicely red.
Full synth. lubricants only for me in my fleet.
When my Traverse is due I'm going with AlisoBob's recommendation in my 9 speed as that thing shifts way too much IMO compared to my 6 speed trannies. Only 14k miles on it, it's getting serviced at 20k miles.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
2020 Traverse LT
61 Posts
I just changed the trans on my 2020 yesterday with Valvoline Dex VI. 13,700 miles. Fluid appeared to be nice and red on the shop towels. No apparent odors. Did this as precautionary measure based on everything I have read in this forum. The NAPA store I went to did not have the Mobil 1 fluid. I plan to do this again around the 30k mark. And use Mobil 1 then. Have fingers crossed this will prevent any issues later. Changing engine oils around 5k miles (30+ % life)
Trying to be preventive and keep this girl running for a number of years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just changed the trans on my 2020 yesterday with Valvoline Dex VI. 13,700 miles. Fluid appeared to be nice and red on the shop towels. No apparent odors. Did this as precautionary measure based on everything I have read in this forum. The NAPA store I went to did not have the Mobil 1 fluid. I plan to do this again around the 30k mark. And use Mobil 1 then. Have fingers crossed this will prevent any issues later. Changing engine oils around 5k miles (30+ % life)
Trying to be preventive and keep this girl running for a number of years.
Gonna change mine again on my 2019 now that I've hit 25000 miles. Ordered the Mobil One from Summit Racing..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts