Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't place my finger on it exactly, but a few days ago my wife and I noticed that it seems to surge when driving. I don't see the RPM go up or down then this happnes I have been looking. My wife and I both notice that it seems to be braking???. What happens is while driving at a constant speed and not moving the accelerator pedal it acts like it is holding back and you can feel like it want to go forward but its not. I took it to the dealer on Friday 27 Mar 09 for the recall and explained it to the dealer and they checked it out and said it was fine. We are going on a spring break trip next week so if I get stranded, GM and the dealer will have some hot phone lines. The traverse has 5800 miles. The service guy told me it (the Traverse) was still learning its shift points. Yea right.

My background is I was a mechanic for 15 years for the Air Force. So I know what is mostlikely normal and what is not.

Has anyone experienced this. Danthechevyman, can you ask your service department.

Any help would be nice.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
interesting issues.

But the Transmissions/Computer do learn shift points- they will learn.. Im tempted to say that they learn based on your driving style.
But I wonder what the mileage range would be?

·
Registered
161 Posts
rbarrios said:
interesting issues.

But the Transmissions/Computer do learn shift points- they will learn.. Im tempted to say that they learn based on your driving style.
Have heard this before. Not doubting it, but I wonder how that works when 2 or 3 different people divide up driving the vehicle?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are both correct and I am fimular with those issues. The vehicle had 4100 miles when I got it and was a sales manages daily driver. This issue did not happen right after we got it. I'm not saying that it could not be "normal" however I will keep an eye on it. This is also not my first new car with this technology. It seems to act like your driving into a slight head wind. We are taking a road trip this week and will be watching it very close. Also since it has the 100,000 mile drivetrain warranty I'm not worried about getting it fixed if something does happen. Also I have my motor club plan if something does happen I am covered.

·
Registered
417 Posts
My 2 cents...

- Double check tire pressure. I noticed the "driving into a head wind" issue, then found the tire pressure was extremely low. They are big tires. I keep my near 40 psi and the drive is very nice now.
- Just as an observation, Sales Managers I've known tend to beat the **** out of the vehicles they drive. Hopefully he didn't damage the tranny in your Trav. Not a big possibility, but worth a thought.
- The "surging" and "braking" do sound like up-shifts and down-shifts. I don't see this causing you to get stranded while on the road, so I'd be more at ease about that. And, you do have the 1-800-chev-usa number at your use if you need it. Give them **** if it does break down ;)

Anyway, that's what I think. Hope it's helpful.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I did not have the Chevy phone number in my cell but I do now. And since we have on star I will contact them If needed. As for tire pressure I will check it and since we have the tire pressure sensors I will keep an eye on that as well.

Again thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2009 Traverse and no problems until this past Friday. While sitting in the bank drive-up and waiting for my transaction to be finished, my car surged ahead. Luckily no one was in front of me , so I didn't hit anyone. What could be the problem? I have had this car for about 18 months. Should this problem be checked by a mechanic? Is there a recall on this automobile? I am afraid to drive it now as I am afraid it will happen in traffic or at a stop light. Will GMC pay for this to be repaired if it can be repaired? Since this is due to the manufacturer.
This also happened to my sister-in-law as she also owns a Traverse, 2014, however, she was injured. This happened while stopped in front of a convenience store and the car hit a post.
What is the next step?

Thank you
Janet Sexton

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Are you sure that the gas pedal was not accidently pushed at the same time than the brake was applied while in drive position?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts