Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 traverse bought brand new and serviced regularly at dealership.. bought 2nd brand new traverse 2015 so both were driving traverse’s. Both have been serviced at Champion dealership. In July of 2017 we contacted them and said the 2013 seemed to be pulling a bit. They said it probably just needed a tune up which they did along with replacing a valve cover which totaled over 900.00. Pulled off lot and car was still doing same thing. Took it back and they determined this 4 yr old car needed a new transmission which was over 4,000. Had that put in, and now it is less than 5 months later and we are being told it needs a new engine. No service light or check engine light... ran perfectly on way to work, started it after work and it rattled and sounded horrible! Priced new engine at approximately 7000!!! Thaf would mean spending approx 12000 in 4 months time on a car 4 years old that has been serviced by Champion for everything. Someone please tell me how they are getting away with this???

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
How often do you check the oil level? (in between oil changes)

Interesting that no CEL came up...but they tell you it needs new engine....
can they tell you how they determined this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not often but that’s because I trust the oil life indIcator to tell me that and it never goes over based on mileage or date of next service. Obviously if we see a message and it hasn’t been the recommended time or miles we still go ahead and service it. We are not car mechanical savvy which is why we bought brand new and followed recommended services only going to the dealership. Seems odd that 4 mths ago they did a tune up but not one indication that anything was wrong with the engine? Again, it never made a sound on my way to work. Literally was as if someone poured water in my gas tank after work. Had to have it towed. They had it several days... the smell of gasoline was very strong and they mentioned something about gasoline getting into the master cylinder? Not sure. I hate that we don’t know about cars.

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
Always a good idea to check oil level.... even with an oil life monitor.

Oil life monitor uses a mathematical algorithm to determine oil life. (assuming the engine is at full oil capacity).
But engines use oil at different rates.
Some use very little.. some use more...

The owners manual states to check oil level at least at every fuel fill up.... which is roughly about every 300 miles.
These engines are very finicky in regards to oil levels.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The service center did not state that was an issue and the oil has been changed in the last 30days. But thank you

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you have all the service records from said dealership and they were all done on time, I'd think you have some legal grounds to dispute the repair.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Remember that the oil life monitor (OLM) doesn't tell you anything about oil level, i.e., how much oil is actually in the engine; it only tells you if the oil in the engine should still be "good," i.e., still have good lubrication capability.

An engine burning or leaking oil will lose it's volume over time and can do bad things if you lose enough, but the OLM will never know it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oil wasn’t the issue as I’ve repeatedly stated? The service center NEVER mention anything of the sort and the oil was literally changed a month ago. I drove this car to and from work... that’s it. It’s 4 years old. Had 119,000 Highway miles due to originally living in another state and coming home every other weekend. Less than 4 months ago we had to have a brand new transmission put in... at least then there was a sign of a problem. Car kinda hesitating so they said prob needed a tune up and valve cover replaced which was approx 900.00 only to be told (when nothing changed) that it needed a new transmission. So, after all said and done over 5000.00 4 mths ago. And now with zero warning, told the engine needs replacing.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Just because the dealer didn't mention it doesn't mean it isn't the problem. If the oil had been changed a month ago, it may not yet have gotten low enough for them to notice it. But many/most of your prior 15-25 oil changes that have been done since it was new may easily have gotten a quart or two or more low, ESPECIALLY if you've been changing it when the OLM says to (usually 7-8K mi), rather than at 3K or 5K miles.

Unless the person changing the oil actually measures it, or checks the dipstick before they change it, no one would ever know. And dealers and quickie lube places rarely check the dipstick first and almost never bother checking the volume they drain out - it all just goes into a big tank somewhere.

So my point was: while your oil may have been changed only a month ago, the damage has very possibly been occurring for past 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
Oil wasn’t the issue as I’ve repeatedly stated? The service center NEVER mention anything of the sort and the oil was literally changed a month ago.
greentraverse took the words right out of my mouth.
that is why I brought up oil.

Yeah- most shops will simply raise the car- or drive it over the pit- the young man pulls the plug- and drains the oil into that special lift up pan.
No idea how much came out.

I change my own oil- and have always measured what comes out. I refill my oil bottles- so I know how much was drained.
I check my oil level weekly- and if needed- add oil to bring the oil level to the FULL mark.
I used to use 1.5 qts of oil in 5000 miles. My last oil change--- was different. It went up to 1.9 qts. in 5000 miles. Not sure what happened there.

But on these engines- its VERY important that the engine have a nice supply of oil.
Oil is no longer used to just lubricate.

Oil is also used to move parts.. (almost like a hydraulic fluid)....
I believe its used for the timing chain tensioners...
The oil is used as a coolant... as there are oil squirters-- that squirt oil onto the pistons to cool them down.

So having proper oil levels is very important.

Some folks even report- they get noise coming from engine... I believe its when theyre turning left... a rattling sound.
Ive told them-- go check oil level-- and if its low-- add oil.... sure enough... no oil shown on dipstick. either they add oil-- or have an oil change--- no more rattling.

So- if indeed- you had oil changes--- but oil level was not checked....
then engine wear could have been occurring.
Example...
If your engine called for 6 qts.... and used 2 qts of oil over 6000 miles.... then its possible 4 qts of oil were doing the job of 6 qts.

So- on your other Traverse, make it a habit of checking the oil level the morning after an oil change--- to get a good idea of your TRUE FULL level on the dipstick.
And every 2 weeks or so-- check the oil level after its sat overnight. If its dropped--- add oil to bring it back up to the full level you noted after the oil change.

I have 2- 1 qt bottles that I use- specifically for adding oil- over my oil change interval, thats how I know how much Ive used.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Your engine is using quite a lot of oil at almost 2 quarts per 5000miles.

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
Your engine is using quite a lot of oil at almost 2 quarts per 5000miles.
My consumption has always changed with the type of driving I do..... that being said...

As per GM----

"normal consumption "can be in the range of one quart within 2,000 miles on a properly driven and maintained vehicle.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A lot of assumptions being made. The car wasn’t making noises, it’s serviced regularly and just because I don’t check the oil level doesn’t mean my husband doesn’t. The car is 4 yrs old. The transmission and engine have both failed. As for the other traverse? We traded that POS in today.
I’m not paying that kind of money and taking proper care of a car to be told if I don’t second guess my service center or take a mechanics class then it must be my fault when the transmission and engine fail... yeah, because that’s not all over the internet when you look up issues with the Traverse.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It is very hard to swallow that the engine/transmission failed on a 4 years old only Traverse. Your powertrain warranty is 19,000 over the warranty period but within the 5 years. GM should pay at least a portion of your expense for this mess It is ridiculus that you have to live this nightmare when a Japanese car can run well over your milleage and double this without any issues.i have a 2017 model with only 1200 miles and I dont like to read all the issues happening on the Traverse for the future.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
A lot of assumptions being made. The car wasn’t making noises, it’s serviced regularly and just because I don’t check the oil level doesn’t mean my husband doesn’t. The car is 4 yrs old. The transmission and engine have both failed. As for the other traverse? We traded that POS in today.
I’m not paying that kind of money and taking proper care of a car to be told if I don’t second guess my service center or take a mechanics class then it must be my fault when the transmission and engine fail... yeah, because that’s not all over the internet when you look up issues with the Traverse.
Be glad you didn't own the THREE Dodge Caravans I had. 1987, 1992, 1999. EACH ONE had a tranny failure at around 30K. Once repaired, they went another 100K+. How is that explained? By 2006, the Honda Odyssey was actually being made by Honda, so I got one of those instead. But even that one needed a new power steering pump.

So I understand your frustration, but in any case, we're simply trying to help you explain HOW this could happen. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
11,234 Posts
Im pretty sure that if you buy a Japanese car... it also uses oil as a lubricant.
Need to check those too.....
Not just the Traverse.

NEVER- assume that because the dealer services the car... that all is well with fluids/lubricants.
You need to check it yourself too.

Reactions: Thomcat

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Yeah- most shops will simply raise the car- or drive it over the pit-..................
Pit?? Haven't seen one of these in years. Thought hydraulic lifts killed the concept. The 60s were the last time I worked in a "grease pit" was in the 60s in my uncles 30+ year old then Shell station. OK for oil/grease or underbelly work, all but useless for work on wheels or engine top end work. Definitely not a good idea in flood areas.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Pit?? Haven't seen one of these in years. Thought hydraulic lifts killed the concept. The 60s were the last time I worked in a "grease pit" was in the 60s in my uncles 30+ year old then Shell station. OK for oil/grease or underbelly work, all but useless for work on wheels or engine top end work. Definitely not a good idea in flood areas.
The dealer I bought my '17 from has a double wide pit for oil changes. And the place isn't that old. Maybe 10 years?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The dealer I bought my '17 from has a double wide pit for oil changes. And the place isn't that old. Maybe 10 years?
And this is why we would never go into the pit until the car was stopped and chocked. A double wide pit is just looking for trouble.

Hydraulic lifts are much safer

And these are the many reasons why I change my one oil/filters for the past 50 years using ramps with ratings that exceed the weight of the vehicle - love the larger Rhinos for the truck. Can't possibly be an oil problem, eh?

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would take the car to an independent garage. Saying that the engine needs to be replaced with no explanation as to what has failed is BS. Only running an engine without oil in the crankcase or no coolant or having the timing belt break are likely to destroy an engine. In those situations your ears will tell you that there is a problem with the very audible noises from the engine compartment. I have 5 Chevy dealers within 30 miles of my house and I do not completely trust any of them and only one has a mechanic that is any good for a diesel. My 1998 Chevy Tahoe started to lose power on acceleration at 67,000 miles and no one could diagnose the problem as they all relied on hooking a scope up to do diagnostics. 20,000 miles late the Tahoe started to lose coolant at a rapid pace and it was clear that there was a blown head gasket. None of the current generation of mechanics had a clue as to how to do the diagnostics using their head and not a computer. For oil changes I use a quick lube place with the type of motor oil I want to have used. For repairs not covered by the warranty I use an independent garage (not a chain operation) with a good reputations and positive Yelp reviews. Dealers make very little of their annual revenue and income from the sales of the vehicles, something like 7-10%. Where they make their money is with parts and repairs. With parts they have a 300% markup and their labor rates are higher than for most independent garages. Don't expect them to be a customer advocate with regard to any problems with a vehicle.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts