Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a step by step, with photos, for how to do this on a Traverse or other Lambda?

·
Registered
856 Posts
Not sure, but I just did mine tonight with zero issues. Super easy, too.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
2010T said:
Does anyone have a step by step, with photos, for how to do this on a Traverse or other Lambda?
There are several posts on the Traverse forum, and I am sure there are even more on the Enclave and Acadia forums. Use the search function near the top right hand side of the forum home to see the SEARCH feature. Not sure if there are pictures on any of the write ups, but there are good details of how to do it in some of them.

·
Registered
856 Posts
ls973800 said:
There are several posts on the Traverse forum, and I am sure there are even more on the Enclave and Acadia forums. Use the search function near the top right hand side of the forum home to see the SEARCH feature. Not sure if there are pictures on any of the write ups, but there are good details of how to do it in some of them.
Yes, certainly more info on the other forums. I searched and did not see a step-by-step with photos, but there may be one that I missed.

Sorry that I didn't take more time last night to describe how I did mine, but it was late and I needed to hit the hay.

The transfer case is a little more time consuming than the rear diff. I was a little intimidated and apprehensive about doing this myself, but it is really very easy. Get a hand pump at your local auto parts store and two quarts of 75W-90 synthetic gear oil. I have an extended warranty, so I bought the AC Delco stuff from the dealer at $27 a quart (ouch). I've seen little blurbs on this site about a nicer pump for these sorts of tasks, but I haven't looked into it.

Advertised capacity for each case is 0.88 quarts.

Each component has a drain plug and a fill plug. Each plug is about the diameter of a quarter and can be removed with a 10mm Allen wrench. The drain plugs are magnetic as well as a metallic washer that has a small rubber gasket on the inside. IMPORTANT--do not install a fill plug where the drain plug should go. You may end up with leaks plus the magnets can't hang on to small pieces of debris above the fluid level.

Safely raise and support the vehicle so that it is level for this task. The transfer case requires a bit more room to comfortably work, so figure this into how high the vehicle is raised. You may want to have a good size drip pan under your drain pan to minimize draining fluid from splashing onto your garage floor.

Since I did not have a 10mm Allen for a 3/8" drive socket, I just used my 10mm Allen wrench. The wrench I have is about 1.5" on the short leg and about 6" on the long leg. It worked okay, but it would have been nice if the short leg was a bit longer. Also, since I was not going to be using a torque wrench for re-assembly, I made alignment marks on each plug and housing so things wound up where they should be.

The transfer case is the trickiest of the two as the fill plug is obscured by the rear of (I think) the engine cradle and the 180 degree bend in the exhaust. The drain/fill plugs on the transfer case are on the passenger side, so I slid under the front bumper (head first) and reached in from rear of the cradle and above the cradle. You could also slide in between the passenger side tires with your head toward the front bumper, however you are most comfortable.

There is a small line of sight between the cradle and the exhaust pipe that allows you to see the fill plug--you'll have to raise your head a bit and look from just inside the front passenger side tire to see the fill plug from the side.

IMPORTANT: Remove the fill plugs, or at least break them loose, before the drain plugs so you're certain you can re-fill each case after draining (thanks for the reminder jwhjr!!). It would stink if you drain, but can't re-fill.

Remove the drain plug, clean it off, re-install after all fluid has drained out. Use the pump to refill the case until fluid starts seeping back out of the fill, replace fill plug, and move on to the rear differential.

Rear diff is much easier--the drain plug is on the bottom of the case, the fill plug is on the driver's side and easy to see and get to. Repeat the same procedure as the transfer case and you're done.

My mileage was 68K when I did this (embarrassed) and the transfer case fluid was a little darker than honey coming out, but didn't smell burnt. There was a small amount of sludge and debris on the magnetic plug, but nothing I wouldn't have expected. The rear diff fluid was a little bit darker, and there was a little bit more sludge/debris on the magnetic plug. Fluid did not smell burnt, I didn't find anything unusual with the debris or fluid.

Good luck doing yours--I'm sure you'll do fine with it. :cheers:

·
Registered
718 Posts
Great write up! Only thing I would add is to make sure to remove the fill plugs first. You want to make sure you'll be able to fill it up once you have the fluid drained. I've had vehicles where the fill plug was next to impossible to remove and thought I was going to be in trouble, so I've always removed the fill plug first to make sure I wouldn't have an issue. :cheers:

·
Registered
856 Posts
jwhjr said:
Great write up! Only thing I would add is to make sure to remove the fill plugs first. You want to make sure you'll be able to fill it up once you have the fluid drained. I've had vehicles where the fill plug was next to impossible to remove and thought I was going to be in trouble, so I've always removed the fill plug first to make sure I wouldn't have an issue. :cheers:
Yes, yes, yes--great point! I actually did what you suggest just for the reason you describe. I will edit my write-up to reflect your suggestion. Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just changed my rear transaxle fluid and transfer case fluid at 70K miles. I went to the dealership and got the GM stuff. I'm sure Mobil would have worked just as well at half the price. It's a pretty simple job with a 10 mm allen wrench and a hand pump. Put it up on ramps, pull the fill plug first then the drain. The back took about a quart and the front about 1.5 quarts. It was a pretty easy job. Like others have said, the rear is much dirtier than the front. I also noticed I may have a leaking rear seal, something to keep an eye on since it's still under warranty.

·
Registered
856 Posts
How level was the vehicle during this operation? The reason I ask is because both cases are supposed to take 0.88 quarts per the owner's manual which is pretty much what mine took. 1.5 quarts for the transfer case seems a bit much.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Looking to do this soon. Any recommendations on specific fluids that you like to use?

·
Registered
856 Posts
I used the GM stuff.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
I used the GM stuff.
What was the weight that you used?

·
Registered
856 Posts
sahls01gmc said:
What was the weight that you used?
Per the owner's manual (and my write up above) I used 75W-90 synthetic gear oil.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I used Redline because of a great deal Amazon had a few years ago.

Any brand name should be fine. IIRC the GM stuff is grape scented.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts