Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it make any difference what gear your in in low when your in drive? Theres 6 gears in low should you stay in first or sixth or does it make any difference as long as your in drive. Clear as mud I know but hope someone out there in Traverse land can help.

·
Registered
272 Posts
When your in drive it just cancels out the low function. Whatever gear the low setting is in is turned off when you move it to drive and the tranny does its own thing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
When in Low, the gear you select simply limits the transmission to that gear and below. For example, if you move the gearshift to L and use the +/- to choose "4", your transmission can shift normally from 1st to 4th gear, but won't go into 5th or 6th. You are simply limiting the top end of the gears your transmission is allowed to use.

It's not a "tiptronic" type mode where you are manually shifting the gear into whatever number you choose.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Another way to understand the gear selection in new GM 6 speeds automatic trans was put to me like this:

Since there are a full 6 speeds in this transmission, there are times when you may simply have too many gears. One very easy situation to represent is towing. To keep the transmission from "hunting" the top two gears while on the highway if you were towing, just shift to "L" and select "5", or even "4" in some situations.

Six speeds is great for gas milage, but not useful in all situations. GM is just giving you the choice to get more out of your transmission if and when you need it.

One other situation where I've used it before is for passing. Instead of waiting for the transmission to down shift for that extra boost of torque to pass someone, I will move it from "D" to "L" which by default automatically lowers the transmission by 1 gear. Then I have full control over the extra torque when I need it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
admin said:
When in Low, the gear you select simply limits the transmission to that gear and below. For example, if you move the gearshift to L and use the +/- to choose "4", your transmission can shift normally from 1st to 4th gear, but won't go into 5th or 6th. You are simply limiting the top end of the gears your transmission is allowed to use.

It's not a "tiptronic" type mode where you are manually shifting the gear into whatever number you choose.
When in the "low" position, you ARE able to upshift or downshift manually, with the + / - button, if you choose to do so.

Bob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Narg said:
One other situation where I've used it before is for passing. Instead of waiting for the transmission to down shift for that extra boost of torque to pass someone, I will move it from "D" to "L" which by default automatically lowers the transmission by 1 gear. Then I have full control over the extra torque when I need it.
When I shift from D to L, mine downshifts 2 gears, to 4th.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
odypilots said:
When I shift from D to L, mine downshifts 2 gears, to 4th.
Mine drops to 4th, as well.

Bob

·
Registered
417 Posts
Seems that under 70 MPH it drops to 4th, over 70 MPH I've seen it drop to 5th from some quick testing I did yesterday. The trans is smart and won't let you tear it up.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I did some testing today and up to 85 mph, my trans dropped to 4th gear when shifting into low. I didn't feel comfortable going any faster to try to find a cut off point where mine shifted to 5th. Mine's a '10 with a build date of 10/09.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Keep in mind 4th gear is probably near to a 1 to 1 ratio like the old three speed trannys top gear. It will keep down shifting to 4th untill the computer cuts the speed to save the tires (S rated to 109 mph). The computer is not going to let you do anything to damage the drivetrain. This feature is specifically designed to allow you to stay out of overdrive when towing or hauling heavy loads. Staying out of overdrive keeps the rpm up so your engine stays in a more useable power range and prevents the tranny constantly shifting back and forth at every slight grade change in the roadway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts