Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine does not have the tow package. In the manual it talks about the trailer wiring harness. Should they all have one or just the ones with tow package? If we have to buy one, has anybody found a source?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have the trailering package, so I don't know for sure. But, most GM's are pre-wired no matter if it has trailering or not. It's just the plug will not be there. So you could easily have a 3rd party add a plug for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my question. I can install the plug myself but I have yet to find the harness. Anybody else know for sure?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hate to potentially freak you out, but when I got my Traverse this week I was talking to the salesman about the trailering package. (I got one) He said they order one on every Traverse they will sell, because to purchase just the harness afterwords is like $500, which is more than the whole trailering option. Hope for your sake he is crazy, or I misunderstood, but just passing along what I heard.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's crazy. The hitch, harness and plug are about 300 according to the dealer parts department. Was looking to see if anything is available aftermarket.

·
Registered
10 Posts
With the factory towing package (option V92), the tow rating is 5,200 lbs. Without the factory package, the max tow rating is 2,000 lbs regardless of what kind of after-market hitch you install. The factory package includes heavy duty cooling, thus the higher rating. I believe the prohibitive cost of installing the cooling components is what the salesperson was referrring to when talking about expense, not the hitch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That might be. I was going by the part where it said " because to purchase just the harness afterwords is like $500". That lead me to believe he meant just the harness.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
someone posted that they asked during one of their intro courses/conferences if addind the option after would be good.. they were told no....
so even if you add an aftermarket hitch it still wont tow more--- the factory option in this case is ideal...since it includes heavy duty cooling (radiator for example)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that part too. I don't need the extra capacity. I was just looking for a source for the harness besides GM

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my tow kit from etrailers.com. The Hidden Hitch class III hitch receiver ($144.95) and the wiring harness ($22.95). It was easy to install about 35 min. The wire harness is a T-plug which plugs right into the tail lamp wiring harness. ;D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Can you put the bumper cover back on with that model or does it stick out and you have to leave it off? Pics would be nice

·
Registered
110 Posts
Tbone said:
I bought my tow kit from etrailers.com. The Hidden Hitch class III hitch receiver ($144.95) and the wiring harness ($22.95). It was easy to install about 35 min. The wire harness is a T-plug which plugs right into the tail lamp wiring harness. ;D
Do you mean etrailer.com? You said etrailers.com. I just want to make sure I am going to the right site becasue there seems to be no etrailers.com site but there is etrailer.com.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts