Traverse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just plugged in my brake controller harness and I am getting a code on my prodigy controller "S.H." that is a short. The problem is I am getting .83 volts on the brake light signal wire without the brake pedal pushed. It should be 0. I get 12 volts when I step on the brake pedal like I should. Anybody run into this or no a fix? I don't have time to take to the dealer at this time.

Thanks

·
Registered
417 Posts
Oooooh don't get me started on trailer wiring :angryfire: :banghead: Anyway, the way to test that would be to get a breakout connector so you can connect one or two wires at a time to test voltages and connectivity. Not fun. It might be easy though to just test the braking voltage on the brake pins. This page may help: http://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
on another forum- a member said he was towing something- and he felt that his Traverse stopped BETTER with the load--- than his Tahoe did.
he does not have one of the add on trailer brake thingys,,,

But I got curious and looked in the manual---

it talks about the blue wire- being left disconnected under the hood (by the fuse box). and to have a qualified person hook it up.
I suspect this was done to his (I think he bought it used).

Maybe this blue wire has something to do with yours?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wel it looks like my controller is bad. Prodigy is sending me a new one under warranty. I still don't know why there would be voltage at the brake light signal wire. The brake switch is on off not variable resistance. Well if the new controller works all will be good.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I was wondering if the Prodigy was bad too. I think that the controller is supposed to "auto calibrate" to the vehicle. Meaning, when the brake pedal is not pressed, whatever voltage (very low) will be calibrated as zero. Anyways, hopefully a new controller will solve all your problems! Good luck and let us know!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't recall there being voltage when brake pedal is *not* pressed. Your Prodigy should be reading zero. If it indicates a short... well,... there is. The pinout on the factory trailer connector from GM is labelled clearly and you can easily test for voltage using a multimeter. The dealer should be able to validate this stuff as well.

It's too dark right now for me to run outside and check it out with a multimeter to confirm for you. I have a Prodigy and it works great with my V92 equipped Outlook. I hope you enjoy the use of yours as well.

·
Registered
11 Posts
MAybe this is a thread hijack but can I ask where you guys mounted your brake controller? My best idea so far is to use velcro to attach it on the underside of the dash, driver side. I would mount it only when needed.

My prodigy's user manual states that it must be horizontally level as much as possible, it doesn't matter if its ends point up or down though.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
heres one on an acadia

·
Registered
150 Posts
Mine is similarly mounted as rbarrios has in his picture, but I have mine to the right-side of the steering column and I have the Prodigy mounted in its pocket with velcro attachment to the dash (I used Velcro Industrial) due to my black interior. Works great and no issues with slight angle to mounting the Prodigy. The Prodigy is able to calibrate for that slight angle.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
its possible you need to be a member of the acadia forum... since thats where the pic is hosted.
some acadia members cant see pics from the traverse forum.... when theyre not trav forum members

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
are you logged into the acct?

A

·
0 Posts
FWIW; I see the pic and I am a member of all the Lambda forums :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Yes I am logged in. I have no idea why I can't see it, but it doesn't matter. I have to find a good spot for my brake controller yet. I have long legs, so I don't want it to interfere with my right leg being able to hit the pedals.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Quantum,

Here's a post I did on wiring in my brake controller last August. The pics in this post show where I ended up placing the controller. This might help you decide placement.

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=739.0

Good luck!

Regards,

Jim
In God We Trust!

·
Registered
150 Posts
As previously posted in this thread, I have my Prodigy on the lower part of the dash to the right of the steering column. I'm 6' 5.25" tall and I don't have any issues with my legs hitting the Prodigy at all. Your seat/driving position may vary from mine. You could simply use some green masking tape to temporarily hold your brake controller in place and see if you get any issues with leg/seating positioning.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts