Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to turn off the traction control every time I start the engine? I didn't know if I was doing something wrong or if it's built that way. I know from several topics people talked about in order to get better mileage, you needed to turn off the traction control. :-\

A

·
0 Posts
By default; the traction control system is engaged when you start the vehicle and you have to manually disengage the system with the switch.

Are you concerned about your current MPG?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not concerned yet, but several posts talked about higher MPG with it disengaged. They made it sound like there was about 2-4 MPG difference. In this age with fuel prices bouncing around, I was wondering whether to check TC device each time. Mine has under 200 miles on it but wanting to drive it in consistent way.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
are you driving fast/bad enough that your Traction control system is activating- and lighting up the message on the dashboard?

If so--- its not the traction control-- its your driving thats causing low MPG.

I leave mine on all the time-- I have no issues with MPG.

So let us know if youre light comes on the dash...

There was a thread where someone appeared to have 'reset' their traction control or stabilitrack--- and reported higher MPG... But I dont remember if others were able to recreate this.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
lookin4new1 said:
Not concerned yet, but several posts talked about higher MPG with it disengaged. They made it sound like there was about 2-4 MPG difference. In this age with fuel prices bouncing around, I was wondering whether to check TC device each time. Mine has under 200 miles on it but wanting to drive it in consistent way.
in this case..
I think what you can do NOW-- to get better mileage... is with such low miles-- you can teach your trans to shift.
Its in the learning stage-- where the computer is learning certain parameters it will need to operate nicely.

What you can do- is drive gently enough-- where your 1-2 shift occurs at about 1800-2100. your 2-3 shift occurs at about 2200-2400.

If youre 1-2 shift is occuring in the 3500-4500 range-- then youre too aggresive..

I now drive and shifts occur at 1800 to 2200....

·
Registered
202 Posts
I only shift at WOT (Wide open throttle) ! :confused: :happy:

Just kidding... this isn't my g8 we're talking about here! >:D

I wonder if you could shift into the manual mode (shift lever all the way rearwards) and then use the thumb-level "+" and "-" keys on the gearshift lever to force it to shift "earlier" in the RPM band.

Also... don't expect perfect gas mileage "right out of the gate" .... these engines need time to properly "break in". Some people find that fuel economy improves substantially (2-3mpg easily) as their engines reach >10k miles. Engines are built with very tight tolerances, in planning for some items to wear slightly during the normal useful life of the automobile. Thus, as the engine 'breaks in', the tighter-than-normal tolerances begin to hit their sweet spot and the result is that you get improved response and improved gas mileage.

And also, for what it's worth, how are you calculating gas mileage? Hopefully NOT resetting the trip odo and just taking it's word for it?

The only proper way to calculate average gas mileage is tank-to-tank, and comparing miles driven (difference in odometer readings since last fillup and this fillup) to the gallons used. I find that websites like mpgtune.com are very handy for keeping good track of this.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
202 Posts
lookin4new1 said:
Do I have to turn off the traction control every time I start the engine? I didn't know if I was doing something wrong or if it's built that way. I know from several topics people talked about in order to get better mileage, you needed to turn off the traction control. :-\
By the way, here's the thread that supposedly contains the 'fix'.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=894.0

After talking with an old experienced mechanic he told me that the trouble could be the traction control switch and that I needed to reset it...he had noting but disdain for this particular feature.

I got my car up to speed, set the cruise and did 6 sets of disengaging and reengaging the traction control and it fixed my problem.

I just got back from a trip to the airport, 125 miles with cruise set at 58 and got 27.1 MPG...amazing!!

Please, try this on your car and report back...this could be the fix to your problems too!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
My traction control stays on all the time. I cannot imagine a 2 to 4 MPG difference with the control off....

Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
My traction control stays on all the time. I cannot imagine a 2 to 4 MPG difference with the control off....

Bob
Bob,

After reading through that referenced thread... some have found that a 'hard reset procedure' of toggling on and off the TC button 6 times while driving at highway speeds caused the system to reset and mileage to improve. Maybe that thread's OP had the button partially stick or something else when they rocked it out from being stuck in the wintertime. Unknown if this will fix the OP in THIS THREAD's issue, I suspect their engine needs to break in a little bit more. But it's quite a harmless test to try. It's not like it's the magnetic fuel saver :happy:

A

·
0 Posts
Magnetic fuel saver

Magnetizer Fuel Energizer Certified Fuel Savings & Horsepower Increase Tests

· VTEC Laboratories - test - 26% drop in fuel consumption.

· Preliminary Emissions test by Institute of Aeronautics (Poland) - 40% CO reduction, 20% HC reduction.

· RV Power Group - Gulf Stream high rise from 5.34 mpg to 8.08 mpg.

· Bacon Equipment Company - 33% horsepower increase (farm tractor).

· J.P. Bethlehem, PA - 12.5% faster 1/4 mile race time (Corvette).

· Manner Automotive Tech - 10% horsepower increase (Chevrolet).

· Penske Racing - 4.8% average horsepower gain (full race engine).

· Tom McCall, Petrochemical Engineer - de-carbonizing of fuel injection system and engine.

· Chile EPA - 18% Fuel savings.

· Chinese test on early prototype Auto Fuel Energizer-7-10% Fuel savings.

· Tomei Industrial Furnace, Taiwan - reduction of 11.7% of heavy oil used.

· Northern California Diagnostic Laboratories reported a 5% increase in horsepower during testing.

· US Border Patrol Test (8/10/95) - 94 Chevy Suburban 27.0%, 90 Ford Bronco, 29.8%, 91 Nissan 4 x4, 10.3%,
86 6.9L Diesel, 50.8%.

· Electrometal Ltd. (7/31/95) - Genset (Motor/Generator) - Saved 25% on Diesel Fuel.

· Wheels Ltd. (11/04/95) - Two Ambassador's Vehicles, increased mileage of rental cars by 17.46% and

18.0% respectively.

City of Berkeley CA - Fuel Economy change: 95 Ford Crown V8, 14.13%, 95 Ford Crown V8 (2.46%),
90 E-350 Ford Van V8, 7.06%.

http://www.wholly-water.com/magnetizer/super.magnetic.fuel.saver.htm

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry,

I must have been thinking of the "vortex generator" fuel saver.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Performance-Fuel-Saver-Increase-MPG-Gas-Mileage-20-hp-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQitemZ320573401775QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

BRAND NEW

BUY IT AND IT WILL PAY FOR ITSELF IN WEEKS

New finned fuel saver to increase airflow and Horsepower
INCREASE GAS MILEAGE BY 6-8 MPG

This fuel saver is universal and fits in any round intake tube (every vehicle has one) with a diameter of 2 inches to 4 1/2 inches which covers 99.9% of vehicles. Our product is simple, this new design smoothes out airflow going through your intake tube and aids in the engine needing less fuel to run smoothly, thus increasing gas mileage drastically.

:beer: :happy:

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I don't possibly see how traction control can harm, or help your fuel mileage in normal driving conditions. Your Traction Control doesn't do a thing until it reads that one of the drive wheels is slipping/spinning faster than the other. If it doesn't detect this slippage, then it is basically not there. It should have nothing to do with MPG. Now if you are constantly driving in the snow and ice during the winter, then I could see where the Traction Control MIGHT decrease fuel consumption, but when technically speaking, it should do the opposite, as it is preventing your wheels from spinning faster and faster, as they would without traction control.

As for the previous thread with the traction control issues.... My gues is the differential was stuck into the locking mode (where both wheels are locked and spin at the same rate no matter what). Then I could see this causing more problems than just bad MPG. **** that's how you ruin tires and even suspensionn components. :eek:hno:

Overall, I call balogna on the traction control off can help my MPG issue. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the responses... I will not touch it then. I guess I was misunderstanding the quote(s) that I read. I will leave the TC alone. Also, I do lots of city driving in that I work in my town. I just want to make sure I'm doing nothing to hurt my MPG. I don't gun it at red lights.... (at least not ALL the time, I am a guy still trying to keep my youth,however) Once again thanks for all the help, Traversers!!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I recall many of discussion about this from years past. At least in GM and Ford products the traction controls do nothing until a severe activity causes them to engage, like others have said above. In the two years I've owned my Traverse I believe I've only seen it engage once (in 8 inch new snow fall) Leave it be, you'll be fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts