Traverse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 traverse problem. After traveling 150 miles, these messages came up on the screen, "tracation control off, service traction control, service stabilitrak, engine power reduced. and the engine began running rough. I pulled over and shut it off. Waited a few minutes and cranked it up. there were no messages and the engien ran smoothly. Made to destination. drove all day no problem. 2 days later, same issue. pulled over. let it sit and started it up. ran fine, sort of. occasionally, it felt like it was jerking at the tranny. no messages came up. finally, it happened again about 10 miles from home. wouldnt start this time. wrecker came. he dropped it in front of the house and said he felt something pop or release at the brake pedal. It started up. No messages. One dude i found says this could be a dirty throttle body. it sends a signal to the TBS, which send a signal to the computer which misreads, apparently the problem and shuts the engine to three cylinders. This is a big problem since there aree so many previous posts that say the mechanic, or the dealership could fixt it. by the time it got to the mechanic, there were no codes to read. NOTE: this very same thing happened severa months ago. towed it to a mechanic, no codes but his tech said he thought it was the ignition switch, so they replaced it. didnt fixt the problem. HELP!

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
Unless you have your own code reader with you when it stops running, everything is just a guess when codes disappear.
No start has 2 meanings, did it crank over and not fire up or did it not even crank over. Both are distinct and different conditions for no start with many different diagnostic directions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so when i tried to crank it, the engine did not turn over, like the battery was dead. like i said, it did start after we got it off the wrecker. i drove it to work today. My research also says that the rough running i described may have been the engine reducing to 3 cylinders, not a problem with the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
2020 High Country
1,266 Posts
Get the battery load tested. I personally have had 3 batteries in the last 15 yrs have internal connector failures. No crank yet jostle the battery and they cranked right up. 2 of them failed while in warranty. No crank is a sign of a power delivery failure whether battery or another component like cables or in your year fuse block issues. If PCM doesn't have a solid, consistent power supply it will not run engine properly.
Battery condition check is step one.
Power supply issues will not set failure codes.
Others will chime in on Gen 1 Traverse issues, I have a Gen 2.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 traverse problem. After traveling 150 miles, these messages came up on the screen, "tracation control off, service traction control, service stabilitrak, engine power reduced. and the engine began running rough. I pulled over and shut it off. Waited a few minutes and cranked it up. there were no messages and the engien ran smoothly. Made to destination. drove all day no problem. 2 days later, same issue. pulled over. let it sit and started it up. ran fine, sort of. occasionally, it felt like it was jerking at the tranny. no messages came up. finally, it happened again about 10 miles from home. wouldnt start this time. wrecker came. he dropped it in front of the house and said he felt something pop or release at the brake pedal. It started up. No messages. One dude i found says this could be a dirty throttle body. it sends a signal to the TBS, which send a signal to the computer which misreads, apparently the problem and shuts the engine to three cylinders. This is a big problem since there aree so many previous posts that say the mechanic, or the dealership could fixt it. by the time it got to the mechanic, there were no codes to read. NOTE: this very same thing happened severa months ago. towed it to a mechanic, no codes but his tech said he thought it was the ignition switch, so they replaced it. didnt fixt the problem. HELP!
I have a 2012 Traverse LTZ and I had this same problem last week. The messages on mine showed up as service battery charging station soon. Then I got messages about Stabiltrak and Traction Control. Then reduced power mode was engaged and my AC, radio and dash lights all went out. I ended up losing engine power completely about 2 blocks from my destination. I did some research and determined that my alternator needed to be replaced. After looking at other forums I also found that the alternator had to replaced with an AC Delco brand. Apparently others who replaced theirs with an off brand had issues again within days after installing it.

After replacing the alternator in mine, I haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED: First i cleaned the throttle body and put it back on. didnt fixt the problem. Then i replaced it with a new one. So far, this has fixed it. What my research tells me is: The throttle body sensor detects a problem or the tbs itself is faulty and the ECM acts by shutting down the engine to 3 cylinders and the aforementioneed messages appear. Spent 200 for a new part. DONT take it to the dealership. This part takes about 15 minutes to replace. it on top and easy to reach. there is a simple relearn process.;

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 traverse with 96k miles and within a week I started having the same issue. I took it to tireman for diagnostic and they said it was a brake pedal position sensor which they wanted 200 to replace I got the part for 12 bucks and put it on myself in 5 minutes but right after I put the new one on and went for a drive it started saying service stabilitrak instantly so from your post I'm gonna try the throttle body oh and they also told me I needed a new battery cuz my car would randomly click when I try starting it again tireman said it was the battery spent 230 on new battery and when it's really hot out it still clicks and doesn't start. So I assume I need to replace my starter but it's been fairly cool out this past weekend and started great so I'm hoping if it gets hot during the week it still starts but if I replace the starter and it still does it idk what ot could be

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
There is a calibration process when replacing the Brake Pedal Position Sensor. Some folks have had success by just bending the tabs or adding a shim instead of having to replace it. This is basically a software generated issue, there are several sensors which can contribute to these annoying messages.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good day fellow Traverse Forum member Welcome. I have a 2015 Traverse and I experienced similar issues which I now realize that 95% of Traverse owners experience these same problems its ongoing from the 2009 to 2017 models and most dealers and mechanics are clueless as to what's causing this issue. Anyway 4yrs and a few thousand dollars later I finally resolved the problem by accident. While my mechanic was replacing my engine Mounts he noticed my right front Axle which I now know is attached directly to the transmission was defective....not knowing the resolution was on its way. Once he replaced the right Axle those trimmers I once experienced was completely gone. At times I would be very afraid when the steering wheel would vibrate so hard from the trimmers!!! Just think...i almost threw away $3500 thinking I need a new tranny. Well good luck I hope this info helps. Keep us updated!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good day fellow Traverse Forum member Welcome. I have a 2015 Traverse and I experienced similar issues which I now realize that 95% of Traverse owners experience these same problems its ongoing from the 2009 to 2017 models and most dealers and mechanics are clueless as to what's causing this issue. Anyway 4yrs and a few thousand dollars later I finally resolved the problem by accident. While my mechanic was replacing my engine Mounts he noticed my right front Axle which I now know is attached directly to the transmission was defective....not knowing the resolution was on its way. Once he replaced the right Axle those trimmers I once experienced was completely gone. At times I would be very afraid when the steering wheel would vibrate so hard from the trimmers!!! Just think...i almost threw away $3500 thinking I need a new tranny. Well good luck I hope this info helps. Keep us updated!!!
Make sure you try and change your Transmission Fluid every 15,000 miles its very crucial. Some people wait longer and then regret it....Remember it's not. Toyota

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, now there is a new problem. the vehicle was started by remote, then when the key was put in, it died. tried restarting it and the engine just turned over and didnt try to start. the mechanic thinks it is a sensor not communicating with the ECM that the vehicle is trying to start. cant know which sensor just yet. There are no codes. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, now there is a new problem. the vehicle was started by remote, then when the key was put in, it died. tried restarting it and the engine just turned over and didnt try to start. the mechanic thinks it is a sensor not communicating with the ECM that the vehicle is trying to start. cant know which sensor just yet. There are no codes. Any ideas?

Factory or aftermarket remote starter?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Make sure you try and change your Transmission Fluid every 15,000 miles its very crucial. Some people wait longer and then regret it....Remember it's not. Toyota
I change my tranny fluid in both my Traverses at 30,000 miles, along with the transfer case and rear differential at the same time. Change engine oil religiously every 5,000 miles and I use Amsoil Signature Series 0W30. My 2009 Traverse AWD LS has 230,000 miles on it with the timing chains needed to be replaced once at 48,000 miles. Does not rattle upon startup here in Michigan when it sits overnight outside in the cold.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts