Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seen somewhere where you can buy the tpms reset tool for under $100. If so, where? Is there any way of reseting the tpms after tire rotation on 2011 Traverse LT?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Do some research but they are saying a big magnet will do the same thing the GM tool does. I don't have 2011 so I can't test it out.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
a big magnet was doable on early TPMS sensors.
Back in 2007 I tried the strong magnet on the 07 TPMS sensors on the Impala. Didnt work.

This is where I bought mine.
When I bought it from here-- ordering online gave me issues (it wouldnt take credit card)
I then called in- and the person told me that for this item- you had to call in to place order. (thus the CC not working).

https://gmspecialservicetools.spx.com/ToolDetails.aspx?id=5677

·
Registered
381 Posts
Make sure that your DIC has the ability to get to resetting the tire sensors. IIRC thd eary 11s did, but the later ones didn't. The tool still needs the vehicle to be in the "learn" mode.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
Make sure that your DIC has the ability to get to resetting the tire sensors. IIRC thd eary 11s did, but the later ones didn't. The tool still needs the vehicle to be in the "learn" mode.
From previous discussions, it was found that the later 2011's and now the 2012's will go into a relearn mode without any special tools. You do need the relearn tool to reset the sensors after you are in the relearn mode, but it can all be done by the owner according to the 2012 owner's manual. I have copied the section which tells how to enter the relearn mode right from the 2012 owner's manual found on line.

The TPMS sensor matching process is:
1. Set the parking brake.

2. Turn the ignition to ON/RUN with
the engine off.

3. Press the Remote Keyless
Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK
and UNLOCK buttons at the
same time for approximately
five seconds. The horn sounds
twice to signal the receiver
is in relearn mode and TIRE
LEARNING ACTIVE message
displays on the DIC screen.

4. Start with the driver side
front tire.

5. Place the relearn tool against
the tire sidewall, near the valve
stem. Then press the button to
activate the TPMS sensor.
A horn chirp confirms that the
sensor identification code has
been matched to this tire and
wheel position.

6. Proceed to the passenger side
front tire, and repeat the
procedure in Step 5.

7. Proceed to the passenger side
rear tire, and repeat the
procedure in Step 5.

8. Proceed to the driver side rear
tire, and repeat the procedure in
Step 5. The horn sounds two
times to indicate the sensor
identification code has been
matched to the driver side rear
tire, and the TPMS sensor
matching process is no longer
active. The TIRE LEARNING
ACTIVE message on the DIC
display screen goes off.

9. Turn the ignition to LOCK/OFF.

10. Set all four tires to the
recommended air pressure
level as indicated on the Tire
and Loading Information label.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm going to jump in on this thread to see if I can get help with my 2011 LS that has upgraded wheels from a GMC Acadia. I ran the 17" LS tires/wheels for a couple of years and then upgraded to 18" tires/wheels from a salvage Acadia. Everything was fine until I installed new tires last year (2018). Once winter hit, I started having the "Service Tire Monitor System" warning. I went to a tire shop and let them reset the TPMS and it worked great the rest of the winter season. Once the weather warmed, I had no issues. Now we have had temps drop again, and I'm back with the warnings. I bought a reset tool that works great, but I have to reset the TPMS daily. All 4 wheels reset without any problems. Being an LS, I can't get the system to tell me which sensor is defective, but I'm guessing that a battery is failing or a sensor is going bad. Does anyone know how to determine which sensor is faulty? The tire shop said all were reporting as they should be when I took it in for them to check. They reset them and I left. This is really becoming quite a nuisance to deal with.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
If you haven't installed new sensors, I'm guessing the batteries in at least one of them are starting to fail. They are only good for 6-7 yrs as I understand it.

My 2011 sensors were still good when I traded it, in Jan 2016, so they lasted at least 5 yrs. But they don't last forever.

·
Registered
252 Posts
On my 2009 Traverse I had all 4 sensors replaced when I got new tires about 4 months ago. After 10 years I felt it was time to just replace all of them at once. Who wants to go back to the tire shop as the go out one at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts