Traverse Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
I think a lot of the towing comfort comes down to the tow vehicle wheelbase vs. the length of the trailer. I spent some time looking around the Durango forum as the R/T Tow n Go has me very interested and the high tow rating makes me feel it can accommodate a nice travel trailer as well. But there were MANY warnings on that forum that even though a lot of trailers are in the rating the length of the trailer with the Durango's short wheelbase (compared to a full size pickup or Tahoe/'Burb) made for uncomfortable towing. But towing heavy car trailers right at the limit were no problem due to their short length.

Towing and selecting tow vehicles can be REALLY complicated if you are crunching all of the numbers to make sure it works or really simple if your tow vehicle is more capable than you need it to be.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Traverse will handle a single axle travel trailer. Double axle and your over the top, yes it will pull it but your just beating up the tow vehicle and pushing the envelope to the extreme.
My decision to buy a Traverse as a back up tow vehicle was determined by my trailer ''fleet'' of a pop up, 6x6x12 3500lb GVWR cargo trailer, 2 place snowmobile trailer and a 18' pontoon boat on a 3500 lb. GVWR trailer.
My Equinox will tow my fleet if needed but I will not beat it up if it's not necessary.
My loaded cargo trailer is my hardest tow and it has a slight V nose, full size camper (giant wind block) over 4k lbs. loaded up and vehicle loaded into the wind at highway speed your just beating the snot out of a Traverse.
I'd rather tow a double axle trailer, knowing that if there is a blowout there is another tire on the trailer to support the weight.

My experience towing 5000lbs, was that I wasn't beating the snot out of my Traverse. 235,000km and and 11 years old, the Traverse is still going strong. If GM engineers state a 5200lbs tow rating, I'm going to side with them, assuming you're within all of GM's specifications (GVWR, GCWR, tongue weight, etc.)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
@greentraverse just because a vehicle is unibody does not mean it is a compact utility vehicle, a designation meaning the vehicle is smaller than a regular SUV. Do you consider the Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dodge Durango CUVs? A unibody vehicle can be really strong, it all depends on the structure design and not if it is made in two parts.

I completely agree though that the Traverse is not a true truck or a towing beast. It's not designed for that considering the power and weight ratings. Travel trailers are also notorious for weighing more than advertised. Also, many travel trailers are bricks in the wind. You need a lot more power to drive at highway speeds and something like a boat. I personally would be really cautious in picking a travel trailer for the Traverse, or I'd get a better tow vehicle.

This all comes from someone who plans to get a boat and tow with the Traverse. Boats are easier to get full towed weights for, others often post truck scale results. I won't go over 4k towing.
IMHO, I believe that the car manufacturers are driving the notion that frameless vehicles are "SUV's." They sell more "SUV's" to unsuspecting people that way. While a unibody CAN be really strong, it's not a frame, and not something I think should be used to pull a 2 axle trailer. But - whatever floats YOUR boat.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
515 Posts
Big difference towing with a unibody Traverse or any unibody vs full frame Tahoe. Trailer hitch noise and vibrations go right through the Traverse hitch mount into the body and you where as in the Tahoe or a pickup full frame it's isolated.
Especially when those lighter / empty trailers are bouncing around.
I now can see how one of the rubber isolation ball mounts are useful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. Question for you. I have a 2016 chest Traverse. We have the factory towing package. We are looking into buying a camper that has a GVWR of 4950. We are a family of 5. We probably will only put about 600 pounds in trailer. Dry weight of trailer is 4205. Our family is about 700 pounds in the car. I plan on getting WDH with trailer. Am I over weight capacity for towing? Do I need to add the people to the dry weight total? Thanks for your help in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi. Question for you. I have a 2016 chest Traverse. We have the factory towing package. We are looking into buying a camper that has a GVWR of 4950. We are a family of 5. We probably will only put about 600 pounds in trailer. Dry weight of trailer is 4205. Our family is about 700 pounds in the car. I plan on getting WDH with trailer. Am I over weight capacity for towing? Do I need to add the people to the dry weight total? Thanks for your help in advance
Sounds like you need a new vehicle....you’ll be dangerously over the weight limit with the camper/family/luggage. I have a 2900lb pop up and once loaded up with all the luggage and family I’m over 4000lbs and I feel thats pushing my Traverse especially in hilly or mountain areas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2010 Traverse 2WD LT2 with towing package....I was towing a 3100LB dryweight winnebago in the past 5 years. Fam of 4. (650lb) plus a max 300-400 lbs of additional load..I would not go over that...I also had a new transmission put in at 115k miles 1.5 years ago. Got a Silverado 1500 so I can tow a bigger trailer. I would not go over 80% of towing capacity of the traverse(5200lbs). Good luck!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Have 2010 (bought new) 21 foot dual-axle camper with a brochure shipping weight of 3,400 lbs. Weights 4,800 lbs (truck scale) including gear, provisions and memory foam bed. Do not use the fresh water tank. One person. Pulling it first with a 2010 LT (FWD) then a 2020 Redline (AWD when trailering). No problem for 11 years; the AWD is a plus on campground gravel inclines. Mileage almost identical.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts