Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what I can tow with my 2011 FWD, no V92 package on it or tow/haul mode, also what would I need to put on it to tow the 5200 pound limit, thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
I saw you didn't get any replies. I usually don't reply on this subject as they tend to draw some heat. Personally, I don't recommend towing with the Traverse towing package AWD or not. Even with the tow package and All Wheel Drive, towing the 5200lbs is highly problematic. By the time you load people and gear inside of the Traverse, you are well over the recommend gross combined towing weight even if your trailer is at or slightly below 5200lbs The couple of people I know that have tried it report that their transmission never got above 4th gear unless going downhill and being in the Desert Southwest, overheating was an issue even with the tow package. The engine may have respectable horsepower, but the 3.6 doesn't deliver the torque of a larger engine. Fuel mileage wasn't what they thought as they would get 10 or 12 mpg. I get the about same mileage towing an 7500lb 30ft trailer with my Sierra (at reasonable speeds) A smaller engine spinning at 3500 or 4000 rpm can actually use as much if not more fuel than a larger engine loping along at 2200 rpm. It wears a lot more also.

Another issue is the unibody design of the Traverse doesn't lend itself well to a weight distributing hitch which would be necessary for proper handling for the FWD only vehicle trying to pull 5200 lbs. The weight of the trailer tongue tends to pull needed weight off of the front wheels and will cause handling and traction issues.

I have gotten some heat for recommending not to tow with the Traverse or just tow small. When we bought the Traverse AWD, we never had towing in mind because of my experiences. My dad was in the trailer business and I have towed trailers for 50+ years and have seen a lot including hitches that have broken off part of the unibody and caused an accident. When unibodies became popular, my dad would never sell a standard travel trailer to anyone with front wheel drive or a unibody because of the issues. Largest he would go is a tent trailer. Many people who went away mad came back after someone else would oblige just to make money and say "I should have listened to you."
Well, my post is just my opinion. You can search and find any opinion you want. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I concur with most of oldbiker said, but if you're still interested, PM me your email address and I can send you a bunch of info on adding the V92 package. But understand that GM will not warrant you for 5200 lbs unless the V92 came from the factory.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I concur with most of oldbiker said, but if you're still interested, PM me your email address and I can send you a bunch of info on adding the V92 package. But understand that GM will not warrant you for 5200 lbs unless the V92 came from the factory.
I didn't reply for two reasons.

1. @greentraverse has covered this so thoroughly in his/her posts I have nothing useful to add.
  2. This has been asked so many times when I first read the post my first thought was to post "USE THE SEARCH TOOL" but I decided not to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts