Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to add a trailer brake control but I am unsure how to tie it in because I do not have the factory package. Can anyone help. 2010 traverse AWD

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
CEC said:
I would like to add a trailer brake control but I am unsure how to tie it in because I do not have the factory package. Can anyone help. 2010 traverse AWD
Did you know the towing capacity is reduced from 5200# to 2000# ..... if the vehicle does not have the tow package. There are many posts on this forum, regarding that very subject.

Bob

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
cec--- bob is right.

On another forum--- another owner was told by the salesman that his Traverse could tow 5200 lbs...
Only to find out-- he doesnt have the tow package....
And he needs to tow something heavier than 2000.... yikes!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I understand the limits. I am looking at a travel trailer with brakes and a weight of 1700lbs. How is the brake controller tied in correctly?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
CEC said:
I understand the limits. I am looking at a travel trailer with brakes and a weight of 1700lbs. How is the brake controller tied in correctly?
I did not realize electric brakies were available to units under 2000#.

Would you supply info on that 1700# trailer? I would be interested in the unit.

Go to the "help with towing wire bundle" for answers to your controller questions.The posts may assist you.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: Towing a 3300 pound boat without the factory package

Can the traverse (without factory tow package) tow a 3300 pound boat with only the heavy duty transmission cooler and hitch?

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "heavy duty transmission cooler." Traverses with the tow package have a "heavy duty radiator" that incorporates a transmission cooler. So if you have that, you have the factory tow package, which is advertised as good for 5200 lbs. If you don't have it, then you're only advertised (and warranted) to 2000 lbs.

If you want to haul 3300 lbs, I would strongly suggest an aux oil cooler. You can get them from etrailer.com.

If you want to add more of the tow package, PM me your email address and I can send you a lot of info on parts and installation. (Still won't be warranted for more than 2000 lbs, though.)

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
the engine will pull it.

the issue is cooling of the engine.. and more importantly the transmission.

Adding the aftermarket cooler will help.

though be warned that if the vehicle is still within warranty--- and something happens..
warranty can be denied if the damage is due to overtowing--- because you towed in excess of the warrantied 2000 lb limit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts