Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently bought the LS model without the towing option. Before buying, I read a few reviews and road tests. A few of the reviews said the Traverse had a Maximum towing capacity of 5200 LBS but did not mention that you needed the towing package option. Having had a Blazer I thought that was reasonable for a large SUV and went ahead with the purchase. As it turns out only 2000LBS can be towed without the option. From what I have researched, the towing option consists of extra cooling for the engine, the hitch, and wiring. Nothing is said about a transmission cooler or larger brakes. This leads me to beleive I probably can tow a 2200 LB boat a short distance, perhaps 10 miles. As I live in Florida, we don't have many hills.

Can anyone give me their opinion?

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Did you ask the salesman about this before you purchased. Becareful about adding after market packages as they could void warranty coverage if damage occurs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can put the hitch on the vehicle but officially 2000lbs is the tow limit without tow package. With that being said you have to decide if you want to do it or not as it technically could void the warranty.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the inputs. I did have an aftermarket hitch put on, but the only thing we use it for is a bike carrier. I might have to re-think the boat and buy a jet ski instead.

·
Registered
201 Posts
FYI one ski (3 person Seadoo) weighs 800+ pounds without the trailer and gear so two would kick you over the 2000 again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey everyone!

We just bought our 1LT this past weekend!

After returning home and doing some follow-up research I learned that you needed to purchase the towing package in order to tow over 2000 pounds. I completely forgot to bring this up when we were purchasing ours. We did purchase ours from another dealer in the area and it is being transported to the dealership we bought it at, so it was not factory ordered. That said I do have a small boat and do pull around a well built trailer that loaded with furniture would lead to above 2000 pounds Im sure of it. Im considering calling the dealer up tomorrow and trying to get them to throw it in after the fact or cut me a 50% deal or so... That being said I've read information on this forum that says you CANNOT get it done after the fact at a dealership OR it costs you more than the 500.00 cost if you get it up front....

Question is: What is the right answer (you cant get it at the dealership after the fact, it does cost more than the $500.00 or its $500.00 and you can get it done?).

Also I read that you have 30 days to bring the car back.... how true is that, can you really bring it back?? Do I lose my down payment or anything if I do (I would do it because the towing package cant be installed and because I found an LTZ for about 4000 more with 4000 miles all ready on it)???

Thanks!

Chuck-n-Discs

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can't add it to involved if you could way more than $500 see if they will locate another one for you. Better then not getting the vehicle you need.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Chuckndiscs said:
Hey everyone!

We just bought our 1LT this past weekend!

After returning home and doing some follow-up research I learned that you needed to purchase the towing package in order to tow over 2000 pounds. I completely forgot to bring this up when we were purchasing ours. We did purchase ours from another dealer in the area and it is being transported to the dealership we bought it at, so it was not factory ordered. That said I do have a small boat and do pull around a well built trailer that loaded with furniture would lead to above 2000 pounds Im sure of it. Im considering calling the dealer up tomorrow and trying to get them to throw it in after the fact or cut me a 50% deal or so... That being said I've read information on this forum that says you CANNOT get it done after the fact at a dealership OR it costs you more than the 500.00 cost if you get it up front....

Question is: What is the right answer (you cant get it at the dealership after the fact, it does cost more than the $500.00 or its $500.00 and you can get it done?).

Also I read that you have 30 days to bring the car back.... how true is that, can you really bring it back?? Do I lose my down payment or anything if I do (I would do it because the towing package cant be installed and because I found an LTZ for about 4000 more with 4000 miles all ready on it)???

Thanks!

Chuck-n-Discs
DO NOT TAKE THE VEHICLE!

Research your options before accepting delivery, hopefully it is NOT TOO LATE to get what you need. In California where I live there is no "cooling off" period, you take it you own it! IF you even think you'll exceed 2Klbs get the correct vehicle. It is more than just the hitch to a proper tow package, there is cooling, suspension, trans shifts and brakes involved.

To many people buy vehicles that are not properly set to tow and then are disappointed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got the tow option because my wife is so attached to her mom, that I figure I'll be towing a casket around. Anyone know if OnStar has pay-per-minute therapy sessions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
So I just got off the phone with the dealer and here is what they said:

There is a Chevrolet installation for 225.00 that will raise the towing capacity to 3500 - 4000 pounds. This includes the wiring harness and hitch. The only difference they stated between this option and the 500.00 option is the bigger radiator. I specifically asked them if there is a trany cooler added in the towing package from the factory or not and he said no...not additionally. IS THIS TRUE... THE ONLY THING THE FACTORY TOWING PACKAGE INCLUDES IS A BIGGER RADIATOR?? Thanks for your help!

I really feel like they are just trying to get me to take the vehicle thursday.

FYI: I have not signed ANY financing documents yet and have not taken delivery of the traverse. I did sign the purchase agreement thing. Do I have any weight to be able to say: "Forget it...lets go find an LT1 that has the towing package and forget the one that is on its way" or are they going to tell me no deal.

THANKS ALL!

Chuck-n-discs

·
Registered
201 Posts
Adding the hitch and harness will get you to the 2000lbs limit tow package includes tow/haul for trans along with the reprogramming for the computer, bigger cooling and a different wiring harness. Did you put a deposit on the vehicle? If not check local state laws if you have to. You really want a Traverse with the tow package not one with a hitch added. The only reason I can think that they would not deal is if they went a long distance for the one you are getting on Thursday, I know it is a pain but any deal is better then no deal at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
THANKS!

Took your advice and asked them to find me another LT1 with the current option + tow package. They did find me one AND I got bucket seats in the 2nd row thrown in (well not really thrown in but I talked them down such that my price for first LT1 = price for second LT1)!!! Thanks for the info and push to stand up and ask for what i wanted.

I got a lot of info on this subject the last 2 days and I should probably dump my brain so that others have it but here is what I heard from the Chev dealer in MN and a hitching post that all they do is install hitches +: The Traverse is built to pull 5,000 pounds (suspension, etc..). The tow package adds a bigger radiator (really..this is a good thing all around...no?), programming to shift at different points and cooling in the tranny (not sure if this means a cooler of what). SO if you add a hitch you can pull 5,000 pounds its just how far, how hot it is outside, and how frequent where the tow package comes in...

Anyways; THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS Y'ALL!!

Chuck-n-Discs

·
Registered
201 Posts
If that was really true why does the other Lambda vehicles have a lower tow rating with the tow package then Traverse. Pulling a trailer over the rating can void your warranty FYI.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Dan....that's make a good point. NEVER tell the dealer that you have been towing something when a breakdown happened. They'll never be able to show otherwise.

I had a 1986 chevy blazer 2.8ltr....30k miles and started knocking real bad. Took it to the dealer and they would not do anything until it stopped running. Put my 30ft camper on it and toss'd that rod out the oil pan.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Ferne said:
I got the tow option because my wife is so attached to her mom, that I figure I'll be towing a casket around. Anyone know if OnStar has pay-per-minute therapy sessions?
lmao...YIKES!!!! :angel:

·
Registered
6 Posts
danthechevyman said:
If that was really true why does the other Lambda vehicles have a lower tow rating with the tow package then Traverse. Pulling a trailer over the rating can void your warranty FYI.
I believe you Dan and that is why I stood my ground.... just telling you thats what they told me....take it for what its worth.

Thanks!

Chuck-n-Discs

·
Registered
201 Posts
It does make sense that they updated the specs on previous models the capacity maxed at 4500lbs

·
Registered
73 Posts
Isn't the DI engine the/one of the reason(s) for the increased towing since it also increased the HP? The engine on my 09 Acadia is way more powerful than my now defunct 07 Outlook even though it is still the 3.6L v6.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts