Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, today we went out and bought at 2010 Jayco Feather EXP 213. It is 23 feet long, weighs unloaded 4350lbs, max weight 5500lbs. Don't worry, we don't ever plan to load it up to 5500lbs.

Anyways, we took it for a test tow and the Traverse handled it perfectly. There was a lot of power to keep me going at 100km/h (60mph). I went up some good inclines too, without any trouble. Even one grade, from a dead stop which was about 1 mile long, and probably 8% incline, I handled it fine in 2nd gear at 50km/h, which was the speed limit on that stretch of road. When we pick it up, I will get a pic of the combination. Right now, I only have the trailer by itself.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Fine looking travel trailer! What features/specs directed you to the Jayco?

bob

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We really liked the floor plan of the Jayco. That is what caught my eye. Then we noticed that more manufacturers had the same floor plan. This one has a slide out, out the rear of the unit, a slide out, not a canvas pop out like a hybrid. Anyways, some of the other manufacturers require support bars under the slide out, Jayco doesn't.

K-Z Spree was the competing model for us. It had bigger holding tanks. But, the KZ sits higher off the ground, so it will catch more wind when towing. Plus, the deal was pretty good!

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, and the mileage took a good hit too. 12MPG on a short 40km trek.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quantum said:
Oh, and the mileage took a good hit too. 12MPG on a short 40km trek.
Thanks for the replies on the Jayco. I'm toying with the idea, as well. To pull 5,000 lbs and maintain 12 MPG is acceptable, in my opinion. Totally, you're moving 10,000 lbs, 12 MPG for that is thumps up, in my book.

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
Quantum, nice looking trailer for certain. It's nice to know the Traverse pulls it well and still gets decent mileage compared to the monster motorhomes that return 3 to 5 mpg. I may never tow such a rig, but it's comforting to know I could.

Im curious, how is the stopping? I assume the trailer has electric brakes of its own.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stopping is great. You may recall, earlier this week I entered a "How-to" on a brake controller. I could defnintely feel the trailer brakes doing there thing. I highly recommend the Prodigy P2 brake controller. If you ever get to that point and do some research, you will notice that Prodigy is one of the better models. It was only $135, which I don't think is very much, for stable controlled braking.

I dialed down the brake controller a bit much at one point, trying to set it properly, and although the Traverse was able to bring it to a stop fairly well, I was glad I wasn't in a panic brake situation (ie, traffic on the highway).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice trailer. We'll be towing our [email protected] in a couple of weeks with the Traverse for the first time. I'm looking forward to seeing how it does. I think the [email protected] has a GVWR of 3300 lbs. Should handle it fine. :cheers:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes, you will be able to tow that unit just fine. I don't know what the exterior height of that unit is, but the Jayco that we bought has an exterior height of 116". I just don't know if that is the roof line, or the a/c unit on the roof. I'm thinking the a/c unit on the roof. Either way, I'm sure yours will catch less wind than ours does.

Also, I won't be towing in 6th gear. First of all, in tow/haul mode, you need to hit about 110km/h, and I don't plan to ever go over 100km/h. Secondly, as soon as I hit an over pass, or incline, it down shifts to 4th gear, so I can imagine that if I did ever get it into 6th gear, the Traverse does not have enough torque to keep driving at such low rpm.

In 5th gear, I'm running about 2200rpm. I forget what it jumped up to in 4th. One incline on the highway had the Traverse shift down to 3rd gear, to maintain 100km/h. It didn't seem like the engine was over worked.

The weakest link of the Traverse is the tires. They seemed fairly squishy. That may be resolved by adjusting the weight distributing hitch. Everything seemed fairly level, but it felt as though the weight on the rear was a bit much. I will try to distribute more weight to the front tires and see how that works. The tongue weight of the trailer is about 400lbs.

Anyways, this is probably pretty dull information for most people, but some of those RVer's out there may find this information worth while!

·
Registered
104 Posts
can you get some pics of it hooked up? i would like to see how it looks

·
Registered
312 Posts
Yeah, Quantum and Marjamr, bring on some pics of the complete rigs, especially given the different sizes and trailer styles.

That red trailer has kind of a retro look which is nifty.

You guys have two very nice looking travel trailers!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quantum,

Not dull info at all. Readjusting the load on the hitch by placing more on the front of the Traverse will give a more steady, even pull, rather than a pull and additional "down weight" on the hitch.

Bob

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The unit is still at the dealer, we made the deal on Friday. After they do the unit prep, and detailing, we can pick it up. Probably later in the week.

As soon as I get the unit home, I will be sure to snap some pics of the entire setup. I do have one more pic, that maybe of interest. The hitching equipment:

The first is of the hitch, the second is the rating of the load levellers, and the third is of the setup. I had the electrical unplugged in the pictures.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
When you pull the trailer, would you make notes as to what the shift points are, under normal throttle on level ground? I'm interested in what the shift pattern is when in the tow/haul mode, with the trailer being towed.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will do my best to remember! I will probably be grinning ear to ear as I drive.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Where do you anticipate going with your new rig in tow while you're grinning so hard?

I assume your travels will bring you into the USA as well as destinations in Maple Leaf land.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This year, since there isn't much camping season left, we are just going to hit Four Mile Creek State Park, in WNY. Its close to home for us, only 30 minutes away. Next year we hope to hit a few of the Provincial Parks here in Southern Ontario.

Problem will be getting enough vacation time from work!

Eventually we hope to tow down to Florida. We won't be going to Florida this winter, but I can see us making the trek next winter with the Trailer...depending on gas prices!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Cool. It will be interesting to hear you recount your first and future trips.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quantum said:
This year, since there isn't much camping season left, we are just going to hit Four Mile Creek State Park, in WNY. Its close to home for us, only 30 minutes away. Next year we hope to hit a few of the Provincial Parks here in Southern Ontario.

Problem will be getting enough vacation time from work!

Eventually we hope to tow down to Florida. We won't be going to Florida this winter, but I can see us making the trek next winter with the Trailer...depending on gas prices!
Stop by in Georgia, on your way to Florida, to say "hello" and have a meal.

Bob

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice... you should have fun with that!

If it works out financially, we are going to get a small trailer next year... Looking at the Jayco 17C right now and like the layout/size.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts