Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 2019 3.6L 6cyl, AWD LS. It's says towing capacity is 1500lbs without the towing package? I used to have a Subaru with a lame 4cyl and a clunky 4spd auto with a 2500lb towing capacity. Obviously there is enough power, is this to protect the transmission or is it a braking issue when trailering? I don't plan on doing much towing and couldn't justify the added expense of the "towing package" for a small boat or kayak trailer. Any insight on the huge increase in towing capacity with the "towing package"?

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
They must have lowered the towing capacity on the basic without the towing package. Usually 2000 lbs is the norm for the Traverse. For a small boat or kayak you will be okay no problem there. If you have been travelling in Europe you would be amazed what they pull behind a regular 4 cylinders small car. If you compare the towing capacity on a big Chevy Impala rated at only 1000 lbs you can easily almost double this capacity on a medium 4 cylinders oversea.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
They want you to buy the tow package. Big bucks for them. For about $575, they add a an upgraded radiator, a hitch, a 7-pin connector, a wiring harness and a tow/haul button. Probably costs them $100-150 bucks extra to add. Pretty sweet deal for them, don't you think?

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Agreed, one could save about $400. by throwing on an aftermarket hitch, wiring and connector for under $150 but that's not why you're paying the big bucks. You're overpaying the extra hundreds for the additional $1 worth of tranny/ECU programming, a $10 switch, and about $50 extra for an oversized radiator/tranny cooler exchange over the stock unit.

Try towing anywhere near the 5,000lb limit in warmer weather or other than flat roads and the $575 option is worth every nickel. Tow Haul button software adding anti-sway and lowering shift points for lower gears and increased and power at a given speed....plus locks out the 9th (second overdrive gear).

Lugging the engine in higher gears while towing a 5000 lb load using the standard gear programming and radiator with small tranny cooler is a guaranteed damaging overheat condition. GM doesn't charge $575 because it costs them anywhere near that or because it is worth it, they do it because they can! It forces you to pay the extra bucks because towing without it isn't an option.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got a little 13 ft bass boat I'll need the Traverse to tow, but I've got no hitch. Whats best in this case? Just have an aftermarket one installed (could this void warranty) or see if a dealer will put theirs on?

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Agreed, one could save about $400. by throwing on an aftermarket hitch, wiring and connector for under $150 but that's not why you're paying the big bucks. You're overpaying the extra hundreds for the additional $1 worth of tranny/ECU programming, a $10 switch, and about $50 extra for an oversized radiator/tranny cooler exchange over the stock unit.

Try towing anywhere near the 5,000lb limit in warmer weather or other than flat roads and the $575 option is worth every nickel. Tow Haul button software adding anti-sway and lowering shift points for lower gears and increased and power at a given speed....plus locks out the 9th (second overdrive gear).

Lugging the engine in higher gears while towing a 5000 lb load using the standard gear programming and radiator with small tranny cooler is a guaranteed damaging overheat condition. GM doesn't charge $575 because it costs them anywhere near that or because it is worth it, they do it because they can! It forces you to pay the extra bucks because towing without it isn't an option.

GM will make about $400 if THEY do it. But you won't save that much if you do it. I've done this twice on 1st gen.

Approximate recent prices for 1st gen:
GM hitch $203
Hopkins 7-pin connector $15.39
Tekonsha harness w/ fuses & relays $44.87
Aux oil cooler (MUCH cheaper than HD radiator) $63.95
Tow/Haul Switch $34
Total $361.21

So you save $575 - 361.21 = $213.79

If you have 2009 - early 2012, you'll also need a new fuse & relay box, which will cost another $100-125 or so depending on source. I'd hit a junk yard and get one cheap.

The 1st gen's had the tranny programming already in place. I don't know if the 2nd gen does.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
You can buy an aftermarket that you can install yourself. No big deal there. For the wiring you can tap on the wires lines for the lights etc. You wont need any brake on a small trailer unless you pull a big bass boat and trailer. What is the total weight of your boat/ trailer combo? You better get a hitch with a 2 inch tube. A hitch like this will cost you aprx $150 at Pep Boy.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
GM will make about $400 if THEY do it. But you won't save that much if you do it. I've done this twice on 1st gen.

Approximate recent prices for 1st gen:
GM hitch $203
Hopkins 7-pin connector $15.39
Tekonsha harness w/ fuses & relays $44.87
Aux oil cooler (MUCH cheaper than HD radiator) $63.95
Tow/Haul Switch $34
Total $361.21

So you save $575 - 361.21 = $213.79

If you have 2009 - early 2012, you'll also need a new fuse & relay box, which will cost another $100-125 or so depending on source. I'd hit a junk yard and get one cheap.

The 1st gen's had the tranny programming already in place. I don't know if the 2nd gen does.
I should have mentioned that you can get a cheaper hitch from Drawtite or Curt, but you'll then have to mount the 7-pin connector lower and it won't be hidden by the fascia like the GM one will.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I completely agree on your point of trying to to 5000# without the tow package. It just amazes me that it is limited to 1500#.

Fortunately I don't plan on getting a boat that weighs more than that.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Forgot to mention. You may have a wiring harness at the back ready to connect your trailer lights somewhere in the rear fenders compartments. Check it out! If you have one just tap your trailer wiring connector ( 4 pins ) to this harness. And you are ready to go. Good luck. Installing your own hitch is a matter of aprx 1 hour of work.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Thanks greentraverse for the follow up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 2019 3.6L 6cyl, AWD LS. It's says towing capacity is 1500lbs without the towing package? I used to have a Subaru with a lame 4cyl and a clunky 4spd auto with a 2500lb towing capacity. Obviously there is enough power, is this to protect the transmission or is it a braking issue when trailering? I don't plan on doing much towing and couldn't justify the added expense of the "towing package" for a small boat or kayak trailer. Any insight on the huge increase in towing capacity with the "towing package"?
Do not install an aftermarket hitch. You need to get this done @ any GM dealer . Do Not Put ANY Hitch ON , but a licensed GM dealer

·
Registered
4 Posts
No Add on Hitch except from GM dealer !

Do not install an aftermarket hitch. You need to get this done @ any GM dealer . Do Not Put ANY Hitch ON , but a licensed GM dealer

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
2014colt2014. Installing an aftemarket hitch like a Reese or Kurt is nothing wrong if they are made specially for the Traverse. I have been installing aftermarket hitches for over 25 years on all my vehicles and had no issues at all. The only one that I did not installed is the one on my Traverse because it came with the V92 package. GM buys their hitches from hitch manufacturers. They dont fabricate them.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Lots of people have put on aftermarket hitches that use the factory mounting attachment holes. I've not heard of any failure of these hitches nor have I heard of any warranty problems because of the hitch. Federal law states that for a company to deny warranty the added device must have had a direct adverse affect on the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Just a little question. Who told you that it is forbidden to install an aftermarket hitch? Even The GM dealer will tell you to go to a hitch installers shop to install one if you want one installed specially if your vehicule is older. Same for the mufflers and pipes. If your car need a muffler lets say after 8 years they will tell you to go to a muffler shop. Custom hitches made for a specific vehicule are very safe and if you have any fear of the aftermarket stay with brands like Reese, Curt, drawtite. Installation is aprx 1 hour and you save a lot of money doing it yourself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
They want you to buy the tow package. Big bucks for them. For about $575, they add a an upgraded radiator, a hitch, a 7-pin connector, a wiring harness and a tow/haul button. Probably costs them $100-150 bucks extra to add. Pretty sweet deal for them, don't you think?
Sweet deal? It's a multi-billion dollar conglomerate. Sorry to let you know, but $150 isn't "big bucks".

What about the tires.....oh gosh, they must be making a pretty penny on them too! I wouldn't get them neither!

A factory installed hitch is way better, and I'm pretty sure it isn't just a tow/haul "button".

1 - 20 of 34 Posts