Traverse Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I am curious whether or not its worth towing my rv with my 2012 Traverse LS. The rv weighs 3500# empty and i figure between people and stuff, im probably about another 1500#. Thats under the 5200# limit. Currently im towing with a 2011 silverado. It has the 4.3 v6 and pulls it down the road fine. The traverse does have a higher tow capacity, more hp and torque so im thinking its the natural choice. Any thoughts, concerns, or experience would be greatly appreciated. I do plan on pulling through the alleghany mountains of western pa also. Thanks
I had a 2011 traverse with towing package and towed my 21" travel trailer with slide out (4500 dry wt.) from upstate NY to Seattle Wa. over 3000 mi with stops. Even the Rockies were not a problem if you are not a speed demon. My travel speed never exceeded 62-65 and I was very cautious. Also, I had a load balancing hitch (a must have), since my traverse and trailer were loaded to the hilt. One issue was stability in high winds or when passed by tractor trailer, but again at slower speeds it was doable. A pickup would have been a better choice, however we like the 7 passenger option of the traverse. My newer 2015 traverse acts the same as the old one. Have traveled to Alabama twice pulling trailer and again from coast to coast. Only downside is gas mileage 10-11 mpg at best.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had a 2011 traverse with towing package and towed my 21" travel trailer with slide out (4500 dry wt.) from upstate NY to Seattle Wa. over 3000 mi with stops. Even the Rockies were not a problem if you are not a speed demon. My travel speed never exceeded 62-65 and I was very cautious. Also, I had a load balancing hitch (a must have), since my traverse and trailer were loaded to the hilt. One issue was stability in high winds or when passed by tractor trailer, but again at slower speeds it was doable. A pickup would have been a better choice, however we like the 7 passenger option of the traverse. My newer 2015 traverse acts the same as the old one. Have traveled to Alabama twice pulling trailer and again from coast to coast. Only downside is gas mileage 10-11 mpg at best.
And second place award for zombie thread of the day goes to.... and another first poster reviving the dead, nice.

At least this one had some legit commentary.

And for my post to be on topic, I saw a couple posts stating the tow/haul mode switch is worthless with small loads. I think it makes the Traverse much smoother with my 2,000 lb utility trailer. The transmission in this thing can be so clunky at times and the extra 2,000 lbs only makes it worse at low speeds when I make slow turns and it decides it needs to slam from 2nd to 1st gear. Tow/haul mode forces a downshift much earlier and makes the transmission much smoother at low speeds and on the hilly terrain around me. I don't need the higher shift points but the tradeoff is worth it to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello, I am curious whether or not it's worth towing my RV with my 2012 Traverse LS. The RV weighs 3500# empty and I figure between people and stuff, improbably about another 1500#. That's under the 5200# limit. Currently, I'm towing with a 2011 Silverado. It has the 4.3 v6 and pulls it down the road fine. The traverse does have a higher tow capacity, more hp, and torque so I'm thinking its the natural choice. Any thoughts, concerns, or experience would be greatly appreciated. I do plan on pulling through the Alleghany Mountains of western pa also. Thanks
You are very close to the limit. I would not go near that amount you claim here. I would not go past 4000 pounds. Also if you do tow that amount get the transmission done each year if you tow it alot..I have the heavy-duty towing package and can see if my transmission is running too hot. Heat destroys

21 - 23 of 23 Posts