Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I am curious whether or not its worth towing my rv with my 2012 Traverse LS. The rv weighs 3500# empty and i figure between people and stuff, im probably about another 1500#. Thats under the 5200# limit. Currently im towing with a 2011 silverado. It has the 4.3 v6 and pulls it down the road fine. The traverse does have a higher tow capacity, more hp and torque so im thinking its the natural choice. Any thoughts, concerns, or experience would be greatly appreciated. I do plan on pulling through the alleghany mountains of western pa also. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
If you have the tow package on your Traverse, you are nearly ready to go. All you need to do is wire in your electric brake controller...there are posts on here about how to do that.

I used to have a 2005 5.3L Silverado (company truck) and my Traverse actually pulled my travel trailer better. The Silverado was more stable because it had a frame, but power/transmission of the Traverse exceeded my Silverado. The 4 speed auto on the Silverado was a real killer.

If your Silverado is newer, with a 5 or 6 speed auto, then it may be the better choice...plus you have the box to throw all your camping gear into.

I use my Traverse to tow and I don't have any real concerns. We have an 1,110 mile trip coming up next month with the trailer and Traverse and I'm very much looking forward to it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I'm pulling a big hard top the same weight no issues.

The gas millage would most likely be close to the same as the truck. Possibly a little better.

In tow haul mode it will only run 1 to 5 no 6th gear. So it affects the millage.

Firth gear is designed to be the tow gear so I assume it's a little more durable then the other gears.

The Traverse is the best vehicle I've owned that I've towed with. Way more space than my Trucks had.

I'm talking cabin space.. Of course if your a family of 4 there is good space in the back with the third row down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have a 21" camper with a dry weight of 3,500. We probably have another 800 pounds of miscellaneous things. Our Traverse pulls it like a dream. Mileage is around 10 mpg.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Steve said:
We have a 21" camper with a dry weight of 3,500. We probably have another 800 pounds of miscellaneous things. Our Traverse pulls it like a dream. Mileage is around 10 mpg.
I assume you have a box style camper at 10 mpg.

I bounce between 13 and 15 mpg with the popup...

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have a single axle enclosed , v front aluminum loaded im at 3500 lbs, 9 or 10 mpg is all I can get , way less than I used to get with my Silverado but the travey is more practical for all around use.

·
Registered
142 Posts
jungle bunny said:
I have a single axle enclosed , v front aluminum loaded im at 3500 lbs, 9 or 10 mpg is all I can get , way less than I used to get with my Silverado but the travey is more practical for all around use.
I tow a single axle enclosed 6x14 V nose steel trailer at around 1700 lbs and I am getting between 13.5 to 14.3 mpg. My trip is lots of hills and only 2 stretches to get above 45 mph. The traverse acts like the trailer isn't even there.

I have found that my traverse tows better (probably due to the low weight) without the tow button engaged. with the button engaged, the engine braking and higher shift points kick in.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The tow haul switch is useless for light trailers.. I think all it does then is wast gas. It also as you said shifts bad and over rev's

I have a 10 Ft utility trailer and unless I have a couple of motorcycles or a large heavy load I may uses the tow haul.

But for the brush to the dump runs don't bother.

·
Registered
142 Posts
BigBlackTraverse said:
The tow haul switch is useless for light trailers.. I think all it does then is wast gas. It also as you said shifts bad and over rev's

I have a 10 Ft utility trailer and unless I have a couple of motorcycles or a large heavy load I may uses the tow haul.

But for the brush to the dump runs don't bother.
I agree completely. :thumb: I will be going on a 6/7 hr. trip each way with the Traverse and trailer in 2-3 weeks. I'll have long range data on the mileage and drivability after that. It will be the first really long haul with the traverse since I bought it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I ran mine at 3500 rpms for three long days straight coming home from texas, I was bucking a strong north wind, drove the speed limit, 9-10 mpg , I ran the speed limit , not over very often.
I just left it in regular mode , I couldn't tell any difference with the tow mode on.

It does the job, ya just need to have your visa card handy when towing with these gas hogs.

·
Registered
112 Posts
All T/H does is change the shift points ... prevents the tranny from shifting as early as it normally would to keep the engine up in its power band when accelerating with a heavy load in the City. Once you get to speed T/H does nothing. T/H was more effective on my old 4 spd Yukon that it is on my 6 spd Traverse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered the hitch, wiring and trans cooler. I going into the mountains in 2 weeks and will try it out. The camper I'm towing is a 23ft expandable. Wind resistance is the biggest key i think. As far as fuel economy goes, I only average 10 with the silverado while towing it, so even if its the same I gain a far better ride for the trip.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
jungle bunny said:
I ran mine at 3500 rpms for three long days straight coming home from texas, I was bucking a strong north wind, drove the speed limit, 9-10 mpg , I ran the speed limit , not over very often.
I just left it in regular mode , I couldn't tell any difference with the tow mode on.

It does the job, ya just need to have your visa card handy when towing with these gas hogs.
Towhaul basically turns 6th off.. With the load you had and wind you most likely were in 4th the hole way.

I would have ran with it turned on.

I would have most likely went to manual shifting as well and forced it to 5th as much as possible.

I normally have to do this even with the popup in the mountains. I can predict the hills much better than the transmission can.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I cant tell the difference i know what the button does, at 3500 rpm at the speed limit im guessing i was probally in 4 gear?
that tow helps yes when you start out it holds your shifts in longer, but i never start out, ( only time was when i had to stop for gas ha) seems like a tuff little 6 banger ? 3 long days and it didnt fly apart on me lol

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
Tow/Haul will lock out sixth gear until you go over 110km/h (about 67mph). Most trailer tires are not rated for more than 60MPH I believe, so if you stay within the trailer tires specification, you will never get into 6th gear while using tow/haul.

3500rpm at highway speed is 4th gear.

I try to tow in 5th when possible, but I'm not going to fight with the Traverse to keep it there. If I'm fighting a head wind or dealing with constant incline, I just lock out 5th and keep it in 4th gear. The mileage suffers about 1-2MPG to keep it in 4th instead of 5th.

Transmission temps are the big factor. I could never keep the transmission under 210*F on extended highway trips towing in summer temps (30*C or 90*F+). This is because the t-stat for the coolant is set for 205-210*F, and the factory transmission cooler is part of the radiator.

Last week I installed an auxiliary transmission cooler. Judging from what I see just driving around town without towing, it seems to work well. We have a fairly big trip planned in two weeks, where we will be towing our trailer to Boston, MA, about 850km (520mi) one way. I'm excited to see how the temps of the tranny will be. I'm guessing 190s.

·
Registered
229 Posts
i don't even know what gear I was running it, probally 4th your saying? 70 mph at 3500 rpm
I guess I never worry about the tranny heating up , I have the tow package and im well with in the tow limits.
I just never remember to turn the tow mode on half the time. and leave it in drive.
It seems to get me moving down the road ok. I don't have any limits on my trailer tires. It usually what ever the speed limit is, 80 mph in parts of texas, I might of had it up to 80 few times going down hill. but not much .

·
Super Moderator
2,039 Posts
jungle bunny said:
I guess I never worry about the tranny heating up , I have the tow package and im well with in the tow limits.
I have the tow package too...it doesn't mean too much when it comes to your drivetrain. The main features are the hitch, fuse box and wiring. The factory transmission cooler is standard on ALL Traverses, although the tow package version gets a "HD" cooler...whatever that means.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Quantum said:
I have the tow package too...it doesn't mean too much when it comes to your drivetrain. The main features are the hitch, fuse box and wiring. The factory transmission cooler is standard on ALL Traverses, although the tow package version gets a "HD" cooler...whatever that means.
well with the tow package you get the tow mode button locks them gears in for a longer time to get ya moving out from a stop light. and the HD cooler is pretty major item it must be designed to keep your coolant and tranny temp in the range. so that's a nice feature for towing, plus I get the factory warrenty 100,000 miles that's very important item that the standard travie wont get.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just got back from my trip with the travy and trailer. I averaged 13.7mpg going out driving in rain 98% of the way. This was 338 miles. On the way home I averaged 14.8 and had a peak of 15.2 for a while. the return trip was 382 miles. I feel the major difference in the mileage was due to the rain as I was in 5th almost the whole way. On the return trip I was able to stay in 6th gear for extended periods. all speeds were between 55 and 65. The traverse did a great job. I did not use the tow button at all however I did keep in in manual mode so I could downshift to keep up the speed on the hills. The Travy would bleed off a lot of speed before kicking down on its own and I didn't like that. Also the temp gauge never rose above where it is without the trailer so that was good. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts