Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I know it's been beaten to death but....

What does the tow button(just in front of the shifter) really do? Does it just lock up the torque converter, alter the programming or change the shift points?????

Could this be what we, without the tow package, are missing other than the "heavy duty radiator"? I have an extra plug just hangin with the rear wiper harness, could it - would it... what the **** does that button do! :cheers:

·
Registered
78 Posts
As I understand it, yes engaging the tow/haul mode changes the shift points - upwards I think. It also disables the park assist function, if fitted. Otherwise the trailer would be forever triggering that system.

I have no idea what you mean when you refer to a hanging plug - is this at the rear or around the switch panel?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The extra plug I'm referring to is attached to the wiring harness, behind the rear wiper switch

·
Registered
272 Posts
So your saying the harness might be there and all we have to do is add the switch for tow haul mode? That would be great!. I assume the Traverse has a standard harness and its pre-wired for everything.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
I would think that youd have to upload software- to have the computer modify the shift points...
The plug may be there--- but youd have to have a tech II tool to do it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i use it for my 3400 hybrid camper and wath it does it slows down the traverse when you dont touch the gas (even on downhills its very cool!! when its off its the normal Acceleration due to gravity and weight)i hardly need to have to break just a touch at the end and on highways if you leave it on it will rev higher and burn more gas. as for moving (hard and slow starts) have not see any change on or off i guess its to help you stop with the engine .

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
spectra1 said:
i use it for my 3400 hybrid camper and wath it does it slows down the traverse when you dont touch the gas (even on downhills its very cool!! when its off its the normal Acceleration due to gravity and weight)i hardly need to have to break just a touch at the end and on highways if you leave it on it will rev higher and burn more gas. as for moving (hard and slow starts) have not see any change on or off i guess its to help you stop with the engine .
All Traverse models have Descent control...
I think what is happening here-- is that with the modified shifting- the downhill descent control is more pronounced because you have a heavier load-- and the programming knows you have a load- and so will use MORE engine braking to assist going downhill....

As for it revving more--- yeah- the modified shifts...
They simply modify shifting- to leave it in gear longer-- and if the engine is revving more--- its more likely to be in the higher torque range... and what do we need to pull heavy things... torque.
But revving more-- of course-- uses more gas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thats why i leave it off when am cruising on highways and it does not let me shift in 5 or 6 gear ..6 is rare but 5 is easy for the traverse and it revs under 2000rpm. 4 gear is just burning to much gas.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The reverse assist is smart enough to figure out you have a trailer hooked up. It will flash the message on the DIC for about 30 secs that it is turned off when you put the car in any gear. This happens whether the car is in tow/haul or not. Using two/haul I got 14.5 mpg towing my 3500lb boat to the ramp. On the way back I left tow/haul off to see how it did and got 14.0.

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
the other day I attached my hitch mounted cargo rack- I had a box on it...
As soon as I put it in Drive- it had the message displayed about parking assist being off.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While researching I have found the following -
~ The same programming is used in the ECM for vehicles with the Tow package and without.
~ Pushing the tow button alters the algorithm to adjust the shift points and how/when the trans locks up.

I'll get the tow button ordered/installed and let ya'll know what happens.....

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
Pushing the button also alters the way the alternator works....
this is so that the battery in the trailered unit- can be recharged.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tow package question

Just got the new traverse yesterday. We couldn't locate one with a factory tow packag and the color we wanted (black granite 2010 w/0% for 60 mo.) Dealer claimed they can install one that will be exactly like the factory. They will install a factory hitch and have a local trans shop install a "top of the line" cooler. The only thing missing will be the tow/haul switch that I don't even use on my 07 Yukon. They are only charging me 1/2 of what the factory option charge would be.

My question. Is there anything else involved in the "factory" tow package? Don't want to fry the new car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Re: Tow package question

There has to be because adding the hitch and a trans. cooler does not change the 2000 pound limit. There must be different springs and/or shocks in the rear to bring it up to 5200. There are other posts about this as the question has been brought up a number of times.

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts

I will have to say that the dealer may have misled you.

Yes they can add a tow package that will "look exactly" the same as the factory one.

BUT it won't BE the factory tow package. That being said, you will not have the increased towing capacity of a Traverse that comes with the factory package (V92 option).

They can add a "top of the line" transmission cooler, but first of all, its not that simple to do, and secondly, it is not OEM from GM.

You will also not get the tow/haul button. That button tells the computer to change the shift points, to prevent your transmission from hunting gears. So even though you have an additional transmission cooler, your transmission is likely to generate more heat due to the excessive shifting.

You also get a spare tire with the tow package. Is the dealer also throwing in a spare?

In the end, your new Traverse will be aftermarket modified, and will not be anymore capable than it was when you bought it. Your new Traverse will still ONLY be rated for 2000lbs.

No matter what your dealer says, I am sure that GM will not warranty any part of your powertrain if you tow more than 2000lbs.

I hope for your sake, that you only plan to use your Traverse for light duty towing. Otherwise I would got back and get the dealer to find you another Traverse.

I hope you enjoy your Traverse as much as we do!

Regards,
Mark

·
Registered
13 Posts

What does the package actually add? 1. fuse block 2. harness 3. hitch 4. larger capacity radiator. Anything else?

A

·
0 Posts

Your dealer should order the correct parts from LDT to include the tow/haul switch and trans cooler. I realize many dealers contract out towing mods, but Quantum is right; you may overheat the trans without the proper computer mods for shifting that come with the tow/haul button. Your engine and hitch are capable of towing the max weight, but if that trans isn't right.............poof. One other thing I am a little unfamiliar with regarding the Traverse; what about the fuse block in the engine area..........is it the same as the Acadia; there is a different fuse block for V92 equipped vehicles?

·
Registered
11,435 Posts

pastorpete said:
What does the package actually add? 1. fuse block 2. harness 3. hitch 4. larger capacity radiator. Anything else?
tow haul button with modified shifting.
(this programming also tells the alternator to increase output- so as to charge anything in the item youre towing).
(this programming also- increases the # of blinks to 6--- you know when you tap you turn signal stalk it auto blinks 3 times-- when the tow haul button is pressed- it auto blinks 6 times).

·
Registered
13 Posts

Increased alternater output? Do the lights take up that much power? The tow/haul switch was originally installed to keep inexperienced haulers from overheating the transmission due to lugging the motor in overdrive. Father is a GM engineer that worked on the original design 15 years ago. The switch changes the up/down shift points to keep the motor in a proper hauling range. It has a small effect on my 07 yukon (4 speed not 6) but not much. The trans temp never gets higher than 195 on flat ground, and 205 hauling 4k up a hill in overdrive at 70mph. The real issue seems to be the cooling capicity. I assume...the larger capacity in the tow package is simply used for additional trans cooling and not radiator coolant. Radiators are easire to configure then a stand alone cooler. Any feelings from anybody???? Too bad dad retired..

A

·
0 Posts

pastorpete said:
Increased alternater output? Do the lights take up that much power? The tow/haul switch was originally installed to keep inexperienced haulers from overheating the transmission due to lugging the motor in overdrive. Father is a GM engineer that worked on the original design 15 years ago. The switch changes the up/down shift points to keep the motor in a proper hauling range. It has a small effect on my 07 yukon (4 speed not 6) but not much. The trans temp never gets higher than 195 on flat ground, and 205 hauling 4k up a hill in overdrive at 70mph. The real issue seems to be the cooling capicity. I assume...the larger capacity in the tow package is simply used for additional trans cooling and not radiator coolant. Radiators are easire to configure then a stand alone cooler. Any feelings from anybody???? Too bad dad retired..
Don't quote me on this, but I think the radiator is bigger on V92 equipped vehicles; the alternator increase output is there for trailer batteries that might need a top off

1 - 20 of 28 Posts