Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally saw 2 Traverses on the lot (no salesmen).
So I was able to get down and look around at the rear etc.
I noticed they had the optional $75 mini spare.
I didnt see a tow hitch.....
But was wondering--- does the spare get in the way of the optional hitch?
Is the spare an 18 incher... if you get 20's?

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2LT has the trailering package and spare tire. Both fit in under there just fine. I like how the hitch receiver and connector are hidden behind the removable plate, out of sight.

I doubt the spare would be different, if the only difference is 18" to 20" wheels. The overall tire diameter is probably the same, with the 20s just having shorter sidewalls. So the spare could be the same. Now if the brakes were different too, then the spare might have to be different for caliper clearance issues.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input. helps alot.
I did see a Lambda with the cover-thought that was neat.... and a few cars ahead of it by coincidence- was another Lambda with a hitch mounted cargo rack just like the one I use on my Trailblazer. I found myself slowing down and speeding up to see the differences and setup--- and was glad to see a Lambda using that hitch.... reinforced my desire to replace my Trailblazer with a Traverse--- as long as I can do this... its #1 on my list.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't see why it wouldn't work, as long as you don't exceed the max tongue weight. We have a bike rack that mounts the same way, though I haven't tried it on the Traverse yet.

Now that I'm thinking about it, getting into the rear could be a problem. The rear glass doesn't open on the Traverse, only the full liftgate. So you're SOL if you block it from opening.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now that may be a problem... usually the dog travels back there-- and during pit stops we open the glass and give her water to drink. well have to find a fix for that... I guess accessing her thru the back doors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just bought a 2009 Traverse LS with the spare tire option. I had a class 3 Drawtite hitch installed today at an aftermarket hitch installer. It does not interfere with the spare, which is a donut. My only dissapointment is the facia panel cannot be re-installed after the hitch is installed. It just doesn't clear the receiver. I probably will try to notch out a piece where the receiver is and re-install the facia panel.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does the fascia cover--- cover the factory hitch?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so it seems that the owner who had an aftermarket hitch installed.. its different enough to make the cover no longer work.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Came across this, I know it is an old topic. Yes, the aftermarket hitch does not allow you to put the cover panel back on. Also, based on where the receiver tube exits the bumper height wise, I couldn't see how to notch the cover to make it fit. It would end up being two pieces, left and right.

I also have a spare tire and it clears. I also have a bike rack and cargo tray I use. Both have to be unloaded to a certain point to open the rear hatch. I would really be nice if that glass opened like my old van.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sounds like this was a very nice feature on the Trailblazer- glass opened....
Did you try to locate a Factory hitch- to try to get the cover to close?

·
Registered
16 Posts
The hitch and wiring for lights was under $200 including shipping. The dealer parts appeared to be much more expensive so I didn't consider them. I really didn't want the cover anyway as it would be a pain to remove if you use it frequently enough. I do remember trying to see if I could trim it to fit a little nicer but gave up after realizing it would have to be cut into two halves. I now have a plastic welder and I saved the part, so I might go back at it again. It doesn't look too bad as it sits, and very useful.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once you do all the wiring- document it. take pics of you can.
I know there will be lots of future owners who want to add electrical on vehicles without the factory package....

I know on the Acadia forum- some members have had trouble simply wiring up to the existing wiring beacause their taillights are LED...
adding wiring to an LED setup--- well causes problems as many of them have found.

Traverse has 'regular bulbs'- so you dont get those LED issues...

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no they cant.... sort of.
they can install and aftermarket unit... so can uhaul and others.

What the dealer is trying to tell you- is that they cant install one and have it tow the amount as a unit with a factory hitch.

no factory hitch on your Traverse= about 2000 lb towing.
factory hitch installed on your traverse= 5200 lb towing.

the good part is you can have a hitch installed... the bad part is that you cant tow the 5200 lb- legally.

If you were to add a hitch and tow more than 2000 lb--- you void your warranty.

If you add an aftermarket hitch and only plan to attach bikes or cargo rack-- then youre fine...

double check the tow limit in your manual...

·
Registered
417 Posts
...The reason is with the factory tow package, they add different engine cooling options and something in the transmission too I think.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heavy duty cooling (larger radiator)(which also aid Trans cooling).
fused wiring for the tow hitch connector.
programming the trans for the tow/haul button.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
heavy duty cooling (larger radiator)(which also aid Trans cooling).
fused wiring for the tow hitch connector.
programming the trans for the tow/haul button.
I think it would be beneficial to check with GMPD to see if there actually is a "different" radiator for the V92 option. It is the tranny cooler, incorporated into the radiator, that suppies the additional 'cool" to the trany fluid.

Bob

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you go to some OEM part sites.
they list the radiator as w/heavy duty and w/o heavy duty. not sure why I cant get pricing on the Traverse and Acadia.

I was able to get pricing for the Outlook and it does list 2 different models.
w/heavy duty $714 for the radiator.
w/o heavy duty- $630

·
Registered
417 Posts
P.S. the "heavy duty" cooling is one reason I bought the towing package. I might tow, but seriously doubt that I'll ever do much. BUT, I did want the heaving duty cooling. We get up to a couple months of 100 plus degree weather with lots of humidity to make it even more fun. Just it's hard to keep your self cool in this mix of heat/humidity, it's also harder for your car. I've owned vehicles before that overheated way too easy during these months. Having the extra cooling I figure is not a bad thing in this case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts