Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

We got the towing package on our 2LT - the main hitch is there (the part that bolts into the frame), the round wire hook up is there....

In our lift up mini cargo area, we found a wiring harness with a square end on it, and not wored into anything....upon taking possession of the vehicle, the stealer said that that wire harness is for electronic trialer brakes....okay...if that is the case, why is it not hooked up?????

Also...we did not get the ball part of the hitch....is that not considered part of it??? Just trying to find out before we go back and consult them on all this.... :eyebrow:

THanks

Medman

·
Registered
201 Posts
It is the harness needed to wire an electric brake controller to the Traverse, you need to purchase one if your trailer has electric brakes most trailers use a mechanical tongue brake set up.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
danthechevyman said:
It is the harness needed to wire an electric brake controller to the Traverse, you need to purchase one if your trailer has electric brakes most trailers use a mechanical tongue brake set up.
Okay, thanks...but what about the rest of the hitch???

·
Registered
72 Posts
Normally only the newer Full-Size Trucks and SUVs have trailer packages that include a brake controller. The crossovers although they can tow, the installed tow recievers usually only see luggage or bike rack duty. The harness will make it easier (and cleaner) to install an aftermarket controller. Camping World is a good source. If you plan on towing anything larger than a lawn trailer I would highly recommend having a controller installed. It's a box with a thumb dial and slide bar that sits under the dash within drivers reach.

The actual hitch, the part the tow ball bolts onto is readily available from a U-Hual, Kragen/O'Riellys, Auto-Zone etc. If you really plan on towing more than a utility lawn trailer, I would recommend having the RV dealer or Camping World set up your hitch with weight distribution and sway control.

We have only put on 6K miles on our Traverse but in my opinion it's to lite in the a$$ end to tow anything heavy if not using weight distribution bars. I also believe towing will kill that trans rather quickly as the shift points are too soft.

·
Registered
115 Posts
medman said:
Also...we did not get the ball part of the hitch....is that not considered part of it??? Just trying to find out before we go back and consult them on all this.... :eyebrow:
Others have implied this, but NO, that is not included. You need to buy it somewhere else.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boatwrench said:
Normally only the newer Full-Size Trucks and SUVs have trailer packages that include a brake controller. The crossovers although they can tow, the installed tow recievers usually only see luggage or bike rack duty. The harness will make it easier (and cleaner) to install an aftermarket controller. Camping World is a good source. If you plan on towing anything larger than a lawn trailer I would highly recommend having a controller installed. It's a box with a thumb dial and slide bar that sits under the dash within drivers reach.

The actual hitch, the part the tow ball bolts onto is readily available from a U-Hual, Kragen/O'Riellys, Auto-Zone etc. If you really plan on towing more than a utility lawn trailer, I would recommend having the RV dealer or Camping World set up your hitch with weight distribution and sway control.

We have only put on 6K miles on our Traverse but in my opinion it's to lite in the a$$ end to tow anything heavy if not using weight distribution bars. I also believe towing will kill that trans rather quickly as the shift points are too soft.
Doesn't that suck....I was looking at pulling a boat down the road.....I don't mean a cruise ship.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
medman said:
...I was looking at pulling a boat down the road....
In a former career I did accident investigations for a transit company. I tend to error on the overkill safe side of things. Look closely at weight ratios and then determine your needs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What does pushing the towing button do (other than turn off the ultrasonic parking assist)? Does it change where the transmission shifts, change how the cruise control functions, etc?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
danthechevyman said:
That is what the tow haul does

...? what is what the tow haul does??...huh??

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
the tow haul button changes the way the transmission shifts- for better towing.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you need that button turned on no matter how much weight you are towing??

·
Registered
2 Posts
The tow haul button will reduce the amount of automatic shifting between gears when going uphill/downhill, but if you shift into 'L' and use the manumatic settings it isn't necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts