Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 Traverse LT. The vehicle model I have does not have the V92 yow hitch package which online states is just a hitch and a heavy duty transmission cooler. The chevy dealer had a hitch installed but said that the transmission cooler couldn't be added after factory (voids warranty).

Without the tow package, my traverse is only cleared to tow 1500 lbs. If the v92 package were installed, which appears to only be a tranny cooler, I could tow up to 5000lb. Im wondering if I had an after market transmission cooler added, would that really bump my towing capacity from 1500 lb to 5000lb?

·
Registered
257 Posts
It would possibly give you the confidence that you could tow up to 5000 lbs, but the vehicle would still be rated at 1500 lbs, as per the sticker on the driver's door. Additionally, you would set yourself up for a voided warranty if ever you had a drive train issue. I'm not certain, but I believe others have commented that there are some programming changes in the engine and transmission control modules that are also affected with the towing package, along with stability control/traction control.

Personally, I wouldn't tow 5000 lbs with a Traverse even with the tow package from the factory. It's a unibody vehicle (no separate frame) and won't handle the stress as a pickup or Suburban will, particularly if it's a FWD and the tongue weight is lifting the Traverse's nose and transferring weight drom the driven wheels. My opinion, it's a bad compromise to tow at that weight.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
239 Posts
I'll second not to use a traverse to tow near the max rating. I've got a Tahoe also and a full frame vehicle is needed to tow 5k , most I would put on my Traverse is 3500 lbs. It's got enough motor but that Unibody would be getting a big work out especially how tow receiver mounts.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I added an aux oil cooler and towed a 4000 lb camper. I wasn't happy. Bought a 1/2 ton pickup truck and it was a LOT better. Popups and A-liners only with the Traverse, IMHO. You don't want to pull a sail down the highway with a Traverse.

But if you insist, PM me your email address and I can send you info about adding the V92 package.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
239 Posts
I've towed my 6x6x12 single axle V nose trailer with mine and it tows just fine. 14 mpg over a 500 mile round trip in 2wd mode. Empty weight is 1500 lbs. . Towed just like it was on my Tahoe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone, I have the same question. I have a 2018 Traverse and it sounds as the V92 package biggest upgrade is the larger radiator with transmission cooler.

Users that have hauled heavy with their traverse, Did you have the tow package?

I am looking to haul approx. 4000# but would obviously need to upgrade the radiator etc..

I wonder if there are any transmission differences. I am going to the dealer on Wednesday to discuss.

Any input is helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
IMO, cooling the transmission is a huge part of towing to maintain a certain temperature to prevent the trans from overheating that can cause premature life span or failure if you drive through the mountains or steep hills above 1500 lbs. Heat kills. Don't forget about brakes in that same terrain, slippage and soft brakes around those skinny mountain roads can be scary with good brakes and not towing anything... Personally, I wouldn't tow without a cooler, that me though...

I have a 99 modded Camaro SS and installed a high stall TC and the first step I did was installed a trans cooler to help dissipate the heat generated by the TC to save my trans.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Hi Everyone, I have the same question. I have a 2018 Traverse and it sounds as the V92 package biggest upgrade is the larger radiator with transmission cooler.

I am looking to haul approx. 4000# but would obviously need to upgrade the radiator etc..

I wonder if there are any transmission differences. I am going to the dealer on Wednesday to discuss.

Did you read my Post #4? If what you're pulling is a large sail, I'd get a pickup truck with more capacity than 5000 lbs.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
239 Posts
2x
At the 4k level it's pickup or Tahoe.
Greentraverse has experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts

I have the 2018 Traverse LT with the tow package pulling a 4000lb dry weight dual axle travel trailer (4500lb loaded) with a weight-distributing hitch. I use the Curt Echo Bluetooth brake controller (wireless) and get 14mpg overall at 60 mph. Hardly know the trailer is back there it pulls so smoothly. The trans temp rises to 200 degrees Fahrenheit when towing in hot weather and hills (normally ~170 degrees).
In addition to the trans cooler, I would expect engine and transmission calibration changes in normal and tow mode are included with the tow package. Not sure if you have the tow mode selection without the tow hitch option.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Tow mode selection is only available when you have the tow option.

Reactions: snobrdrdan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Adding the GM cooler is possible. I am not sure I agree with the dealer about the warranty comment as it relates to a specific Act Relating to voiding warranty. I forget the name but it starts with M something.

I found the cooler here: OEM Trans Oil Cooler for 2019 Chevrolet Traverse | GMPartsCenter.net

Adding this cooler I feel more confident towing past the 1,500. The Traverse is not a pick-up, but can tow past 1,500. Using the weigh distribution hitch and proper gear selection is very important. Since i do not have the V92, i added the cooler AND I shift the tranny to 8 on the highway flat terrain and 7 anywhere else, city and hilly terrain. 7th gear on the traverse is 1:1 ratio and 8 I believe it .75:1 ratio.

I would not reccomend towing on 9th (or drive) as it is a big overdrive gear. .62:1 ratio if I recall right. You’ll lug the engine and possibly have constant shifting, which causes extreme heat. For those who have the Towing mode, besides using higher shift points it also locks out 9th gear. In other words, i try to recreate the same gear selection as the tow haul mode would.

This cooler dropped my temps by about 30-40 degrees. I would recommend adding a cooler period. The traverse is FW drive with a transaxle. It’s not your typical rear-wheel drive set up.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Easiest enough to monitor the temperature of the transmission fluid. If it is under 240 degrees you will not have a problem. I would check on the availability of a weight distributing hitch if you do tow over 3000 lbs, even though Chevy states it is need to tow more than 5,000 lbs with the Traverse.

Another problem is needing trailer brakes for a trailer (weight varies by state) over a certain weight and you can use a surge brake but ideally you would want electric trailer brakes and a trailer brake controller installed in the car.

There is a reason why the 1/2 ton pickups with crew cabs are so very popular. For 5 to 6 passengers you get a much better vehicle for towing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I added an aux oil cooler and towed a 4000 lb camper. I wasn't happy. Bought a 1/2 ton pickup truck and it was a LOT better. Popups and A-liners only with the Traverse, IMHO. You don't want to pull a sail down the highway with a Traverse.

But if you insist, PM me your email address and I can send you info about adding the V92 package.
Any chance you can pass this info... looking to pull a pop up camper in the 3.5k range...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts