Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 LT with towing package and towed for the first time yesterday, just a Uhaul 5x8. I had it in the tow/haul mode and was surprised when coming to a stop that the auto stop (engine start/stop) was still functioning. For some reason I thought it was supposed to be disabled when in tow/haul mode. Can someone else who has towed and has the towing package please confirm if the engine auto stop continues to function when in tow/haul mode? Thank you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@greentraverse I did read the owners manual but it says "Auto Stops may not occur and/or auto restarts may occur because:" So either tow/haul mode is supposed to keep auto stop from occurring and my Traverse is faulty or on the Traverse the "may" is actually that it doesn't.

I'm hoping that someone who has a 2018-2020 Traverse with tow package can tell me if their vehicle engages auto stop when in tow/haul mode.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
@greentraverse I did read the owners manual but it says "Auto Stops may not occur and/or auto restarts may occur because:" So either tow/haul mode is supposed to keep auto stop from occurring and my Traverse is faulty or on the Traverse the "may" is actually that it doesn't.

I'm hoping that someone who has a 2018-2020 Traverse with tow package can tell me if their vehicle engages auto stop when in tow/haul mode.
Some items are "will not stop," some will stop depending on circumstances, and some will always stop, hence the word "may." GM, in their wisdom, doesn't bother to tell you which items are which. (Probably because they know the majority of owners never read the manual OR they figure it must be obvious.)

Looking at the list, you can pretty much figure out which category the item fits into, although 2 or 3 seem tough to decipher.)

BUT - I'm pretty certain tow/haul would be a "will not stop." One item on the list is related to being on a steep hill or grade, which I would take to mean the engine isn't going to stop there. Re-starting the engine is bad enough with just the car, apparently doing it on a grade is a NoNo - so I'd guess you don't want to try starting the engine while simultaneously trying pull a (potentially) 5,000 lb trailer, either.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine keeps activating the Auto Stop even when in Tow/Haul mode. I'm looking for others to confirm that this is what their 2018-2020 Traverse does when in Tow/haul mode before calling the dealer.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Well, I've been wrong before.......

Good luck with the dealer. I'm betting he'll be no better at guessing than I am. 😁

·
Registered
2020 High Country
243 Posts
May is the key word, like in ''your mileage may vary''.
With a light trailer the system is not detecting heavy throttle usage or high brake pedal application so it may allow AS to operate. System does use those inputs like braking inputs that will implement trans. downshifting in tow/haul with heavier brake usage.
5x8 trailer is probably only in the range of a full passenger / cargo load onboard vehicle itself.
AS is disabled in mine, I've got no worries.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@repairman54 which product do you use to disable the AS? I have been looking at the Range Technologies product but haven't looked into if people on here have tried it. The product costs a bit more and I want to make sure it both works and has no negative effects before spending that kind of money or plugging it into the OBDII port.

Edit: I found the thread where you said that you have the Range product. I'll keep that discussion going in that thread and leave this thread discussing start/stop and tow/haul mode. Thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Traverse LT
14 Posts
I just received my Range module and plugged it in. Have not had a reason to go out and try it yet. I too did some research on Range and the price. Range is owned or a part of Holley Performance. Holley Performance is a performance parts manufacturer ( Holley carbs back in the day was their big claim to fame). They also have several other performance oriented companies in their fold. After review, I felt confident that they spent time (8,000 hours and 100,000 miles) developing this product and have no reservations that it will work as advertised. I am in no way affiliated with Holley, Range, or other company. I am simply a curious and doubting old fart!

·
Registered
2020 Traverse LT
14 Posts
Day 1 with module plugged in. Worked as advertised. And as have all other users on here have said. I think I will like this!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
@repairman54 which product do you use to disable the AS? I have been looking at the Range Technologies product but haven't looked into if people on here have tried it. The product costs a bit more and I want to make sure it both works and has no negative effects before spending that kind of money or plugging it into the OBDII port.

Edit: I found the thread where you said that you have the Range product. I'll keep that discussion going in that thread and leave this thread discussing start/stop and tow/haul mode. Thanks.
Got a link? How difficult is it to install this device?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts