Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am moving about 900 miles away and this will be my first time towing a trailer (about 1800lbs). I will spend most of that time driving on I-81 so there will be some hills. I want to know if I should have the tow/haul mode on the entire time or only when reaching hills. Would I need to use tow/haul and also manually up/downshift gears on hills?

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'd switch to tow/haul mode on at least the hills. If the Traverse is otherwise behaving fine on flat ground you are under the recommended weight for tow/haul mode but if it starts hunting for gears just leave tow/haul mode on.

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
You don't say what year Traverse you have. On the early 1st Gens (e.g., 2011), the owners manual stated:

Tow/Haul is designed to be most
effective when the vehicle and
trailer combined weight is at least
75 percent of the vehicle's Gross
Combined Weight Rating (GCWR).

On the later 1st Gens (e.g., 2017), this statement was been dropped from the owners manual and replaced by:

The Tow/Haul Mode may be used if
the transmission shifts too often.

For 2nd Gens the 2020 Owners Manual says:

Vehicles can tow in D (Drive).
Tow/Haul Mode is recommended
for heavier trailers. See Tow/
Haul Mode 0 194. If the
transmission downshifts too
often, a lower gear may be
selected using Manual Mode

So it appears they've settled on using it if the transmission is shifting too much. Personally, I'd just turn it on and leave it on. That's what I do with my Silverado 2500 and my travel trailer.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
307 Posts
First time towing, put it in tow mode and D and let the vehicle think for it's self. You'll be too busy being stressed on passing and backing up to be worrying about what gear to be in.
1800 lbs is nothing for it to pull. My empty cargo trailer weighs 1500 lbs and pulls behind mine like nothings there.

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
8A16F4E3-A581-40B3-9F03-91D4E3BB6352.jpeg
8A16F4E3-A581-40B3-9F03-91D4E3BB6352.jpeg i tow this roo with my 2017 and all is good. I have the V92 trailer package.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts