Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For once today was sunny and as I reached to pick up something that had rolled out of the trunk and under the car I noticed that the muffler was rusty and with a little more looking I could see this other metal part that was even more corroded :eek:. The first picture is the muffler. The next two capture I am not sure what is this part is ???. It is horizontal to the ground and going into or a least towards the wheel. I know the picture maybe too close up but can you guys/girls identify this piece?

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Re: too much rust

Did you just change the title to this post! I will look under mine when I get home.

·
Registered
139 Posts

Those are your axyl's for the AWD.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
wow- look at that..
I know Id seen a post about the hangers for the exhaust on an outlook rusting...

Id hate to live in snow country

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

6Sixathome said:
Those are your axyl's for the AWD.
Thanks for the quick reply 6. For those of you that have the AWD and live in a climate that has a winter i.e. snow can you take a peek under your Traverse and see if your AWD axles standout because of rust? Also look at your muffler.

·
Registered
80 Posts
relax, i'm in iowa (salt country) that is totally acceptable. that is just surface rust and nothing to worry about. try to run your vehicle once a week through a automatic wash that has undercarriage sprays.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bowtie said:
relax, i'm in iowa (salt country) that is totally acceptable. that is just surface rust and nothing to worry about. try to run your vehicle once a week through a automatic wash that has undercarriage sprays.
Assuming that is an 'acceptable' amount of rust for a less than 1 year old car I am still surprised by it as I had my car rustproofed by what is considered the best rust proofing company in Canada (Krown) last summer :confused:.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Krown has done my car too, but it doesn't last. As soon as you drive it through a few rain showers, it starts to wash away. The main reason I got it rust protected was for those little nooks and crannies that you can't wax. It is inevitable that the in our great land, you will not get away from the salt.

Unless you are fortunate enough to be a snow bird and head south in November and don't come back until April ;)

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont know guys it still seems like way more (surface) rust than I thought possible in less than 1 year.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
Assuming that is an 'acceptable' amount of rust for a less than 1 year old car I am still surprised by it as I had my car rustproofed by what is considered the best rust proofing company in Canada (Krown) last summer :confused:.
Rustproofing is applied to underbody, BUT it is not applied to exhaust ( fear of smell and burning ) .The axles and driveshafts ( if applicable ) are not rustproofed for fear of disturbing the balance of the axles and / or driveshafts.

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
For CooperBeach

These are the images from my 2008 Enclave with 42,000 Km which is in its 2 winter of southern Ontario salt and yuk and 2 Krown applications.

(what looks like a rust tint in the forground of the 3rd picture is not rust but rather "Red Jewel" showing through)

Don't you guys have an image gallery on this site?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bobg1951chevy said:
The axles and driveshafts ( if applicable ) are not rustproofed for fear of disturbing the balance of the axles and / or driveshafts.
Only if the material being applied is 'tar' like. This isnt true of many after market rust protecting thin oils such as one would get at KROWN.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
copperbeech said:
Only if the material being applied is 'tar' like. This isnt true of many after market rust protecting thin oils such as one would get at KROWN.
Geezzz,

There must be a reason why the rustproof company did not shoot the axle shafts. The "tar like" undercoating/rustproofing process is loooong gone in the States, kept flaking and peeling off....... perhaps you should re- contact your rustproof company and ask them to prep and shoot the axle shafts.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bobg1951chevy said:
Geezzz,

There must be a reason why the rustproof company did not shoot the axle shafts. The "tar like" undercoating/rustproofing process is loooong gone in the States, kept flaking and peeling off....... perhaps you should re- contact your rustproof company and ask them to prep and shoot the axle shafts.
Yup. I will inquire further.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts