Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering who has installed tires or brakes .... and when ?

I have 41K on my 09 .... am still OK on both, but wondering.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
I think some have reached 70K on the pads....and I think I saw 80K on the tires (Acadia).
but youre going to find a wide range of mileage.
Im nearing 40,000- and still have I belieave at least 20,000 on the tires
Brakes-- ill know next time I rotate.. but dont expect to need them

·
Registered
254 Posts
On my 09, I got to just about 30,000 miles and the wear bars were almost touching. This was true on all 4 tires. I rotate them every other oil change, and kept them inflated correctly. The Forteras IMHO are junk tires, not aggressive, not a deep tread pattern especially for a SUV. Replaced them with Sigma tires (made by Cooper), and I've got about 1000 miles on them now, quiet, ride nice, and very good traction (not a lot of choices in the 18" range). Maybe our roads here in Upstate NY are harder on the tires, but several other people I've talked to that own Traverse's have experienced the same tire life (for example: My Brother-in-law bought his Traverse one month before I got mine, and with mostly highway driving, only got about the same mileage, before he replaced his). One thing for sure around here, is you don't want to go through winter with bald tires.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Ok my brakes are still holding up well at 41,000 miles sill at least 65% left. I do service the brakes every spring and fall. It seems to make a big difference on the Lamda's. I have an LS so I'm running the 17 inch Generals and rotate regularly. They are wore down close to the wear bars but were still just good enough to make it through this winter. The will definitely have to come off at 43,000 to 45,000 miles. Probably will replace them before we go on Vacation this year.

The tire/brake wear is more on these just from a pure weight standpoint. Even though most of us are getting good millage your still rolling and stopping a heavy vehicle.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I do service the brakes every spring and fall.

What do you do to service them?

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
Patverse said:
On my 09, I got to just about 30,000 miles and the wear bars were almost touching. This was true on all 4 tires.
Maybe our roads here in Upstate NY are harder on the tires
My Brother-in-law bought his Traverse one month before I got mine, and with mostly highway driving, only got about the same mileage, before he replaced his).
ONLY 30,000! wow.. thats not much.
In a little surprissed that your brother in laws tires got about the same miles- considering they were mostly highway miles.

Last week I had 8 people on board- and we went up and down some mountains with engine braking and the curvy roads- and I thought--- these turns and braking im sure are wearing into the tires....
Heres a pic of my tires at 38,500. In now at 39,300. I also do lots of stop and go here in Los Angeles freeway traffic.... I must be doing something right.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I wash and clean out the pad channels Grease the pins to keep the calipers moving.

And use a high temperature graphite lube thin coat on the pad ends that go in the channels. Not so much to lube them it keeps them from rusting and the paint from flaking off...

Oh no now everyone knows my secret.

·
Registered
254 Posts
rbarrios said:
In a little surprissed that your brother in laws tires got about the same miles- considering they were mostly highway miles.

Last week I had 8 people on board- and we went up and down some mountains with engine braking and the curvy roads- and I thought--- these turns and braking im sure are wearing into the tires....
Heres a pic of my tires at 38,500. In now at 39,300. I also do lots of stop and go here in Los Angeles freeway traffic.... I must be doing something right.

I wish, I had taken pictures of MY tires at 30,000. They looked nothing like yours. I wonder if NY uses a different type of asphalt for the harsh weather conditions (more abrasive?) or the salt makes a difference? I do know that talking to a few of my other buddies, the short life of the tires is not tied exclusively to the Traverses, I know of two others with Impala's that only got about 30,000 miles as well before replacement was needed. Makes you wonder... :confused:

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
well on our impala... we had to get new tires because we got a nail in the sidewall of one--- and didnt want to deal with the different sized tire causing stabilitrack issues....

so I dont know how long we could have gone..

On my Trailblazer- I changed out the factory tires at 88,000. (could have gone a little more).... but others on the Trailblazer forum-- were only getting 30-60K....I put on identical OEM tires on the trailblazer- now at 161,000 were still on those replacements.

As far as roadway--- I dont know- we have blacktop here- and cement.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The agragate in asphalt and concrete varies by what is available in different parts of the country. No one is going to pay to haul the ideal type of rock from one part of the country to another. Some rock is harder than others and crushing it to the proper size leaves sharper edges that can cut inro the tread more agressivly than the softer types of rock so you get fewer miles out of your tires.

My '04 Trailblazer got 47,000 from it's OEM tires. My '09 Trav should get near 40,000 before replaced later this year. I never let them get too close to having the wear bars showing and these Goodyear tires are doing poorer than I expected.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Most of the main roads around me are concrete and that stuff just lays waist to your tires. I actually expected mine to be wore out already.

·
Registered
718 Posts
rbarrios said:

rbarrois - do you know how many 32nds you have left on those? I'll be rotating tires this weekend and checking to see what is left after 23,500 miles on them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
like Bayner66 said it depends on what type of stones are in the asphalt, road conditions like potholes are very hard on the thread wear.
The roads here have plenty of harsh potholes . :sosad:
I will glad if my Goodyears reach 31-40000 miles / 50-65000 km before i replace them.

·
Registered
465 Posts
jwhjr said:
rbarrois - do you know how many 32nds you have left on those? I'll be rotating tires this weekend and checking to see what is left after 23,500 miles on them.
say 6/32 to 5/32 of an inch thread , it all those smooth road and your smooth acceleration that gets you excellent fuel mileage , tire wear and long life from your brakes. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
i dont know what its at...
Ive never seen a tread gauge... then again- never looked for one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
45k on Traverse and 2nd set almost worn out. My other car Mercury Sable Awd has 38000 on 80k Continentials and are shot. Rotate every 6000 miles. Must be the roads here in Pa.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
I checked the tread when I rotated tires today, and it was 7/32nds on all 4 tires in all of the grooves on each tire. The initial tread depth on these tires is 11/32nds. It's nice to see that at least they are wearing evenly. 23,552 miles (I'm 1000 overdue from my normal rotation due to being unable to do the work because of elbow surgery) on the tires now, and the way they're wearing we should get around 50K or so on them before needing to be replaced.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
jwhjr said:
Since I had my water pump replaced yesterday- The dealer did a vehicle inspection- they list all 4 tires at 7/32s.- not bad for 39,451 miles.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts