Traverse Forum banner

tires 2017 traverse

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Jaef65 
#1 ·
I am going to get new tires in a couple of days and am wondering what type you people have tired that helps or eliminate the front tires from bouncing when the roads are wet when you first take off.--car came with P255/65r18 looking at a little bigger tire P265/60R Goodyear.---thanks doug

#4 ·
I generally go with the best cost/rating ratio on TireRack and try to source them locally for a similar price. I may try a set of Uniroyals on my Traverse in the Spring, they have a new tire for my 18" wheel that is getting some pretty good reviews and cost hundreds less.

#6 ·
I hate my Continental Contacts in the rain and so far they have not been any better in the snow. '18 Traverse Redline with 20" wheels. I had forgotten about "Snow Mode" so I will try that next with current Contacts. I have had better luck starting from a stop in the rain while uphill by putting the transmission in manual and starting in '3'.

I've been considering snow tires but new 20" wheels and snow tires are prohibitively expensive. I am wondering if I could go with the 18" wheels of the stock version for winter. I am going to look into that.

#8 ·
Changing the size of tires is not the answer for your issue. You have probably the Fortera on your Traverse if they are the original tires that came with the car when new. These are the ones that I have and i am completely happy with them. As the tires wears with the milleage they certainly loose their traction and if you have to brake quickly on wet pavement the grip will be much less than a new tire and the traction control will come in action .

#9 ·
My review of the Forteras...

-OK in the rain... they are fine on just wet roads but heavy rains and deep puddles make the vehicle wander more than my Sonata with Michelin Premiers and the Pilot with Pirelili Scorpion Verdes.
-Excellent in the snow and wintry much. Felt extremely sure footed.
-No complaints about dry traction.
-They are halfway through their tread life, everything is wearing even but they are noisy.
-All 4 tires have "dry rotting" in the tread and on the sidewall right next to the bead. I'm limping them through the winter and replacing before the spring rains set in, don't need to spend $800 right around Christmas.
-Excellent looks, just aggressive enough to make the Traverse look a little bit more off-road worthy.

#10 ·
If you look into the recalls there was one on the Fortera with cracking on the treads. It was related to certains years and they posted the numbers code on the sidewalls.

#11 ·
Mine were 4 months newer than the latest date on the recall! Missed it by THAT much!

#14 ·
Have never liked the Forteras on our '10 and '17. Replaced both around 50k with Michelin's, first LTX MS on the '10, now Defender LTX on the '17. The '10 had about 65k on them when we traded in and they were still ok. Much better tire in the snow, rain, less road noise and better treadlife. The short lived '16 had the 20s and came with the Bridgestones, they seemed ok.

#15 ·
Just had Toyo Open Country QTs installed on Saturday.
Went with the Open Country over the Celcius.

When the 2 tires are compared- only Fuel Efficiency and Winter Handling were BETTER in the Celsius over the Open Country.
But I dont have much of a winter here in Los Angeles.

the Open country was rated BATTER over the Celcius in the following
Dry Handling
Wet Handling
Ride Comfort
Quiet Ride
Tread Life

Tread depth is also 13 on open country while its 12 on Celsius. MM I guess.
Warranty is also 65,000 on open country while Celsius us 60,000.

4 tires in P255/65R18- with install/balance and CA tax.. $755.

#16 ·
My '14 is getting the Forteras replaced with Michelin X LT AS... basically the warehouse store version of the Defender LTX. Costco is doing $110 off so all 4 tires is running me just over $800. They are guaranteed to be quieter than the Forteras and have better wet traction. I always liked the Forteras in the snow but I had the original LTX M/S and they were awesome in the snow as well.

I'm just looking forward to some quiet tires for our trip from MD to Orlando in May.

#18 ·
I had them on my 013 Subaru Forester, but traded it in on a 2017 Traverse AWD, the traverse has General Tires on it, I presume they came stock on it when it was new, si certification there was only 32,000 miles on it when I bought it. Three of the tire have 44, 000 miles on them now, and the other was replaced fairly early, and has 7/8 of the original tread remaining. My thought was either to replace the original 3 while there is still considerable tread left in the forth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.