Traverse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just retorqued the wheel nuts to 140 lb/ft , all of them were slightly below torque values only two of the nuts were correct . Only have 1200 km and I just came back from a 400 km break in drive yesterday , what acceleration for passing :happy:.
Has anyone else checked their wheel nuts since you got your Traverse? The info can be found on page 12-2 of your owners manual :angel:

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Yes I have...
When I rotated my tires...
Ill be rotating again in some months...

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is good , helps improve brakes from wrapping.
When you rotate tires have you had any problems with the computer recogizing that the tires position have changed?
Back tires to front and fronts to the back? :eyebrow:
Nice pic of your torque wrench, 3/4 inch drive ?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
2LT AWD said:
When you rotate tires have you had any problems with the computer recogizing that the tires position have changed?
You must follow a procedure to allow recognition of new wheel positions.

Bob

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bobg1951chevy said:
You must follow a procedure to allow recognition of new wheel positions.

Bob
Like what , reflash the computer to reconigize the tire rotation has been done :confused:

·
Registered
324 Posts
It involves bleeding air from the tires in sequence after setting the computer up for it. It's in the owner's manual. Tire shops have a tool to reset the new position, I believe.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's actually quite easy. You start the procedure, then go from Left-Front and bleed just a little out, till the horn beeps. Then rotate CLOCKWISE around the truck (so next would be right front, followed by right rear, etc) till the horn chirps each time.

Then you can go back in and verify your pressures are set to spec (spec being the sticker inside the drivers doorframe) by filling them back up with a little air. When I've done it in the past, it only took 2-3 pounds of air to leak out before the horn chirped, so you're only putting back in about that much.

You can either have a valvestem style tire pressure gauge, OR you can hop between the current wheel of focus and the DIC display that shows that tire's pressure level. Car on "key on, run mode" but not necessarily engine running to get that.

If you have your dealer rotate your tires with some sort of maintenance package, they can just point their "tech2" to the wheel and press a button and retrain the new tire positions that way.

hope this helps. Once you do it one or two times, it becomes very easy and quick to do.

::)

·
Registered
212 Posts
The TPMS sensors can also be matched to each tire/wheel position by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure. If increasing the tire's air pressure, do not exceed the maximum inflation pressure indicated on the tire's sidewall. To decrease air-pressure out of a tire you can use the pointed end of the valve cap, a pencil-style air pressure gauge, or a key. You have two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer than two minutes, to match the first tire and wheel, or more than five minutes to match all four tire and wheel positions the matching process stops and you need to start over. The TPMS sensor matching process is outlined below:

1. Set the parking brake.
2. Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN with the engine off.
3. Press the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter's LOCK and UNLOCK buttons at the same time for approximately five seconds. The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
4. Start with the driver side front tire.
5. Remove the valve cap from the valve cap stem. Activate the TPMS sensor by increasing or decreasing the tire's air pressure for five seconds, or until a horn chirp sounds. The horn chirp, which may take up to 30 seconds to sound, confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
6. Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
7. Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5.
8. Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 5. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and the PMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the DIC display screen goes off.
9. Turn the ignition switch to LOCK/OFF.
10. Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.
11. Put the valve caps back on the valve stems.

·
Registered
202 Posts
yea, what he said. :thumb: ::) ::)

:happy:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Does anyone know where you can pick up the tool that the Dealer uses to reset the sensor.I have nitgren in my tire and I just can't put air in and let air out.If it is not to expensive.Thanks

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
2LT AWD said:
I had so much trouble with the TPMS (relearn) on my Impala-- (as in I had to take it to dealer- for them to use the machine to do the relearn-after about 60-80 failed attempts on my part)--- that on the Traverse-- I have not attempted the relearn procedure. I simply did not reset-
I know where the tires where moved to-- so I just check to see the air pressure is withing parameters...
I always carry a digital air pressure monitor...

yes nice torque wrench...- I believe it is 3/4

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
the older TPMS sensors on GM's could be forced into the reset mode-- by putting a strong magnet by the TPMS sensor....
the newer ones- like the ones on our Traverse... require an electronic gizmo- and or the Tech2 scantool. (or the relearn procedure).

Like mentioned earlier--- on my Impala-- I WILL NOT attempt the relearn on that car anymore...
The 1 time I tried it-- It must have been a good 60-80 times that I tried--- I could sometimes get 1 of 4, 2 of 4 or 3 of 4 to chirp the horn...
BUT NEVER 4 of 4. The 4th one-- never chirped-- and the system would time out---
Interestingly-- if I tried the 4th sensor as the 1st one--- it would chirp right away... odd...
Several times I got the tires looking flat.
I tried after car had been sitting for some hrs- and right after the car had been driven... I even tried PUTTING AIR IN- nothing...
Researched the tool---- too expensive-- and I tried the magnet..
I just drove it to the dealer- and said-- I give up....
$18 later-- and about 10 min later--- they were reset...
On the impala-- I WILL NOT attempt the relearn.
Ill simply use the readings from the DIC and then check with my handhelp pressure gauge...
on the Traverse... im in no hurry to try the relearn...

·
Registered
202 Posts
rbarrios said:
on the Traverse... im in no hurry to try the relearn...
They have come a long way, rbarrios. They really have. ::)

·
Registered
70 Posts
I torqued the wheels to 140 lb/ft but did not check for any looseness on the removal side although lugs felt OK on removal. Resetting the tire pressure sensors worked easily for me, sorry for those who had trouble. I took the opportunity to thoroughly clean the inside of the rims and covered the weights with aluminum tape to keep them in place. I use simple green quite often and didn't want to lose the weights. I had previously posted a photo of the tape and was surprised no one mentioned it, I thought it was a great idea. This is aluminum tape, not duct tape. Very light and sticks like crazy, and its waterproof. Another photo of the tape job below

vetmann
2010 Traveler's Ed.
1200 ZRX
ZR1
Prius

Attachments

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
wow-- looks pretty clean.

I will clean my rims--- before I go get new tires in the future.
When theyre dirty-- they use some solution to clean the brake dust... this cleaner can sometimes etch into the rims clear coat--- leaving a slight stain.
(happened to our impala)-- I noticed it and cleaned it right away... it slightly stained the rim on some parts... that are hard to see--- but I see them everytime I clean the rims.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts