Traverse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya everyone!

I saw this article today on ConsumerReports.org about tire ratings coming soon:

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/04/consumer-reports-nhtsa-publishes-a-final-rule-on-car-tire-fuel-efficiency.html?EXTKEY=I91CONL&CMP=OTC-ConsumeristRSS

I hadn't heard of this before, so I thought I'd post it up. My apologies if I'm behind the times.

One thing I learned, that makes complete sense, is that MPG goes up as a tire ages (all other factors being equal I suppose).

I've been following the threads on the MPG wars. It seems we get better mileage as the engine "breaks-in", but I wonder how much is also due to the tires wearing.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Trick414 said:
Heya everyone!

I've been following the threads on the MPG wars. It seems we get better mileage as the engine "breaks-in", but I wonder how much is also due to the tires wearing.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw this out there.
I'm no expert, but I would think the gains from tire wear would be very small over the 8,000 or so miles that most engines seem to loosen up in. I imagine the gains from less tire squirm wouldn't become substantial until well after 50% tread life. Just my 2 cents. I like your thinking, though!

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
tires should be rotated every 5000 to 8000 miles- as per the manual.

you should also inspect tires every so often to check for funny wear, nails, debris,etc.

Some people rotate tires at every oil change (if they do oil changes in the 5-8K range).
Some do rotations every 10,000 miles- easy number to remember.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts